Bright future for Thai jasmine rice in Australia

webfact

Bright future for Thai jasmine rice in Australia

BANGKOK, 7 September 2013 (NNT) - The Ministry of Commerce is gearing up to promote organic Thai jasmine rice in Australia following the increasing popularity of Thai rice down under.

Director-General of the Department of Foreign Trade Pranee Siriphan said on Friday that the department would lead Thai trade representatives to promote Thai rice at the Fine Food Australia 2013 to be organized at the Sydney Convention and Exhibition Centre in Sydney, Australia from 7-13 September 2013. The department chose Australia since Thai rice had been well received by the country and its demand there was rising, Ms Pranee said.

Australia imports around 20-25 tons of organic Thai jasmine rice each year. From January to June 2013, 17.7 tons of rice worth 1.28 million baht was exported to the country. The director-general said the department was confident the rice would do very well in Australia as Australians were health-conscious and had high purchasing power.

The Fine Food Australia is the largest food and beverage fair in Australia. Most of the visitors are businessmen, importers, retailers, wholesalers, sales representatives and restaurateurs.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-07 footer_n.gif

In another few months the rice scheme issues will all have been solved. Specific sales contract details are commercially sensitive and confidential, many at the request of the buyer, so simply cannot be revealed. But, the government will have worked hard on solving this issue, most of the rice will have been sold (sorry can't reveal the opening stock figure, sales volumes and closing stock figure - all commercially sensitive and confidential).

But the net result will be the scheme will have produced a profit for the nation, as well as improving the living standards of many farmers and their families.

It's all about taking the long term, broader view. If only the actual figures could be released you might understand - but sorry, cannot do, confidential.

Just wait the announcement. which will be dwarfed by the excitement of spending the 2.2 trillion.

They've got to feed all those boat refugees something.

And no one apart from Aussies eats Vegemite.

Well you don't get permanent residency or citizenship unless you can gulp down a nice big desert spoon full in one go. It's nectar of the gods.

• Like 1

Well you don't get permanent residency or citizenship unless you can gulp down a nice big desert spoon full in one go. It's nectar of the gods.

Ambrosia, surely.

• Like 2

Nectar of the Gods? i think you mean the real thing ,marmite is the nectar of the gods ,vegamite is the poor mans copy, a bit like fake dvd"sbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Australia imports around 20-25 tons of organic Thai jasmine rice each year.

Good news for the Thai rice farmers.

Now all Australia needs to do is import the 10,000,000 tons of rice in storage and all will be well.

I wonder if everyone has noticed the article says "organic" rice, not the regular stuff that is the type in storage?

If the marketing development that seems normal is used, the "organic stamp" can be ready post haste, our PM will be shown eating a spoonful and its right to go.

The paid trip down under for government flunkeys, cronies, etc is now justified. Even though the amount of organic jasmine rice grown/produced in Thailand could probably be shipped on the planned flight and given away as free samples for a day or so.

Ambrosia, surely.

Who cares? It really doesn't manna.

I wonder if the rice trade delegation are aware of:

"Growing Rice in Australia The Australian rice industry is one of the highest yielding and most water efficient rice industries in the world. The industry operates without any government assistance for production and international trade, unlike many of its competitors.
The Australian rice industry has used strong industry coordination, commitment to research and development, and commitment to product development to make rice production in Australia and its marketing around the world so successful.

Rice is a major export for Australia. The Riverina produces an average annual crop of around 800,000 tonnes of paddy.

SunRice exports 80% of production as branded packages of Australian rice to close to 60 countries around the world."

http://www.sunrice.com.au/about-us/education/growing-rice-in-australia

• Like 1

In another few months the rice scheme issues will all have been solved. Specific sales contract details are commercially sensitive and confidential, many at the request of the buyer, so simply cannot be revealed. But, the government will have worked hard on solving this issue, most of the rice will have been sold (sorry can't reveal the opening stock figure, sales volumes and closing stock figure - all commercially sensitive and confidential).

But the net result will be the scheme will have produced a profit for the nation, as well as improving the living standards of many farmers and their families.

It's all about taking the long term, broader view. If only the actual figures could be released you might understand - but sorry, cannot do, confidential.

Just wait the announcement. which will be dwarfed by the excitement of spending the 2.2 trillion.

Yes I have been wondering what percent of that 2.2 trillion baht will go to prop up the rice fiasco.

