Wine connection has gone downhill

laban

All that you mention is very admirable, and I am sure that you do treat your staff very well. I eat at your Kata location quite often and the staff are always very warm and friendly ( despitre a challenging clientele ) and they seem very happy at their jobs.

My " negative response " was solely in regards to your Service Charge policy, which you fail to address.

It is dishonest and not caused by " foreigners giving moral lessons ".

Money for Service should go to Service, not to Company expenses.

This is as true in Thailand, as in any other country.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who think we are not being fair to staff, you are mistaken. You have to look at the whole package we are offering. Starting with a pretty high fix salary. We also offer a service charge guarantee to make sure staff gets enough income even in low season. We offer provident fund to all of our staff. Also full private insurance for staff staying with us over 1 year, this means they can go to any international hospital even outpatient treatment will be free. Many foreigners on the island do not have this kind of insurance. In high season the lowest level staff in our restaurants will get around 18 000 THB at the bottom of his pay slip. A simple wait staff would have more than that.

Anyways I guess the title of this thread will mostly attract negative comments. I see many foreigners giving moral lessons and explaining how it should be done in Thailand. My question to those is what have you achieved in this country and what qualifies you to judge our practices ? This business is a Thai business with over 1000 people and 48 outlets who are actually trying hard every day. Our shops and restaurants are busy in Phuket, Bangkok and Singapore. I am proud of what we are achieving. I am proud of our dedicated staff members. Personally I will unsubscribe from this thread as I want to keep being positive and enthusiastic about what we are achieving. I thank our numerous patrons, we will keep trying hard for you ! 

You seem to forget you are just an employee also, what have you acheived? You got a job hoohaa...no doubt through a friend. An expat customer base is your bread and butter so you should probably listen and accept criticism.

For those who think we are not being fair to staff, you are mistaken. You have to look at the whole package we are offering. Starting with a pretty high fix salary. We also offer a service charge guarantee to make sure staff gets enough income even in low season. We offer provident fund to all of our staff. Also full private insurance for staff staying with us over 1 year, this means they can go to any international hospital even outpatient treatment will be free. Many foreigners on the island do not have this kind of insurance. In high season the lowest level staff in our restaurants will get around 18 000 THB at the bottom of his pay slip. A simple wait staff would have more than that.

Anyways I guess the title of this thread will mostly attract negative comments. I see many foreigners giving moral lessons and explaining how it should be done in Thailand. My question to those is what have you achieved in this country and what qualifies you to judge our practices ? This business is a Thai business with over 1000 people and 48 outlets who are actually trying hard every day. Our shops and restaurants are busy in Phuket, Bangkok and Singapore. I am proud of what we are achieving. I am proud of our dedicated staff members. Personally I will unsubscribe from this thread as I want to keep being positive and enthusiastic about what we are achieving. I thank our numerous patrons, we will keep trying hard for you !

You seem to forget you are just an employee also, what have you acheived? You got a job hoohaa...no doubt through a friend. An expat customer base is your bread and butter so you should probably listen and accept criticism.

Actually, he is not an employee but the person that started the company. Pay attention IrishIvan before you make yourself look more foolish in saying things you know nothing about.

• Like 1

For those who think we are not being fair to staff, you are mistaken. You have to look at the whole package we are offering. Starting with a pretty high fix salary. We also offer a service charge guarantee to make sure staff gets enough income even in low season. We offer provident fund to all of our staff. Also full private insurance for staff staying with us over 1 year, this means they can go to any international hospital even outpatient treatment will be free. Many foreigners on the island do not have this kind of insurance. In high season the lowest level staff in our restaurants will get around 18 000 THB at the bottom of his pay slip. A simple wait staff would have more than that.

Anyways I guess the title of this thread will mostly attract negative comments. I see many foreigners giving moral lessons and explaining how it should be done in Thailand. My question to those is what have you achieved in this country and what qualifies you to judge our practices ? This business is a Thai business with over 1000 people and 48 outlets who are actually trying hard every day. Our shops and restaurants are busy in Phuket, Bangkok and Singapore. I am proud of what we are achieving. I am proud of our dedicated staff members. Personally I will unsubscribe from this thread as I want to keep being positive and enthusiastic about what we are achieving. I thank our numerous patrons, we will keep trying hard for you ! 

