Making war on corruption

Lite Beer

PEOPLE IN THE NEWS
Making war on corruption
Hataikarn Treesuwan
The Sunday Nation
30214360-01_big.gif

BANGKOK: -- As he hangs up his anti-graft hat and prepares for retirement, Klanarong Chanthick muses on his career and life after the NACC

He's spent his entire career battling corruption in high places but now, 36 years after joining Thailand's National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), Klanarong Chanthick is stepping down from his job though he admits old habits die hard and he'll be back investigating very soon.

A symbol of the NACC for more than a decade, Klanarong shot to fame in 2001 when he successfully prosecuted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra in the Constitutional Court for concealing his assets.

He doesn't however like the anti-Thaksin label that has stuck to him ever since.

"I had and have no bias towards or against the ex-premier," he says, pointing out that he also did not have the authority to decide whether Thaksin was guilty or not.

"I was not a commissioner at that time but was representing the plaintiff, which happened to be the NACC. My role was to present the evidence that Thaksin had deliberately concealed part of his assets.

"I was both lawyer and witness, which is why the public perceived me as Thaksin's enemy. But I have never hated him and I always work without prejudice," Klanarong says.

A lawyer by training, Klanarong started his career at the anti-graft body as a legal officer. He made his way up the ranks, becoming director and eventually secretary general before retiring in 2003 at the age of 60. The idle life didn't last: After the 2006 coup, he returned to work as a commissioner in the NACC and was appointed spokesman, a position he holds today.

"But this time I am retiring, on September 18, which is my 70th birthday," he says with a smile.

In the meantime, he's focusing on closing the cases under his responsibility, among them the rice pledging scandal.

"I don't care how influential the people I am investigating are. I just play my role. I'm proud of all cases that I work on," Klanarong says, adding that no matter how hard the NACC works, the Commission can never satisfy all sides.

"I used to ask red shirts supporters why they always picked on me to berate. They said I was the only commissioner they knew. That's when I understood I had become a symbol of NACC," he says.

A symbol perhaps but Klanarong claims that he can walk without fearing for his life around such red shirt-dominated hot spots as Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Udon Thani.

"When I meet them, they just greet me; they don't threaten me. I still enjoy travelling and shopping in those areas," he says.

While Klanarong has no regrets about winning or losing his cases, he says he was sad when the NACC was asked to investigate Maj Sanan Kachornprasart, the late former Democrat secretary general, for a false declaration of assets. Sanan was found guilty and the Constitutional Court later banned him from politics for five years.

"I'd had a good relationship with Sanan for many years and respected him like a brother. So yes, there was conflict but I've always been able to separate my personal feelings from my work.

His proudest win came with his first case: encroachment of land at San Suk Beach in Phuket.

"In 1978, I was a junior officer and had to work really hard to dig up the truth. We had little evidence: just old pictures of the beach and some documents. I had to find witnesses. The case took 10 years and went through three courts. But we finally won," he says.

Though he has never been directly threatened, Klanarong remembers feeling nervous when his kids, then of kindergarten age, were followed by a mystery car as they returned home from school. "Luckily, nothing happened," he says.

"That took place 30 years ago and I don't believe I've been intimated since. Today, both the government and the opposition expect the independent agencies to help them when they submit a petition to them. I think the best way to carry out that task is to assume your responsibilities.

Asked if where media could find him after retirement, he laughs. "In heaven, maybe, though I could be a legal consultant, a law teacher or a lawyer."

He may also remain as the symbol of the anti-graft body by continuing as a commissioner for an NACC sub committee.

"But as I have hardly even taken a proper break throughout my career and while I am counting down the days to the end of my tenure, I won't stop working as an investigator," he says.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-08

The NACC has about as much clout as a feather, it is another feel good department ,doing nothing but wringing it's hands in dispair, as the in crowd go's about ripping off the profits, this is the very reason the Expat community have established there own corruption watch dog , because anything in Thailand is just that, Corrupt.bah.gif

• Like 2

He's been on the take for 36 years.

