Entering The Republic of Ireland on a UK Visa

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting really tired of you guys who keep taking personal shots at each other here in the visa sections. Any help you give is having it's value negated by the way you turn off readers with your childish bickering.

If I see it again you will lose your posting rights for a considerable period.

This is our most important section, and we won't have it disrupted because a few people can't behave like adults.

post-4641-1156693976.gif

• Like 1

Point taken and frankly I have nothing to gain out of petty disputes.

I can only speak from my experience .

I've got a lot better things to do with my time than trying to assist anyone who does not want to go through mainstream channels via paperwork and finance.

I'll leave it to the forum experts.

For those who are interested the Northern Ireland/Republic border as such does not exist.

Residents of both countries are free to come and go as they wish. That's the Irish attitudethumbsup.gif

Here is the Irish immigration point on the Lenamore Road,Derry.

Wiki

The Irish border on the Lenamore Road,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland. The Republic of Ireland begins just in front of the speed signs. Incidentally, the Republic of Ireland is to the north of Northern Ireland at this location.

220px-Irish_border_on_the_Lenamore_Road_

Edited by Jay Sata

I do not wish to get into another childish argument, but do want to ensure that readers of this topic have all the facts. So will post the following and leave it at that.

Yes, it is true that a de facto common travel area exists between the UK and RoI and that it is unlikely that anyone travelling by land or sea between the two countries will ever see an immigration officer; no one has ever said otherwise.

However, this does not mean that non EEA nationals do not need a visa to travel between the UK and the RoI

From the Irish government's citizens information site:

Common Travel Area between Ireland and the United Kingdom

The Common Travel Area means that there are no passport controls in operation for Irish and UK citizens travelling between the two countries. Since 1997, some controls are in effect on arrivals in Ireland from the UK but this does not mean that you are required to carry your Irish or UK passport with you when you travel between the countries. You must, however, carry an acceptable form of photo-identification, examples of which are listed below. When you arrive in Ireland, you may sometimes be asked for valid official photo-identification which shows your nationality. As you are being asked to prove that you are an Irish or UK citizen who is entitled to avail of the Common Travel Area arrangements, it would be advisable to travel with your passport..............

Irish immigration officers have the power to carry out checks on people arriving in the State from the UK and to refuse them entry to the State on the same grounds as apply to people arriving from outside the Common Travel Area. These checks are carried out selectively.......

If you are a citizen of a country whose nationals need a visa to enter Ireland and you have a valid UK visa or residence permit, you are still required to have a valid visa before you arrive in Ireland......

From the Irish embassy in London

A separate visa is required for holders of UK visas "not covered by the Visa Waiver Programme" who wish to travel to the Republic of Ireland, including UK visa holders resident in Northern Ireland. You should not attempt to travel to Ireland from any part of Great Britain and Northern Ireland without a valid Irish visa. If you attempt to do so, you may be stopped on arrival, refused entry and/or have a visa warning entered on your passport.

If travelling between the two countries by land or sea, the likelihood of this happening is remote; but would you want to take the chance?

I hope that clarifies the matter.

Of course, in the OP's case the concern is not so much with travelling from the North to Dublin, but the return trip from Bangkok to Dublin.

Obviously similar regulations apply to Irish visa holders travelling from the Republic to the UK; i.e. they need a UK visa, too.

Edited by 7by7

Two pages wasted here on discussing a question about trying to save money on flights to BKK!!!

Why go via Dublin?

A long drive down the coast and what happens with the car when you get there? Costs a fortune to park!

Most flights I've checked out cost around £550/650 return to Thailand from Belfast via Amsterdam.

Dublin flights also route via AMS or Paris so why quibble over a few pounds flying from Belfast with no car parking costs as I understand you live there versus the cost and hassle of Dublin.

There are no direct daily flights as far as I know from Dublin to BKK. Your best bet is via London or Amsterdam from Belfast.

China Airlines do a fairly good deal. Failing that Fly Easyjet to Luton and get a bus to Heathrow. Your wife won't like the luggage limitations

on EZY!

Edited by Jay Sata

• 4 weeks later...

Two pages wasted here on discussing a question about trying to save money on flights to BKK!!!

Why go via Dublin?

A long drive down the coast and what happens with the car when you get there? Costs a fortune to park!

Most flights I've checked out cost around £550/650 return to Thailand from Belfast via Amsterdam.

Dublin flights also route via AMS or Paris so why quibble over a few pounds flying from Belfast with no car parking costs as I understand you live there versus the cost and hassle of Dublin.

There are no direct daily flights as far as I know from Dublin to BKK. Your best bet is via London or Amsterdam from Belfast.

China Airlines do a fairly good deal. Failing that Fly Easyjet to Luton and get a bus to Heathrow. Your wife won't like the luggage limitations

on EZY!

Two pages with you talking non stop shit to be fair. If youve nothing constructive to say then clear off and you bigoted views with it.

You show an unmanned border, <deleted> the same could be said about anywhere in Europe. It seems your more interested in political views than actually helping anyone.

FYI there is no connecting flight via Amsterdam to Bangkok from Belfast and the vast majority of travellers to BKK from Dublin go via Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Istanbul - not these other routes you keep banging on about.

7by7

It turns out getting an Irish visit visa is a near formality, that gets fast tracked, when you already have a UK one. Furthermore it is free. Regardless of all the quotes you mention, INIS assure you me she needs one to board a plane in Dublin and having read the European directive many times I agree.

Edited by tullynagardy

I'm sorry you feel that way about my advice. I have local experience to you as I used to have a house in Newtonards and am an ex member of the Ulster Flying Club.

