Which new TV to buy

Squigy

I can only tell you what I have on my Samsung Smart TV is that when its connected to the internet and you change the smart hub to the UK you will get all the UK Apps like BBC iplayer, ITV iplayer. Channel 4, Channel 5 and netflix plus many more. Now I use a DNS service to enable me to use all this apps and watch HD TV programs. There is also skype and facebook, sports apps and news apps that work great so its up to you what you want from a TV.

Regards

Scotsman

Which model?
http://m.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE55ES8000UXXU

I can only tell you what I have on my Samsung Smart TV is that when its connected to the internet and you change the smart hub to the UK you will get all the UK Apps like BBC iplayer, ITV iplayer. Channel 4, Channel 5 and netflix plus many more. Now I use a DNS service to enable me to use all this apps and watch HD TV programs. There is also skype and facebook, sports apps and news apps that work great so its up to you what you want from a TV.

Regards

Scotsman

Which model?
http://m.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE55ES8000UXXU

Which DNS service do you use?

I am thinking of just getting an external Android box to plug into my Samsung Smart TV as from what I see of Samsung Smart Hub environment, it seems less configurable?

• 7 months later...

Thanks guys (from a non tech head).

I have been researching mid-larger TVs & home theatres.

LED - seems to be more appropriate than plasma

3D - not yet

My wife - watches UK f/ball (soccer) & Thai TV

Me - ABC Australia - rugby league

Recommendations -

Sharp - LED - 60" - 60LA6200 - B60500

Panasonic - 55" - TH-L55ET60 - B42939

Sony - LED - 3D - 55" - 55W904A - B44150

Samsung - LED - 3D - 55" - UA55H6400 - B37000 or B50010

LG - 3D - 60" 60406200 - B42900

My preferences - few remote controls

Wireless?

With the above, a home theatre - good idea? - again, I refer to as few remote controls as possible, wireless & mainly sport. I listen to a FEW CDs & we watch FEWER DVDs.

While I have your attention, any recommendations on laptops/tablets? This is NOT for me! (I like a Desktop). For the wife - playing games & maybe an attachment to the new TV (I have no understanding of downloading shows from the internet).

Pay TV - currently, we have CTH & TrueVision, We watch - UK f/ball, Thai TV, Oz TV (incl rugby league). TrueVision is coming up for renewal or retirement. CTH or other - we will have 2-3 connections (I am not a Scot but kineo).

At present, we are living in a condo but moving into a house at end of year.

Edited by cnx37

LG screen quality is currently judged as the poorest brand name on the market.

Samsung is among the highest.

3D pointless, nobody uses it for more than 1 movie.

SMART, a PC does it better and cheaper.

Hi mate. You and -tchooptip don't seem to be very impressed with smart tv. I'm doing my homework before I buy a new tv, and was wondering about smart and how good it works here in Thailand (although the country may not make any difference). Cripes, it's a jungle out there - I don't want to buy something that is going to be of no use, so if you could offer your opinion on smart, I'll be your slave for life. That is your next life, of course. Cheers.

Buy the best simple no frills screen you can afford.

(Samsung 51" plasma full HD screen is about 25k)\

Add to that a box for all the smart stuff, plenty of Android boxes like the Minix will do way more than any SMART Tv, and when everything changes you can just buy a new box.

Utorrent, A Zyxel NAS can be had for 2k5, add a hard drive of a size you fancy.

Screen + player + NAS is the way to go IMHO.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I have posted here & made inquiry in BKK (I live in CNX).

The products offered (sometimes at a substantial "discount") invariably do NOT appear in the manufacturers' website! Discontinued items - obsolete?

Particularly, I refer to Sony & Samsung.

Any retailers you would recommend in BKK or CNX? In CNX, I usually go to Nyom Pannitch (near Airport Plaza).

Any brands & models (not LG)?

I am looking for a 50"-55" - LED/LCD (I do not know the difference - plasma - No?) - simple to operate - not too many "bells & whistles".

Other - home theatre/audio - recommended or no? Brand & model? Last time, I spent B100k on Yamaha (STUPID) - quality superb but do not "need" such! Say B5k-B20k. Compatibility with TV vital. Wireless - a bonus! Few remote controls - a bonus! I listen to a FEW Cds & watch a FEW DVDs only - maybe a mini is OK.

