Wine connection has gone downhill

laban

If base salary is 8k

They sell for at least 100k a day. 10% service charge is 10k. thats 5k for staff per day

if theres 20 staff thats 250b each. so around 6.5-7k per month extra to each

I dont see how 18k is hard to conceive. Im pretty sure they sell for more than 100k a day on most days and have less than 20 staff quite often.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If base salary is 8k

They sell for at least 100k a day. 10% service charge is 10k. thats 5k for staff per day

I dont see how 18k is hard to conceive. Im pretty sure they sell for more than 100k a day on most days and have less than 20 staff quite often.

Even if thats correct the CEO is pocketing 5000thb a day in service charges. For me that doesnt sit well as it is false advertising. I did have a coffee in there a few days ago after I saw this thread just to check the joint out . There was a nice selection in the deli and the coffee was good

• Like 1

If base salary is 8k

So now you're including the service charge, well, 50% of the service charge, in their salaries? Onjustified, the service charge is a tip, should for 100% go to the staff, and is not a salary provided by the employer.

So maybe they go home with 18,000 Baht per month, but pretending the employer is paying that is ludicrous. The omployer is still only paying 8,000 Baht.

If base salary is 8k

So now you're including the service charge, well, 50% of the service charge, in their salaries? Onjustified, the service charge is a tip, should for 100% go to the staff, and is not a salary provided by the employer.

So maybe they go home with 18,000 Baht per month, but pretending the employer is paying that is ludicrous. The omployer is still only paying 8,000 Baht.

Of course poster is including the service charge. Where else does a service person make 18K salary? Answer, nowhere. I don't know why people are bent out of shape on a practice that is common ( 100% of the service charge not going to staff). It's not called a tip charge, it's a service charge and how the proprietor chooses to allocate the service charge is up to them. If you don't like it, don't frequent the business, but to call out one business in particular for a common practice is weak.

Am I happy about a "convenience fee" and "passenger service fee" and various other "fees" when booking a low cost airline? No. Do I complain when I know this fee isn't going to the cabin crew. No.

Edited by steelepulse
  • Like 1

If base salary is 8k

Of course poster is including the service charge.  Where else does a service person make 18K salary?  Answer, nowhere. I don't know why people are bent out of shape on a practice that is common ( 100% of the service charge not going to staff).  It's not called a tip charge, it's a service charge and how the proprietor chooses to allocate the service charge is up to them.  If you don't like it, don't frequent the business, but to call out one business in particular for a common practice is weak. 

Any of the high hotels or restaurants that have service charges normally give a flat salary of between 12000-15000 a month and then service charge, this means the staff easliy get 20000 plus. Its actually quite common. Nok and Ying bar or Supacheap pay minimum wages

If base salary is 8k

Of course poster is including the service charge. Where else does a service person make 18K salary? Answer, nowhere. I don't know why people are bent out of shape on a practice that is common ( 100% of the service charge not going to staff). It's not called a tip charge, it's a service charge and how the proprietor chooses to allocate the service charge is up to them. If you don't like it, don't frequent the business, but to call out one business in particular for a common practice is weak.

I avoid businesses like this.

Problem with this is many people don't realise this, and consider the service charge a compulsory tip. I recall many previous discussions here on the forum, where a lot of posters act like this, presuming the charge goes to the staff. Unfortunately I think WC is even on the positive side here compared to many others, since WC are giving their staff a base salary and part of the charge, whereas I feel that many businesses simply use the service charge to pay their staff.

Isn't the minimum salary in Phuket 9300 baht a month plus benefits?

No.............it can be whatever the business owner and employee "agree" on.

My "ex" (Uni qualified) has started a job at 7,500 pm rising to 8,000 pm after 2 months work. The min wage is not a given.

BTW, more fool her for accepting this, but then again TIT.

My only concern is how much I'm being charged and personally I couldn't give a **** where the service charge goes. As such, I do wish the menu prices in such places would show the actual amount it will cost me, rather than just showing the basic rate with the ++ details in small print at the bottom.

As far as WC goes, it seems to me that the initials "WC" are quite appropriate as I have only dined there (Jungcelyon branch) on a handful of oaccasions but have spent half the night in the WC following a couple of those visits.

• Like 1

When I put any staff in my company on Social Security I have to use 9,000 as minimum per month.

