Thammasat divided over student uniforms

webfact

I am perfectly happy to send my two daughters to school wearing their rather frumpy school uniforms.

I don't want them to wear outfits which accentuate their female charms and turn them into eye candy.

The reasons are fairly obvious, even if the students at Tammasat University are unable to see them.

Children are at school to study, not have sex. Anything which distracts from learning and encourages undesirable behavior should be discouraged – including provocative clothes.

Thailand is already paying an unacceptable price for sex at school.

In 2009, the number of students who got pregnant in a single year passed the 10,000 mark for the first time.

Even though the overall birthrate has been dropping, teen births are rising. Fifty-four out of every 1,000 babies born in Thailand have mothers aged 15-19. That's more than in the United States and ten times higher than in Singapore.

School uniforms, short haircuts and any other sensible measures to take sex out of the classroom and prevent young lives being ruined by unwanted pregnancy get my vote.

Pfffffffffffffft!

Nothing -hear me? Nothing!- has ever prevented young people from having sex and - and I almost do not believe I am saying this- not only in Thailand!

And the many pregnancies result from an education- system that totally fails to educate children and students about sex at all!

Short hair will not prevent sex as long as there are boob....ahm...other physical...ahm...things!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The move came after students protested against the Faculty of Science's insistence on uniforms by producing posters of two students in uniform having sex.

I fail to see the connection here between wearing uniforms and having sex.

A woman in a maids uniform, leather or a school uniform, it all personal choice for your fantasy.

Chrissy Amphlett used the school uniform well when she sang "I touch myself"

Oh and for the gay community there is Angus Young.

"Oh and for the gay community there is Angus Young."

I think you meant the blind, deaf and otherwise sensory challenged community.

The gigolos for geriatric gay community

Net Worth: stats_2.jpg$140 Million
Angus Young Age: 58 years old angus-young.jpg

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/celeb/rockstars/angus-young-net-worth/

Edited by johnnie20110

I would have thought that once you left your regimented Thai school at 18 it would be time to put away the uniform and express your own personality. Then again Thais do love their uniforms, even the cabinet dress up loaded with medals like retired military officers. Do they even have plain clothes police officers here?

And surely the girls would look more demure wearing almost anything instead of those 'pussy pelmets' even if all the old bar lizards on here don't agree!

BANGKOK: -- Thammasat University responded to student pressure on Monday, announcing that the wearing of student uniforms in class was not compulsory.

Welcoming Thailand to the mid-20th century. thumbsup.gif

Only a half dozen more decades to catch up now.

A rather ludicrous statement considering the often foul behavior of many university students in farangland.

Every country and society has its pros and cons. The idea that Thailand is generally worse or somehow far

behind other countries is quite nonsensical -- although it seems to be a popular idea among TV members.

Thailand is generally old-fashioned (not your "worse") in certain aspects.

There's nothing "nonsensical" about that.

Uniforms for university students is one of them.

The ludicrousness is all yours, somehow misinterpreting mocking old-fashioned practices involving clothing as some other wholly different issue.

I think the point is not that the students are forced t wear uniforms, this uniforms have many schools all over the world, but what happens if they won´t wear uniforms, in thailands consumer sociaty the rich kids would wear expensive clothes, and the poor kids would have their 30 Baht shirts, And this is not a good feeling and would cause a big problem. most of thai kids between 14 up are only interested in fashion, telefons and chatting, and I think it is not a good idea to start competition also in the fashion styl at colleges and universities. With uniform evrybody can look same in school and the difference it only what they perform in school. Accept this uniforms as a sign, everybody is the same at this places where everybody can study th same and learn the same.

Good to see the University intends to relax the rule and allow individuals to become creative. However, it can get out of control and beyond ridiculous as it did at my University in Melbourne with students showing up to lectures in their pajamas. So in the end, there needs to be parameters and limits....

Thanks a lot. Now I shall be tormented for the next few days with the vision of the delectable young fillies turning up for lessons in their baby doll pajamas. Be still my beating heart.

Good to see the University intends to relax the rule and allow individuals to become creative. However, it can get out of control and beyond ridiculous as it did at my University in Melbourne with students showing up to lectures in their pajamas. So in the end, there needs to be parameters and limits....

Thanks a lot. Now I shall be tormented for the next few days with the vision of the delectable young fillies turning up for lessons in their baby doll pajamas. Be still my beating heart.

Bikinis in summer perth.