If they find some one dumb enough to lend it to them I wonder what they will do for the Rubber plantation owners and any other agricultural business that is on wobbly legs.

hahahahaha, maybe someone should tell him that Australia produces its own rice and sells it to the rest of the world, they also do not let contaminated produce into the country so maybe the minister is just a bit off base. Last I looked basamatti rice is the popular one there for importing but what would I know, I am only an aussie with no thai schooling.

• Like 1

Hahahahaha. Australians are health conscious! !

Haven't we just tipped the scales as the most obese nation on earth per capita?

Even outweighing our seppo brothers.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Do you have brothers in Mexico? They are now the fattest country on earth. No need for you to

worry, even with your diet of fried everything, you are still only 21st on the list of fat countries.

Had no idea that Australia exported rice, learn something every day. What a silly story this is,

with Thailand exporting 25 tons of rice to Australia, against their production of 800,000 tons.

And yeah, I think that profit on that 1.3 million baht of rice sold to Australia will see be eaten

up by the junket with the family members.... :-)

Where do you buy organic rice here? Or is it only for export? rolleyes.gif

My wife's family grows organic rice, still use pesticides and fertilisers on it but it's called organic.

O course it's organic. tongue.png

or·gan·ic
ôrˈganik/
adjective
adjective: organic
of, relating to, or derived from living matter.
"organic soils"
synonyms: living, live, animate, biological, biotic

Had no idea that Australia exported rice, learn something every day. What a silly story this is,

with Thailand exporting 25 tons of rice to Australia, against their production of 800,000 tons

And the US grows and exports a lot of rice too ...

BUT Long grain jasmine ?? Right ---- Thats the high end market, and if they sell it correctly its a market that will continue to grow. Of course Vietnam sells long grain jasmine also. Just need to sell a good product and don't mix long grain wth cheaper paddy and this is the future.

with Thailand exporting 25 tons of rice to Australia, against their production of 800,000 tons

And the US grows and exports a lot of rice too ...

BUT Long grain jasmine ?? Right ---- Thats the high end market, and if they sell it correctly its a market that will continue to grow. Of course Vietnam sells long grain jasmine also. Just need to sell a good product and don't mix long grain wth cheaper paddy and this is the future.

Yes I understand the high end market part, and that makes sense. Guess my humor was directed at the government crowing about selling 25 tons of rice, when they have 20 millions tons of rice rotting away.... Regarding USA and jasmine rice, I recall a story a few years ago where Thailand was very angry that USA has cracked the coding for jasmine rice and was producing its own...

Eyes WO posted

Guess my humor was directed at the government crowing about selling 25 tons of rice, when they have 20 millions tons of rice rotting away

That’s because you are involved n all that politics stuff – get rid of the current government, banish the man form Dubai and Thailand will suddenly blossom into a land of milk and Honey. It’s so preposterous I burst out laughing whenever I hear it. biggrin.png

More serious matters – rice cookers – popularity of Asian food - Thai food in the west has sent demand on an upward spiral for high end product – Rice is not a staple in the US Oz or yuro land so they are quite willing to buy the tastiest – after all it’s not all that expensive - relatively.

Sadly a number of years ago, customers complained because high grade Thai jasmine – or what was sold as it, turned out to be – mixed with cheap paddy. Yup the rice millers and exporters couldn’t abide by a good profit, they wanted to make killing. US buyers complained and I assume that is why they were checking for pesticides and chemicals recently n the exports to the US. There is a past history of deception and fraud – So here you have a cash cow that is only to grow n the decades and you shoot yourself n the foot – and let Vietnam steal a march.

This has nothing to do with Reds and Yellows, so doubtless you are not concerned EWO

Edited by LomSak27

The fine Food Fair is mainly aimed at the Restaurants and catering industry . We get free tickets almost every year but very rarely go. If they are hoping to sell 20-25 tonnes of organic jasmine rice then good luck to them . Most Thai / asian restaurants will buy the cheapest and that ain't Thai at the moment.

The trendy rice at the moment is Bishmanti from Pakistan and it is comparable in price to Thai rice. I wonder if it has occurred to the Thai delegation that they may have better luck with Brown rice especially if it marketed as "organic" .

Anyway the junket delegates will no doubt have a good time and will report back to the government how successful they were Everybody will be happy .