And if he didn't,

he wouldn't have lived this long.

I agree. The position must be a great money maker " Well Khun Sombat, for the right size brown envelope

I am sure we can make these pesky corruption charges go away. Please be more careful in the future...."

And yeah, if he was actually stopping corruption and imprisoning powerful people, he would have been

dead 35.5 years ago........

• Like 1

"He doesn't however like the anti-Thaksin label that has stuck to him ever since.

"I had and have no bias towards or against the ex-premier," he says, pointing out that he also did not have the authority to decide whether Thaksin was guilty or not."

No body has the authority to decide if a person is guilty or not.

If they are guilty they are guilty no matter what any body of court says and the same goes for if they are innocent.

Given the amount of corruption in Thailand ( I am not talking about the 200 baht under the table corruption for not wearing a helmet which is the only kind of corruption most Thais know about) after 36 years he must feel a failure.

On a side note If I got a tie like his would I look affluent? Maybe if I wore it with my Bob Marley in your face shirt.

One of the glaring problems people have with their preception of their contribution to society and their potential reward. This man expects to be haven bound, and probably never has considered any other alternative option/punishment. They feel a sense of entitlement to the status to which they have been raised/exposed.

The corupt need to experience hell here on earth, be it prison, assits seized, banned for life from government service, etc.

Then they will have the personal experience to realize that life and what comes there after can potentially "suck".

• Like 2

At least he DID make a substantial dent in it, obviously !

This Kingdom needs 1,000 chaps like him and then, perhaps, things might even look different . . . . . .

Please try to remember that, in the UK, things were very similar (to today's Thailand) not all that long ago; ever heard of Robin Hood ? ? Well; he stole from the rich landlords and gave back to the poor peasants.

If he spent his entire career fighting corruption........he failed miserably!

I have no idea why the Nation or any paper even report rubbish like this- it just goes to further highlight their complete lack of investigative reporting skills and follow up issues. If someone can say to me that people at the Nation (+others)have not been paid off by persons involved in the Red Bull as one example I just would not believe it.

• Like 1

i think we ( the falangs) can work the coruption occasionally, as we see with brides to police officers,which usally work...ever try it back home???.... corruption exsists in every country,yes it is more ''in your face''here...and it is sad the rich get richer and the poor just struggle,and then of course there is the ''human trafficking ''issue...which again exists in many countries....every time we fill in a form,every time we use a service,and every time you shake someones hand, here is an opportunity to create a ''tip or a bribe''....the line in thailand has always and always been a blurey , crocked one...it our love hate relationship..eyes wide open....

]

At least he DID make a substantial dent in it, obviously !

This Kingdom needs 1,000 chaps like him and then, perhaps, things might even look different . . . . . .

Please try to remember that, in the UK, things were very similar (to today's Thailand) not all that long ago; ever heard of Robin Hood ? ? Well; he stole from the rich landlords and gave back to the poor peasants.

If he spent his entire career fighting corruption........he failed miserably!

Who are you talking about Robin Hood or Klanarong Chanthick.

Come to think of it neither one did a heck of a lot to stop corruption.tongue.png

i think we ( the falangs) can work the coruption occasionally, as we see with brides to police officers,which usally work...ever try it back home???.... corruption exsists in every country,yes it is more ''in your face''here...and it is sad the rich get richer and the poor just struggle,and then of course there is the ''human trafficking ''issue...which again exists in many countries....every time we fill in a form,every time we use a service,and every time you shake someones hand, here is an opportunity to create a ''tip or a bribe''....the line in thailand has always and always been a blurey , crocked one...it our love hate relationship..eyes wide open....

]

Your opening line got me thinking of an old timer I knew years ago. He used to say if you are going to be a crook be an honest one.

Make of that what you want.

I like it and it does remind me of the difference in corruption here in Thailand. The only corrupt in your face politician I knew in the States was Dick Chaney. Instead of putting things up for bid he just gave them to Halliburton a company he had been the CEO with. Billions of dollars.