The so called minimum rate is 300 baht/day but that does not mean that the employee works 30 or 31 days per month. The rate is only paid on days actually worked. Given that most employee have at least one day off per week then actual pay is much less than 9,000.

@ valentine. I declare a lot less than 9,000 baht at social services for my staff.

When I put any staff in my company on Social Security I have to use 9,000 as minimum per month.

The so called minimum rate is 300 baht/day but that does not mean that the employee works 30 or 31 days per month. The rate is only paid on days actually worked. Given that most employee have at least one day off per week then actual pay is much less than 9,000.

@ valentine. I declare a lot less than 9,000 baht at social services for my staff.

I think I declare 6,000 at the moment.

You pay your staff 6000? Are you serious?

He did not say he paid 6,000. He said he declares 6,000. I do much the same for fee efficiency. We pick up both the employer and employee contribution, no deduction from staff. And we pay our staff a lot more than 6,000

Ok but that sounds illegal

You pay your staff 6000? Are you serious?

He did not say he paid 6,000. He said he declares 6,000. I do much the same for fee efficiency. We pick up both the employer and employee contribution, no deduction from staff. And we pay our staff a lot more than 6,000

I said I think I declare 6,000 baht. Just checked, I declare 7,000 baht, 6,000 is not accepted anymore.

Hi just to clarify.

I have just asked my girlfriend.

It was 2 years ago when she worked there as a waitress.

Her salary was 8500bt per month plus around 2000bt per month from the service charge . she worked there feb march time so it was high season.

For this she worked 6 days a week and 8 hours per day on split shifts.

Maybe the salary is more now but still doubt it is 18000bt.

We will not eat at a restaurant that charges a service charge on principle there are plenty of restaurants around that do not charge it

If you are happy with the service you tip the staff not the owner

Again this makes no sense.

Wine connection makes great meals for a lot cheaper than other restaurants. So you would rather empty your wallet for something less good and or less convenient just to stick it to "the man" for a 10% charge?

You do realize that a few people whining about a 10% charge by not coming in will not really affect a restaurant that is always full. The only person you are hurting is yourself.

The only way to accomplish anything would be to start a massive campain of information about the service charge and having a large petition.

We will not eat at a restaurant that charges a service charge on principle there are plenty of restaurants around that do not charge it

If you are happy with the service you tip the staff not the owner

Again this makes no sense.

Wine connection makes great meals for a lot cheaper than other restaurants. So you would rather empty your wallet for something less good and or less convenient just to stick it to "the man" for a 10% charge?

You do realize that a few people whining about a 10% charge by not coming in will not really affect a restaurant that is always full. The only person you are hurting is yourself.

The only way to accomplish anything would be to start a massive campain of information about the service charge and having a large petition.

Its about principle

But all your principle is doing is hurting yourself and the waitress that could get her 5% if u were to come in. By not coming in you are worsening your options and making a waitress lose money.

You would be doing a better deed coming in. Eating up the massive 10% pricebump of already low prices and then you could even leave an extra 5% to the waitress.

It sucks that it has to come to this but thats how business works. He could simply remove the charge and add a price bump to his meals but THEN the waitress would NOT get 5%. So for a few of you to feel better you would want waitresses to make LESS MONEY?

Very very selfish.

But all your principle is doing is hurting yourself and the waitress that could get her 5% if u were to come in. By not coming in you are worsening your options and making a waitress lose money.

You would be doing a better deed coming in. Eating up the massive 10% pricebump of already low prices and then you could even leave an extra 5% to the waitress.

It sucks that it has to come to this but thats how business works. He could simply remove the charge and add a price bump to his meals but THEN the waitress would NOT get 5%. So for a few of you to feel better you would want waitresses to make LESS MONEY?

Very very selfish.

The OP is about how the food & service is not what it used to be so why go to any restaurant (with or without service charge added) which fails to satisfy the good food/good service criteria although I am sure many would put up with lax service if the food is good.

• Like 1

Very very selfish.

Why would a restaurant patron, or a customer of any business for that matter, be concerned about the salary that business pays its employees? I don't eat at a restaurant to support the help, I go for the food. If I'm happy with the service I leave a tip, up to me.

I'm not obligated to ensure their staff gets a fair wage, they're obligated to ensure their customers get good value for their money. If not, their customers will go elsewhere.

• Like 2