Actually, he is not an employee but the person that started the company. Pay attention IrishIvan before you make yourself look more foolish in saying things you know nothing about.

Sorry I thought he said CEO.

Wow looks like I have been hoodwinked here in that I have always believed service charge went to the staff 100%. To now hear otherwise, especially from the boss of a fairly large chain, certainly puts a different light on things.

Whay call it a service charge if it isn't really?

Edited by patongphil
  • Like 2

I wonder how the Phuket News or the Phuket Gazette would react to the admission of Wine Connection's CEO that he pockets 50 percent of the service charge that is tacked onto customers bills. Now there is a newsworthy story

Edited by IrishIvan
  • Like 2

Over the years I have heard lot's of chatter about how the 'service charge' and even tips, are distributed in various eateries and bars. Quite honestly I had not believed reports that the management take a share. So now the CEO of a major eatery chain confirms they take 50% of the service charge (usually 10% of the total bill ). This just reinforces my habit of trying to frequent establishments that have no service charge where I decide how much tip to leave, and it's usually more than 10% where they offer exceptional service. I guess I just have to hope the tip is distributed fairly.

I agree. I am not a fan of service charges at all. I think that a built in service charge makes staff take for granted that they are going to get some extra money, whether their service is good or indifferent., leading to poor service.

Its insane how you guys go over the important parts.

Insurance AND minimum 18k/m salary for a monkey's job.

seriously? You know how much they make at other restaurants in central?

He said 18k/m during high season. That sounds high but I hope it's true

The average for the whole year will even out a lot, though.

As the original poster of this thread, I would like to add the following:

1. I think it admirable that the CEO of Wine Connection read and responded to the thread. Most owners would probably pose as a customer and say the restaurant was great. He has given a fair explanation. I have run businesses in Thailand and know it is not easy. To give WC credit, food always is on your table within 10 mins.

2. The service charge comment has unfortunately been hijacked and should be a different thread. I know of many hotels and restaurants in Thailand who keep the 10% SC.

3. I have since returned to WC Silom, even though the service was slow due to lack of staff, the food & wine were fine.

I just hope Michael has taken on board the constructive comments, and will improve the services and food. I for one will carry on going to the branches that I enjoy. WC is still excellent value for money, for wines and with reasonable food. Just try to get a bottle of wine + 2 courses for under 1000 baht.

Hi,

My girlfriend worked at the wine connection shop in Chalong around two years ago as a waitress.

She earned around 8k bht per month not 18. If she earned 18k she would still be there.

We used to eat there around three times a week as we lived near by and the food was great.

When the prices went up a couple of years ago we went there less but the food was still good.

We noticed after a while the food was going downhill and my girlfriend was told by the staff that the food is now prepared elsewhere and only reheated in the restaurant.

The combination of the price increase and the food together was no good so we have stopped going there.

I do not think it is fair blaming the thai staff. We always found the service excellent and couldn’t fault the thai staff.

It is the prices and the food that stopped us going. If things improved then we would maybe give it another go.

:-)

• Like 2

Also, Michael the CEO claimed the waitresses make 18000 during high season and that obviously includes tips and half of the service charge as the company keeps the other half. They don't get 18000 as their base salary each month.

I could believe some of the waitresses making up to 18000 a month during the busiest months when you include tips+50% of service charge but not as an average for all the restaurants.

But obviously he is going to use that number as it looks the best smile.png

Edited by wtk
  • Like 1

Also, Michael the CEO claimed the waitresses make 18000 during high season and that obviously includes tips and half of the service charge as the company keeps the other half. They don't get 18000 as their base salary each month.

I could believe some of the waitresses making up to 18000 a month during the busiest months when you include tips+50% of service charge but not as an average for all the restaurants.

But obviously he is going to use that number as it looks the best Posted Image

18000 is a sugar coated figure. No way the waitresses are getting that