private health insurance suggestions?

seesip

What is your age?

45. My wife is 35. Plus we need coverage for two kids.

At your age, insurance is cheap in Thailand. You could try large companies like Thai Health, AXA, Ayudhya Allianz, etc. They all have fee schedules in English on their websites. You could get basic coverage for 5K THB p/a, spend 7K and get better coverage.

As far as the kids are concerned, when they are infants, insurance in Thailand is very expensive. As they get past say 5 years old it is cheap.

Also I recommend buying directly from the companies. If you approach a broker they will try and over-sell you on an International policy which you don't need in Thailand. If you travel abroad often, then it would be a good idea. If not, save your money.

Edited by elektrified

A lot will depend on your age.

To get full cover you need to apply before your 65th birthday.

There are several to choose from .

Best if you go to a Insurance broker, he can give you a few to choose from.

Hope this is of help.

Is it really 65? I hope so as I'm not quite there yet... Somehow I thought it was 60 years old. Anyone know for sure?

Hope this is of help.

Is it really 65? I hope so as I'm not quite there yet... Somehow I thought it was 60 years old. Anyone know for sure?

It is 65, not 60.

• Like 1

What is your age?

At your age, insurance is cheap in Thailand. You could try large companies like Thai Health, AXA, Ayudhya Allianz, etc. They all have fee schedules in English on their websites. You could get basic coverage for 5K THB p/a, spend 7K and get better coverage.

As far as the kids are concerned, when they are infants, insurance in Thailand is very expensive. As they get past say 5 years old it is cheap.

Also I recommend buying directly from the companies. If you approach a broker they will try and over-sell you on an International policy which you don't need in Thailand. If you travel abroad often, then it would be a good idea. If not, save your money.

That's good to know, thanks. Have you worked with a broker before? Or just dealt directly with the companies? Last time I dealt with BUPA I went over to the office on Super Highway near Jet Yod. It was a few years ago.

What is your age?

That's good to know, thanks. Have you worked with a broker before? Or just dealt directly with the companies? Last time I dealt with BUPA I went over to the office on Super Highway near Jet Yod. It was a few years ago.

I once bought a policy through AA Brokers, Chonburi that was a special group policy for TV members and it was a fantastic policy but they have not offered it for years now. Now I have Thai Health, my partner has AXA, and my child has Ayudhya Allianz. We bought them all direct. I have found BUPA to be over-priced. If you were older and had health issues they may be good. But at your age you don't need an expensive policy, only "major medical" coverage. And you don't need OP coverage, only IP.

I once bought a policy through AA Brokers, Chonburi that was a special group policy for TV members and it was a fantastic policy but they have not offered it for years now. Now I have Thai Health, my partner has AXA, and my child has Ayudhya Allianz. We bought them all direct. I have found BUPA to be over-priced. If you were older and had health issues they may be good. But at your age you don't need an expensive policy, only "major medical" coverage. And you don't need OP coverage, only IP.

Need a little clarification here: OP / IP coverage? Thanks.

Hope this is of help.

It is 65, not 60.

I disagree. Most health insurers in Thailand drop you at 65. As in no insurance cover after 65 even for long time clients. BUPA will cover after 65 but only if you sign up before your 60th birthday.

Hope this is of help.

It is 65, not 60.

I disagree. Most health insurers in Thailand drop you at 65. As in no insurance cover after 65 even for long time clients. BUPA will cover after 65 but only if you sign up before your 60th birthday.

From Thai Health website "2. Eligible to apply for the first year coverage from 15 days up to 65 years of age, renewable up to 80 years of age for IPD and up to 70 years of age for OPD."

My old neighbor (American guy) was 73 when he was dropped by his health insurance provider in Thailand. Don't recall which one. That was only after they had paid about 3 million Baht in claims for numerous heart surgeries he had. That was also when left Thailand after 37 years here and he went back to the USA.

• Like 1

Hope this is of help.

It is 65, not 60.

Then when you reach 70 they dont want to know you, too big a risk I suppose,thats BUPA

don't know about other providers,also check the fine print,they like wriggle room so they

can always get out of a situation,if its going to cost them too much.

regards Worgeordie

I was 69 years old when I took out a Cigna International (not USA) £1 million policy paying £251 per month but with a payment up front of £2000. They 'tailor' the policy to suit your circumstances, it seems.

I need it for major illness or surgery only -

From Thai Health website "2. Eligible to apply for the first year coverage from 15 days up to 65 years of age, renewable up to 80 years of age for IPD and up to 70 years of age for OPD."

My old neighbor (American guy) was 73 when he was dropped by his health insurance provider in Thailand. Don't recall which one. That was only after they had paid about 3 million Baht in claims for numerous heart surgeries he had. That was also when left Thailand after 37 years here and he went back to the USA.

I have had confirmation direct from a few medical company's.

As long as you join up before you are 65 they will cover up to the maximum on the policy's.

As long as you join up before you are 65 they will cover up to the maximum on the policy's.

What pre conditions apply and what is the increase on premiums each year?

Here is a example

http://www.thaihealth.co.th/2012/product_simply_eng.php

A Insurance Broker could answer about pre conditions

I use www.imglobal.com cost me 80 THB per day for 16 million THB cover, with 3200 THB deductible. Some will call it travel insurance, but I really don't see the difference. The health insurance companies will drop you or raise your rates 900% if you get a bad illness. I like being covered for accidents. IMG handles direct billing with Bumrungrad. Different rates for different citizenship etc.. You can get a quote in a few minutes without having to talk to a jack-ass.

Here is a example

http://www.thaihealth.co.th/2012/product_simply_eng.php

A Insurance Broker could answer about pre conditions

Be very careful with Thai healthins. in general. See for example Remark nr. 5 in the above mentioned example of thaihealth. Up to now I haven't found a healthins. that does not include coverage for more or less the whole world, which many of us don't need I think.

I use www.imglobal.com cost me 80 THB per day for 16 million THB cover, with 3200 THB deductible. Some will call it travel insurance, but I really don't see the difference. The health insurance companies will drop you or raise your rates 900% if you get a bad illness. I like being covered for accidents. IMG handles direct billing with Bumrungrad. Different rates for different citizenship etc.. You can get a quote in a few minutes without having to talk to a jack-ass.

You can't get it unless it originates in the USA and possibly some other countries; but not Thailand. You have to tell them your outbound ticketing information and have a address in another country than Thailand. I used them for 2 years when I lived in Europe. They denied my one and only claim too.

If you are a US Citizen, you can buy it here. No proof of tickets or anything. I also extended mine at the same rate plus a five Dollar admin fee. Sorry, they don't cover STDs. What kind of claim did you have that was denied?

When I took out my policy in 2004 I forget exactly what I had to prove. I think I had to receive a document by post in the USA or answer their phone call as well as showing my outgoing ticket from California. At the time, the first year was travel insurance. The 2nd year you could renew for a total of 12 more months as an "ex-pat" plan. Maybe things have changed.

I'd have to give some thought to the claim aspect as it was about 10 years ago.

THe company is based in Indianapolis. I've bought policies in 10,12, and 13 with no phone calls or tickets. Get your facts straight before posting. THis is an important issue. THe policy is underwritten by SIrius International Insurance Corp., Stockholm, Sweden and has an "A" rating by A.M. Best. Lot of posters are good at posting premiums, but don't bother with coverage. I would like to see what you get for 7000 per year. 100K THB maybe?

Edited by Thighlander