Advice On Obtaining Building Plans

JimmyGreaves

Can anyone suggest the best route to be taken to enable me to get a full set of plans that builders etc can work to and can be used by the housing department to approve a build?

At the moment we have a rough idea of a design, don't anticipate building for another 9 -12 months.

Ideally I would like the whole thing to be computer based so I can view all aspects, 3D would be good if that is not overkill.

I don't know too much about the building industry as I'm from the I.T. profession, however Have read many stories and have a good idea how to manage the project based on other farangs experiences.

I would need the drawing plans to include everything from electrical, drainage etc and even material types to be used as this would hopefully enable me to do a costing.

All Suggestions most welcome :o

Can anyone suggest the best route to be taken to enable me to get a full set of plans that builders etc can work to and can be used by the housing department to approve a build?

At the moment we have a rough idea of a design, don't anticipate building for another 9 -12 months.

Ideally I would like the whole thing to be computer based so I can view all aspects, 3D would be good if that is not overkill.

I don't know too much about the building industry as I'm from the I.T. profession, however Have read many stories and have a good idea how to manage the project based on other farangs experiences.

I would need the drawing plans to include everything from electrical, drainage etc and even material types to be used as this would hopefully enable me to do a costing.

take a look at... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66374

In Australia , for my place ( three stories warehouse ) after a bad experience i did not want a architect

I did approach a last year student who done all plans with/for me .

the builder was great and he went alone helping us !

Looked at the link:

To me the prices quoted seem very expensive for plans. A 200 Sq Metre house plans costing between 1000 - 1500 pounds sounds like European prices. 7.5% of the total build cost for plans?

Am I wrong is this a fair THAI price?

Looked at the link:

To me the prices quoted seem very expensive for plans. A 200 Sq Metre house plans costing between 1000 - 1500 pounds sounds like European prices. 7.5% of the total build cost for plans?

I suppose it all boils down to what you want.

You can get finished drawings from the government land office quite cheap, all in Thai of course and none of the hoopla, 3D, email exchange, BOQ,etc. as shown in the link.

Check other posts on this forum and you may find a cheaper source.

I suggest you contact the poster, excalibre and ask him.

You may want to also ask about his experience, background, etc.

I've been to the land office and they do have lots of plans but all I could find were Thai style exteriors & interiors (kitchens, bathrooms, etc.) and no 3D...and if you want to change this and that of course the price goes up.

Good luck...

After looking over the prices for what is offered,(too late to edit my last post) they seem like very decent fees to me considering what's offered and unless your Thai is up to snuff, communications can be an big hurdle...but not impossible.

You wouldn't find an Architect in California to do all the things quoted for that price, I suppose Europe is less expensive. Another thought, don't know if you can find many people who do offer what he is offering. ...Plans have to be signed by a Thai Engineer & Thai Architect who also, as far as I know, design the foundation & structure to Thai standards. or, since you're a computer expert, get yourself a CAD program and give it a go, you might surprise yourself, although you did mention that you knew very little about construction so it may take time but you could save yourself some money....I'm sure there will be others responding as well to your post.....again....good luck....

Thanks Tomissan for you contribution. I tracked down an Architect/Builder/designer with a shop front in Hua Hin who also does the same work and gets the plans appoved at the planning department as part of the deal. Does the whole lot electical/drainage furniture etc All aspects of the plan and uses AutoCad. (Need to check if autocad is 3D) Asking price 250 Baht per Square Metre. Also supplies many references in the area, portfolio shown also. This is quite a bit cheaper.

Let you know how I progress

• 1 month later...
Thanks Tomissan for you contribution. I tracked down an Architect/Builder/designer with a shop front in Hua Hin who also does the same work and gets the plans appoved at the planning department as part of the deal. Does the whole lot electical/drainage furniture etc All aspects of the plan and uses AutoCad. (Need to check if autocad is 3D) Asking price 250 Baht per Square Metre. Also supplies many references in the area, portfolio shown also. This is quite a bit cheaper.

Let you know how I progress

Please supply name and phone number of Architect/Builder/designer with a shop front in Hua Hin who will do CAD drawings.

Thanks!