Wine connection has gone downhill

laban

We will not eat at a restaurant that charges a service charge on principle there are plenty of restaurants around that do not charge it

If you are happy with the service you tip the staff not the owner

Again this makes no sense.

Wine connection makes great meals for a lot cheaper than other restaurants. So you would rather empty your wallet for something less good and or less convenient just to stick it to "the man" for a 10% charge?

You do realize that a few people whining about a 10% charge by not coming in will not really affect a restaurant that is always full. The only person you are hurting is yourself.

The only way to accomplish anything would be to start a massive campain of information about the service charge and having a large petition.

Just put the menu prices up 10% and dont have a service charge

If they are a lot cheaper than other restaurants for the same quality of food and service it will not be a problem

No one is whining, a service charge is for sevice which is supplied by the staff and should go to them the same as a tip

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its hard to believe the business plan they use.

The Kata wine connection opens at 2pm. It misses the breakfast and lunch crowd.

Chalong gave up on breakfast all together because people stopped eating the filth.

How did it all go so wrong? It was once a very decent breakfast.

Its hard to believe the business plan they use.

The Kata wine connection opens at 2pm. It misses the breakfast and lunch crowd.

Chalong gave up on breakfast all together because people stopped eating the filth.

How did it all go so wrong? It was once a very decent breakfast.

Bangtao also stopped steaks and breakfasts both of which I enjoyed.

Luckily for Wine Connection I also like Cheese and Wine.

This thread has gone way out of control, and just focusing on the service charge. This should be a different topic as it involves thousands of businesses in Thailand.

To remind everyone, my comments were purely on food quality and service levels. I suggest moderator closes this thread, as unfair to WC.

This thread has gone way out of control, and just focusing on the service charge. This should be a different topic as it involves thousands of businesses in Thailand.

To remind everyone, my comments were purely on food quality and service levels. I suggest moderator closes this thread, as unfair to WC.

What's unfair to wine connection?

We are giving honest feedback on the food and service. It was the CEO that came in here and explained the service charge situation which rubbed more customers the wrong way.

I understand the situation. The whole brand was built on expats and now they have become a chain, its alienated the people that made it what it was and the management just don't care.

They are happy with the tourist trap business model.

• Like 1

What's unfair to wine connection?

We are giving honest feedback on the food and service. It was the CEO that came in here and explained the service charge situation which rubbed more customers the wrong way.

I understand the situation. The whole brand was built on expats and now they have become a chain, its alienated the people that made it what it was and the management just don't care.

They are happy with the tourist trap business model.

"They are happy with the tourist trap business model." - if that's the case, I suggest they add borsch, noodles, and curry to their menu, if they are going to remain viable on Phuket. smile.pngsmile.png

As far as the service charge is concerned - in general, I do not support establishments that charge "+ +" or charge a 10% service charge.

Edited by NamKangMan

We will not eat at a restaurant that charges a service charge on principle there are plenty of restaurants around that do not charge it

If you are happy with the service you tip the staff not the owner

Again this makes no sense.

Wine connection makes great meals for a lot cheaper than other restaurants. So you would rather empty your wallet for something less good and or less convenient just to stick it to "the man" for a 10% charge?

You do realize that a few people whining about a 10% charge by not coming in will not really affect a restaurant that is always full. The only person you are hurting is yourself.

The only way to accomplish anything would be to start a massive campain of information about the service charge and having a large petition.

Just put the menu prices up 10% and dont have a service charge

If they are a lot cheaper than other restaurants for the same quality of food and service it will not be a problem

No one is whining, a service charge is for sevice which is supplied by the staff and should go to them the same as a tip

Hire a few Thais for a while (if you can get them to stay more than 6hrs before disappearing) and see how much money you lose by their fault.

I cant fault business owners for taking half the service charge to pay for damages/laziness.

In the west someone hiding on the john for an hour with his phone is not a daily occurrence. In Thailand its an hourly occurrence.

i still agree that 10% price increase and tip to the discretion would be better overall yet you have to agree that when people are appalled by the service charge not completely going to staff they are totally out of line to ask it removed as the staff would make EVEN less money when their main concern was the staff not getting enough money.