Life if full of experts and often they have never stepped foot in you home territory.

Some forums have keyboard experts who never leave their spare room.

Belfast/Amsterdam/BKK is a lot easier than driving to Dublin in my opinion.

Good luck.

• Like 1

7by7

It turns out getting an Irish visit visa is a near formality, that gets fast tracked, when you already have a UK one. Furthermore it is free.

Which is pretty much what I said in the second post of this topic!

.....I would recommend obtaining one (a visa), if possible. As she is the spouse of an EEA citizen and will be travelling with you it should be easy to obtain and free..........

Regardless of all the quotes you mention, INIS assure you me she needs one to board a plane in Dublin and having read the European directive many times I agree.

It will certainly make things a lot easier and quicker if she has one, as I have constantly said.

However, EU law, as quoted previously, definitely states that strictly speaking because she is the spouse of an EU national and travelling with her EU national spouse that she doesn't need one.

It seems that the Irish are ignoring this, or at least not telling people about it. I guess it will need someone refused entry to take them to court for them to change.

But, as you have discovered, the appropriate visa is so easy to obtain that, as I suggested to you in the second post of this topic, it's better to get one.

That applies when travelling to any other EU state, too.

• 3 months later...

Maybe this is of some help to you ...

The Consulate of Ireland is responsible for processing visa applications from persons resident in Thailand (both Thai citizens and other visa-required nationalities) who plan to travel to Ireland

Important : As and from 18 November 2013 nationals of Thailand may avail of the Irish Short-stay Visa Waiver. This Programme allows visitors who hold UK short stay visas and who have travelled through the UK to travel on to Ireland without the need to apply for a separate Irish visa. All holder of the UK short stay visas must enter and leave from the UK once.

The person travelling has passed through UK immigration at least once on foot of them, the UK visa may be used for travel to Ireland. Other types of visitors to the UK, for example those with transit visas, long term student visas, join spouse or family reunification visas, are not encompassed.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry you feel that way about my advice. I have local experience to you as I used to have a house in Newtonards and am an ex member of the Ulster Flying Club.

Life if full of experts and often they have never stepped foot in you home territory.

Good luck.

Only reading this many months later, thanks for the kind words. I take my wee Thai step son down to the flying club to watch the cesnas every Saturday.

Anyway visit visa already applied and granted and easily done.

Interestingly the Mrs now applying for Irish passport to circumvent UK immigration rules. Alot of people fight about whether they are Irish or British here, to me being both is the biggest blessing in the world, no more so than when doing this kind of stuff!

Good luck.

Only reading this many months later, thanks for the kind words. I take my wee Thai step son down to the flying club to watch the cesnas every Saturday.

Anyway visit visa already applied and granted and easily done.

Interestingly the Mrs now applying for Irish passport to circumvent UK immigration rules. Alot of people fight about whether they are Irish or British here, to me being both is the biggest blessing in the world, no more so than when doing this kind of stuff!

Well that's great news and it makes me feel a little better given that at one point I got a lot of flak on here from some of the experts.

I'm pleased you got the visa and I'm extra pleased you've gone to Newtonards with the nipper. I'm sure if you let it be known someone will take you up as there is often empty seats in the back.

As I said at the time the Irish passport route saves a lot of money.

One final tip. Never get involved in Irish or Thai politics.

Best regards and good luck for the future,

Jay

• 4 months later...

Took my Thai girlfriend to Dublin this April flying from Bristol without Schengen visa.At present the only requirement for her was a 'in use' 6 month UK tourist visa.No problems at Bristol,a few questions of where she was residing and for how long she was staying by friendly Immigration officer,where a Republic of Ireland visa was given on arrival.Returned after 3 days to Bristol and walked straight through Immigration without a hitch.

• Like 1

Yes she has been to the Rhigos mountain viewpoint a number of times but not to the village of Rhigos.

why not show her the rest,you can start at the beautyfull place of HIRWAUN,then onto BANWEN to see the slag heaps,then on to ONLLWYN where the sheep run free then finish up with a hearty meal at the pit canteen in

SEVERN SISTERS,then onto YSTRAD GYNLIAS for a few pints of brains sa with the locals.if you do this tour she will never ask you to show her wales[south] again.

Edited by meatboy

Yes she has been to the Rhigos mountain viewpoint a number of times but not to the village of Rhigos.

why not show her the rest,you can start at the beautyfull place of HIRWAUN,then onto BANWEN to see the slag heaps,then on to ONLLWYN where the sheep run free then finish up with a hearty meal at the pit canteen in

SEVERN SISTERS,then onto YSTRAD GYNLIAS for a few pints of brains sa with the locals.if you do this tour she will never ask you to show her wales[south] again.

as the topic is to visit the irish republic,after the above tour you can go west to the hub of ferryland FISHGUARD there you can get a ferry across the irish sea to wexford go and visit my old greyhound breeder and trainer who's farm is on wexford horse racing track,after an hr.or 2 playing with the pups,a nice couple of hrs.seeing the bogland this will rearly impress her and after a week or two trying to understand the crack she will be ready to fk--g come home.thats after a hr.via

bonny SCOTLAND.

Took my Thai girlfriend to Dublin this April flying from Bristol without Schengen visa.

The RoI is not a Schengen state and so a Schengen visa is not valid for the Republic.

At present the only requirement for her was a 'in use' 6 month UK tourist visa.

Indeed, as hjfoley posted above, holders of a UK visit visa can now enter the Republic for a visit from the UK without an Irish visa.

This only applies to UK visit visa holders, so would have been no use to the OP's wife, who has UK ILR.