"DOs & DONT's"?

I'm thinking of buying an LG 47" LA623T from Big C - 26,594 baht.

Looks good, has lots of Smart features, http://www.lg.com/sg/tvs/lg-47LA623T/technical-specifications

Any thoughts?

Unfortunately that link does not work.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry about that. It still works for me:

post-35489-0-25930000-1401372768_thumb.j

Edit:

And sorry about the quality of that image - it's perfect on my PC and over 2 MB. Here, it's about 54 KB after uploading. I feel a Support Forum thread about to be started...

Edited by JetsetBkk

Tesco have a fair amount of TVs on sale until 4 June, and you can get another 1,000 baht off on some using your member card.

The base level, non-smart full HD 40" (39"?) Samsung (UA 40EH5000RXT) unit is normally 14,490, on sale for 12,950, and with a member card 11,950 all in. Two HDMI, one USB, plays everything.

http://www.tescolotus.com/promotion.php?lang=en

post-9615-0-79265200-1401510292_thumb.jp

LG screen quality is currently judged as the poorest brand name on the market.

Samsung is among the highest.

3D pointless, nobody uses it for more than 1 movie.

SMART, a PC does it better and cheaper.

Hi mate. You and -tchooptip don't seem to be very impressed with smart tv. I'm doing my homework before I buy a new tv, and was wondering about smart and how good it works here in Thailand (although the country may not make any difference). Cripes, it's a jungle out there - I don't want to buy something that is going to be of no use, so if you could offer your opinion on smart, I'll be your slave for life. That is your next life, of course. Cheers.

Non Smart TV + a cheap android box plugged in (look up ROKU) is the same as a Smart TV for a lot less money. The unotelly recommendation made earlier in conjunction with this allows you access to worldwide free-to-stream TV like iPlayer, 4od and offers the ability to pay for services like Netflix as well as the ability to watch downloaded movies using DLNA.

I do have a Smart TV but no longer use the built in internet functionality - I just run all TV from a ROKU box and have the unotelly DNS set up on my router.

• 2 months later...

I spent a few days reviewing Tv's before purchase;

I came to the conclusion(s);

1. smart TV is not possible until they put a good PC processor in the TV use a laptop or tablet connected via HDMI and get a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse for best interactive results.

2. 3D gives me a headache when I tried both active and passive so didn't bother

3. This leaves, basically, price, screen size and most importantly picture quality.

I would say picture quality and screen size are most important but don't overpay for gimmicks.

4. There is no substitute for going and having a look in store, take your time and the assistants to play various inputs both HD and SD through the screens. Take advantage of offer and up to 10% off with the correct credit card.

5. I purchased a SONY because it gave the best picture with both HD and SD. It came with a free bluRay player I found out at checkout!! You can also extend warranty free on Sony web site if you register TV.

However it's all about personal choice. There are cheaper Sonys coming on to the Thai market SONY KDL-50W704A-NET 50" for 29Kbht. However are edge lit using A not A+ LED's and have darker edge light problems with some reports of "bent" screens. Great value BUT hang on until they sort out the bugs. Include a built in digital tuner but as a box only costs 1000 bht (HD version) then shouldn't sway you.

My advice in short - set a price limit (taking into account deals they offer) and then pick best picture quality for your buck. I chose Sony KDL46EX650 paid 22.5Kbht two years ago, Bargain at homepro now with doubled warranty online Had no problems with it

Your choice may be different? Good luck

If you could wait a year, new 4K TVs will be the norm. A true step ahead from present generation full HDTVs

same as 3D content the camera's are not there. NTT's DoCoMo i leading there. you will not get content for 4K The cameras are way to low for 4k. so if you buy 4k or super HD you've got nothing super to watch.

Full HD will do for the next 3-5years , this is the average lifespan for a tv set anyway,so why join the next hype?

Cameras are to low for 4K? Stop making crap up.

I must admit i hardly ever watch TV ! ( unless it's raining! ) but my advice is that if you are going to " plug into the TV an external hard drive " Via USB to watch downloaded movies or music then i would take the hard drive with you into the shop to test it with your new TV ! ( a lot of these TV's including some of the new expensive ones have difficulty reading a few of the file formats such as AVI, MP4, MP3 ,etc etc!!!