After all the replies on this topic I thought I would give WC Chalong another chance (First Mistake) popped in about 12.45 today and was the only person seated outside 1 girl in attendance standing doing nothing and a table with dirty dishes and a dirty ashtray next to me. Oh dear I think. Ok I ordered Fish & Chips 240thb & an Apple Beer 135thb. In fairness this came very quickly too quickly when I tasted the Fish it was awful tasteless all I could taste was the oil it was heated up in Grey dry interior with an awful smell of very old stock. It says on the menu a New Item. Any way needless to say I was disgusted told the girl food was no good and paid and left it was not worth complaining as I wont be back and will certainly not recommend it to anybody.

So in answer to the Original Post Yes Wine Connection has gone downhill and continues to do so!

Oh and rather than take my full plate of uneaten food inside to tell the chef that was also dumped on a table next to me to attract flies until the girl decided that the effort to take inside would not be too much.

Edited by McFarang

After all the replies on this topic I thought I would give WC Chalong another chance (First Mistake) popped in about 12.45 today and was the only person seated outside 1 girl in attendance standing doing nothing and a table with dirty dishes and a dirty ashtray next to me. Oh dear I think. Ok I ordered Fish & Chips 240thb & an Apple Beer 135thb. In fairness this came very quickly too quickly when I tasted the Fish it was awful tasteless all I could taste was the oil it was heated up in Grey dry interior with an awful smell of very old stock. It says on the menu a New Item. Any way needless to say I was disgusted told the girl food was no good and paid and left it was not worth complaining as I wont be back and will certainly not recommend it to anybody.

So in answer to the Original Post Yes Wine Connection has gone downhill and continues to do so!

Oh and rather than take my full plate of uneaten food inside to tell the chef that was also dumped on a table next to me to attract flies until the girl decided that the effort to take inside would not be too much.attachicon.gif20130926_131253.jpgattachicon.gif20130926_131423.jpg

It would appear the main objective of the business now is to simply get your 375 baht - which they successfully did, :) :)

• Like 1

Maybe the problem is with the Chalong branch and or the type of people who go to that branch. All the bad comments are coming from the Chalong one and none from central.

WC is one of the rare business i have nothing bad to say against in thailand

Edited by bearpolar

Maybe the problem is with the Chalong branch and or the type of people who go to that branch. All the bad comments are coming from the Chalong one and none from central.

Food is the same at all the branches.

Even Thai people frown upon the Thai food that's served up there. Its garbage.

Its very hard to serve crap Thai food in Thailand but wine connection seems to do a good job of it.

Its very hard to serve crap Thai food in Thailand but wine connection seems to do a good job of it.

I was hoping after the owner looking at this thread that he may have done something about it Alas not, its actually worse.

Sorry I will not post the pics as as soon as I look at them I can smell them!

If its good I will praise if its not I will not simple!

I wonder how many of the posters in this thread are even remotley as successful in their businesses as the owner of WC.

Maybe because in the early days of WC it was good that is why there are so many comments I miss the good WC and I am sure many others do as well ?
  • Like 2

I wonder how many of the posters in this thread are even remotley as successful in their businesses as the owner of WC.

Clearly not me!! I would not be able to sleep at night, if I was "that" successful.

As WC has proved, too much success *can* be a bad thing. Loss of quality, for one.

• Like 1

Why would anyone go to a wine connection for Thai food? I didn't even know they did Thai food.

Why would anyone go to a wine connection for Thai food? I didn't even know they did Thai food.

Thai people eat Thai food and last time I checked we are in Thailand. What do guys better halves eat? Escargot and cheese? Most Thais are lactose intolerant.

They do Thai food and its pre made and reheated rubbish. Poor standards when street food trumps it.

Again, if they don't care about the quality of even Thai food they must be just keen on trapping the tourists who probably won't return anyway.

Great longterm business model. Alienate expats and Thai residents.

In general, tourists don't trust the hygiene of cheap eats, plastic chair, outdoor Thai restaurants, despite them having excellent food.

Edited by NamKangMan

In general, tourists don't trust the hygiene of cheap eats, plastic chair, outdoor Thai restaurants, despite them having excellent food.

Yeah but I wouldn't go to my local Isaan restaurant and then complain that they don't do quality Italian food

@ Peterocket

Sure, but if you came to Thailand, for your first time, as a tourists, and went to what appeared to be a nice, clean and "western" looking restaurant, in order to try Thai food, maybe for the first time in your life, it's not a great advertisement for Thai food, Phuket, and Thailand in general, is it?