I think wearing a uniform prevents some of the wealthier students from 'showing off' their expensive designer outfits thus keeping all students 'equal'..........at least when it comes to clothes.

We had a strict uniform dress code at our school and this was one of the reasons offered. It was bogus.

Students found a way to accessorize with bling bling, designer label shirts & shoes etc. The standard was a black or brown "oxford" style shoe, yet kids would come to class with their $500 version. Then there was the kid with diamond cufflinks. You weren't supposed to park your car near the school, but plenty showed up in their expensive toys after the age of 16. I walked or took the bus to school. The funniest part is that some of the wealthiest kids took to the dressed down approach. It was the nouveau riche and the phonies who were into show. I was so impressed by one kid and his fancy clothes and car. In form 4/grade 11 his father took up with the family french maid, and in later years the kid had a famous failed marriage and was mixed up with a major real estate "alleged" fraud. The weed heads rebelled by not wearing socks. And so the fashion wars went.

Today with all my university diplomas, I often putter about at home in my boxers. Cool boxers, mind ya.

I think wearing a uniform prevents some of the wealthier students from 'showing off' their expensive designer outfits thus keeping all students 'equal'..........at least when it comes to clothes.

We had a strict uniform dress code at our school and this was one of the reasons offered. It was bogus.

Students found a way to accessorize with bling bling, designer label shirts & shoes etc. The standard was a black or brown "oxford" style shoe, yet kids would come to class with their $500 version. Then there was the kid with diamond cufflinks. You weren't supposed to park your car near the school, but plenty showed up in their expensive toys after the age of 16. I walked or took the bus to school. The funniest part is that some of the wealthiest kids took to the dressed down approach. It was the nouveau riche and the phonies who were into show. I was so impressed by one kid and his fancy clothes and car. In form 4/grade 11 his father took up with the family french maid, and in later years the kid had a famous failed marriage and was mixed up with a major real estate "alleged" fraud. The weed heads rebelled by not wearing socks. And so the fashion wars went.

Today with all my university diplomas, I often putter about at home in my boxers. Cool boxers, mind ya.

Now now GK.....this is about University uniforms...not your puttering around with people who engage in pugalistic pursuits.smile.png

The move came after students protested against the Faculty of Science's insistence on uniforms by producing posters of two students in uniform having sex.

You obviously haven't seen how short those skirts can get.

And the skirts, shorts and dresses they wear on the street are longer. Give me a freakin break

It was all show and no substance.

And that is indeed the heart of Thai culture and why, to survive, one must always accept the "face" presented. Not that you can't find depth and substance in private conversations, but in a social setting it is all about the show and the need to, at least publicly, accept the show of others. Not that this same trend is not practiced in the west, it is just not as extreme or as dysfunctional. There are plenty of neo-sahib posters here who judge others on the display of economic success, conspicuous consumption as that greatest of all American economists called it. Understand Veblen and you understand the modern world, including Thailand.

• Like 1

Use your imagination, mate. Although, actually .... with those very high hemline on the coeds' skirts, there's little left for the imagination.

BANGKOK: -- Thammasat University responded to student pressure on Monday, announcing that the wearing of student uniforms in class was not compulsory.

Welcoming Thailand to the mid-20th century. thumbsup.gif

Only a half dozen more decades to catch up now.

A rather ludicrous statement considering the often foul behavior of many university students in farangland.

Every country and society has its pros and cons. The idea that Thailand is generally worse or somehow far

behind other countries is quite nonsensical -- although it seems to be a popular idea among TV members.

Thailand is generally old-fashioned (not your "worse") in certain aspects.

There's nothing "nonsensical" about that.

Uniforms for university students is one of them.

The ludicrousness is all yours, somehow misinterpreting mocking old-fashioned practices involving clothing as some other wholly different issue.

The whole issue of Thai students wearing uniforms and some of them

rebelling against that requirement is a like a boy scout picnic compared

to the utter chaos that reigns in many Western schools.

Some folks prefer their Western societies and cultures. That's fine. After

26 years in Asia, I find folks here much more civil and amiable.

You can use terms such as "old-fashioned" or whatever you like, but

even with all their faults and shortcomings Asian societies generally are

much less offensive to my human sensibilities than those of the West.

You seems to be self-appointed authority on human civilization, but

your post really doesn't make a lot of sense.

• Like 1

I am going to make an assumption that the structure, purpose and implementation of Thai university's is the same or at least compatible with the concept of University in the west.

So I am slightly intrigued to know why a student would need to be creative to such extent that personal identity must be utterly unrestrained, like really <deleted>

And in practice a student being creative is just more noise than anything, totally useless.

