cleaning public swimming pool...

zappalot

I want to buy the equipment to be able to clean the tiles of our public swimming pool in our condo by myself. I do not have the order or the approval of the management. So I do it completely by myself for my own benefit. Would that be considered as work, would I need a work permit? We had three algae blossoms this year and the next one is just ahead as allgaes start to grow on the tiles again. The maintenance staff don't want to clean the tiles and the management gives a dam_n shit... And as I love to enjoy my daily swim I need to take action by myself...

Edited by zappalot

We asked the management if we can order a pool cleaning company, we would even pay for it.

They told us they would not allow such a company to clean the pool. They say the maintenance staff is doing the job very well.

They simply don't get it, you can print even out a description in Thai language how to maintain a swimming pool. They say okay okay okay, we do we do we do. But they do not change anything, the algae grow as always before and the maintenance staff never use the tools to clean the tiles. It's a nightmare. I think their IQ is below 50…

Edited by zappalot

You might just 'shock' the pool sometime after sunset after the staff and management have gone home instead of scrubbing the algae on the tiles:

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/Media/Pool-Articles/How-to-fix-a-Green-Swimming-Pool.aspx

I know what you mean. But does that help if there's a grown clearly visible layer of algae on the tiles already?

It also says "Also, keep the pool filter and pump running for at least 10 hours during and after you shock." I do not really have control over the pumps...

maybe I try to order my girlfriend's nephew from time to time to come here after the "management" went home. They can't deny access to him and he need some pocket money… But, as he is a Thai, he does not really see where and what to work and at least I would have to order him every single step for what to do/to clean.

Of course its not work. Those who do it to the satisfaction of management are doing work. Yours is a personal hobby. Don't spend your time here avoiding your own shadow.

If you can't control the pump you'll be reduced to getting the ole flippers and mask and a nice stiff brush to it and, as MrCrab suggests, shocking it every couple of months, but just as crucially making sure the ongoing chlorine level doesn't drop for long below 1.0. Could be an expensive hobby if it's a big ole condo pool - you'll have to buy some cheap Japanese chlorine powder in 50kg tubs (plus some comparatively expensive fast acting stuff). Yes you should have the pump on a bit longer after shocking but you will probably be in a better position with doing all this but risking the normal pumping time than not doing anything.

Jeez though - I would seriously consider moving!

I'm not particularly pool experienced - 3 years with my own pool that tends to develop a bit of algal greening if I let the chlorine levels slip too much. [There's algae in the concrete return channels which I have not properly yet addressed apart from a mechanical blitz every 6 months - hard work - channels need to be tiled].

I sweep the walls with flippers and mask every couple of months and scrub a bit harder in the one or two spots where it tends to show and stick a bit - always 5 feet down of course, but its good for chest development even in a 60 year old! I've managed to persuade myself that its all part of a valuable exercise routine rather than a prochrastinatable chore.

I have been using 5,000 baht a 50kg tub chlorine powder and that has lasted 20 months for an 85 cu.m. pool. I recently switched to salt water chlorination. Early signs are that the higher chlorine level I've fallen into in the set-up period (about 1.5) is both higher and more stable and seems to have kept the pool remarkably free of green warning signs. Maybe I should have used a tub and a half in the past 20 months.

A while ago ,at our apartments the so called painters cleaned their brushes in the pool so there was a nice line of paint thinners and dirt marking a line around the tiles at the water line .

After the paint thinners had disappeared the line was still there so i started scrubbing the line with a dish scourer . I was told not to do because it will highlight that the cleaner/handy man is not doing his job. He has become a friend to us and our kids always play with his kids and i did not want to make him look bad . It took about 6 months before the line was not visible and that was even with me doing a few tiles every swim .Damned if you do and Damned if you don't..

It's important to maintain the pH more than anything else. If the pH is not right, the chlorine won't work properly. It's therefore essential to test regularly for free chlorine and pH. The simple test kits will provide a reasonable indication, but it may be worth considering investing in a digiital pH tester and a dedicated free chlorine tester. If the chlorine level is correct there should be no smell of chlorine. A characteristic smell of chlorine may not necess

One should never dose chlorine by guesswork. It's important to maintain the pH more than anything else. If the pH is not right, the chlorine won't work properly. It's therefore essential to test regularly for free chlorine and pH. The simple test kits will provide a reasonable indication, but it may be worth considering investing in a digiital pH tester and a dedicated free chlorine tester. If the chlorine level is correct there should be no smell of chlorine. A characteristic smell of chlorine may not necessarily mean that there is too much chlorine in the pool; what it often reflects is the combined chlorine (free chlorine and chlorine that has done its job and is no longer working). A correct level of chlorine should prevent most algae growth, but it may be necessary to treat with a proprietary pool algicide and then continue with preventative maintenance.