I guess maybe it is just further evidence that for the most part, university students for the most part will only ever be that grad and add a grand pile of zero back to

institute and the domain in which they studied. So much for creativity being all important, just fkn attitude and ego as always.

meh... fail

Some folks prefer their Western societies and cultures. That's fine. After

26 years in Asia, I find folks here much more civil and amiable.

I think you really hit the nail right on the head, I really have found that when you go utterly genocide on say a whole country or maybe just your girlfriend that asians for the most part. Just remain civil and amiable and keep any sort of outrage that may feel from upsetting everyone. I agree with almost everything you said though, only feel that you passing opinion on someone else passing opinion in a negative manner to pretty damn brave. But yeah.....its all good for everyone

One was wearing the uniform while the other was playing along

I can see the case for not needing/wanting uniforms, but this ad campaign is utterly ridiculous. The uniform is not designed to be sexy, students wear them that way. If they get rid of the uniform, does anyone think that the girls will come fully clothed? These girls are going to wear short skirts and high heels no matter what (for the record, i have no problem with this thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19> ).

If they want to get ride of uniforms, then how about going about it in a mature fashion (pun intended).

Agree on the short uniform point.

I have lectured at two of the so called most prestigious unis here in Bangkok. It's a regular event for girls (in uniform) to be sent home to get 'covered', and to be honest on many occasions I'm not surprised. There are plenty of girl students who go all out to have the shortest ever skirts, very often revealing their pants.

It may well seem prudish for the uni staff to get serious about this, even at times punishing girls by stopping them from attendance for the rest of the semester, therefore cannot sit for exams, and have to repeat the semester.

On the other hand I'm aware of parents complaining to the dean of the uni / the faculty for not being more serious to demand standard skirt length, etc., and not punishing girls (and boys) who refuse to wear uniform.

Edited by scorecard

One was wearing the uniform while the other was playing along

This could of course be a 'suggestion' that the logo / name of the uni might be seen in photos of students having sex in uniform.

Seems a bit unbalanced when, during the hazing events, the seniors at one uni demand that new girls perform simulated oral sex on the boys in public. And the uni concerned says nothing.

here in the uk schools that have strick school uniform policy have better attendance better discerpline and are of better quality and have bigger waiting list to get in

but as the wife says what is it with middle age men and schoolgirls in uniform i said its about remebering your youth good old school days happy days darling

im a terrible liar

thailand voted the sexiest school uniform in the world i think

its not the clothes it how you wear them

• Like 1

The posters display provocative images of students doing the dirty with the messages:

“Did you have to wear uniform during mid-term?”

“Is sex better in uniform?”

“Uniform is challenging.”

“Unleash your identity.”

Uniform is being challenged, is more direct translation than uniform is challenging.

You may well be right in your thinking, but for kindergarten, primary and possibly even secondary school. But come on! For university?!?

I don't know your home country, but where I come from university is where you do start to become an individual and start to free-think, without bully-boy teachers dictating to you!

I can just picture the French student revolution of '68 with them all wearing uniforms [actually not a bad image - forget all I've just said]

• Like 1

What happens with the mature aged students attending university, those in their 30's and 40's are they required to dress as school children also?

There are few. But they must.

Not true for Chulalongkorn. I attended that university a few years ago when in my late 40's, and no mature students wore uniform

With my British brain on, heavily against a university dress code. For sure, I was a student who expressed myself through clothes. However, we should appreciate, as my cousins across the pond like to say 'we ain't in Kansas anymore Dorothy'.

I recruit graduates into 'professional' employment and you would not believe how some people turn up for interview and even employment once agreed. Once I graduated I knew those days were over and smartened up grooming and clothing according to my new employment as per company and client expectations.

I applaud the attempts at expression and freedom here in Thailand, for the most part a positive change but feel there needs to be some critical mass of this will for change combined with common sense from students and faculty for this to be workable.

It reminds me of the age old ' rights and responsibilities' argument. The old guard will need to feel comfortable the dress freedom, if granted, is used responsibly by those demanding it.

To use corporate speak, we are now dealing with Gen Y as graduate recruits. These are a tricky bunch as most employers will agree. Tendencies include a 'want now' and material outlook often lacking any medium or long term goals. However demanding they are, I still think in a rapidly developing economy like Thailand they can still learn something in the workplace from the oldies.

Anyway, in conclusion, I say give the students the rope and see what they do with it...