PayPal doesn't trust Bangkok Bank

I paid an account through internet banking on my Australian bank. To my horror it was returned because of insufficient funds. I was sure I had the funds there but when I checked I found my account overdrawn because of purchases through Ebay. I had made these purchases using my Bangkok Bank card. I contacted PayPal and they agreed that I had nominated my Bangkok card but the purchases had been debited to my Australian bank card. The reason - Paypal does not trust the security of the Bangkok Bank card as much as the Australian one and therefore any purchases I make, without regard to my choice of account, will be debited to the more trustworthy Australian account. They said there was no way to override their system and the only solution was to delete my Australian card from my Payal account.

This leaves me with the question - if Paypal doesn't trust the security of my Bangkok Bank card just how secure is it?

Did you use a 'virtual account numbered card' or your number on your plastic card? You need to use the virtual card number that the bank will assign you. You get virtual account numbers for 100,000.00 THB. After you exhaust 100,000 they assign you a new number. I have on many occasions paid bills totaling 99,0000 THB and there has never been a problem.

it's not your visa card with Bangkok Bank they don't trust - its Visa transactions from Thai banks, including Bank of Bangkok - they don't trust.

PayPal - and other Visa processors - probably have had a long history of getting burned processing Visa transactions through Thai banks.

Anecdotal evidence on TV says Thai banks try to shift responsibility to the card owners or to the merchants, rather than taking the hit themselves. In much of the world, banks accept a certain level of loss as the cost of doing business, pay back the loss, and pass the cost on to their users in the form of higher fees, or lower interest paid on deposits. I suspect in Thailand, that is anathema to bank management.

The point is that PayPal are perfectly prepared to accept the Bangkok Visa card if they have no option. But they over rode my choice of card without informing me and the result was I overdrew the account on the card I did not want to use which resulted in me have a payment refused because of insufficient funds. They should not be allowed to cherry-pick.

it's not your visa card with Bangkok Bank they don't trust - its Visa transactions from Thai banks, including Bank of Bangkok - they don't trust.

PayPal - and other Visa processors - probably have had a long history of getting burned processing Visa transactions through Thai banks.

Anecdotal evidence on TV says Thai banks try to shift responsibility to the card owners or to the merchants, rather than taking the hit themselves. In much of the world, banks accept a certain level of loss as the cost of doing business, pay back the loss, and pass the cost on to their users in the form of higher fees, or lower interest paid on deposits. I suspect in Thailand, that is anathema to bank management.

The point is that PayPal are perfectly prepared to accept the Bangkok Visa card if they have no option. But they over rode my choice of card without informing me and the result was I overdrew the account on the card I did not want to use which resulted in me have a payment refused because of insufficient funds. They should not be allowed to cherry-pick.

That is why I said to put the complaint in in Australia about them debiting it. Australia is one of the few places paypal is regulated.

• Like 1

Open separate Paypal accounts one for Australia and one for Thailand and keep them separate. Same for ebay one from your Thai bank account one from your Australian bank account. i don't believe there any obligation with Paypal to even nominate an alternative card if you don't want to.

• Like 1

PayPal are a bunch of money grabbing dimwits. They will limit accounts for next to nothing and only try to protect themselves.

A friend of mine used to work at the fraud department of a major online gambling website in Gibraltar. If someones paypal account went into a negative balance for whatever reason (ebay chargeback, whatever) and they had also used said Paypal account to deposit to the gambling website Paypal would actually call them up requesting that the persons gambling account was locked along with whatever funds were in it being refunded to them, 99% of the time they refused as fraud was nothing to do with it and it was just paypal clutching at straws trying to cover their own asses.

• Like 2

Open separate Paypal accounts one for Australia and one for Thailand and keep them separate. Same for ebay one from your Thai bank account one from your Australian bank account. i don't believe there any obligation with Paypal to even nominate an alternative card if you don't want to.

I did that....they found out and froze both accounts infinite and non disputable. They gave me the money back after 6 month.

It was a big sum. Fortunately I could still refund customer and the largest payments came from 3 frequent customer which I know for a very long time. So I refunded them and asked them to transfer the money to me....Didn't look very professional. One of them told me that he had a frozen Paypal account for no reason as well some time ago. So problems with Paypal seem to be very common.

• Like 2

PayPal are a bunch of money grabbing dimwits. They will limit accounts for next to nothing and only try to protect themselves.

A friend of mine used to work at the fraud department of a major online gambling website in Gibraltar. If someones paypal account went into a negative balance for whatever reason (ebay chargeback, whatever) and they had also used said Paypal account to deposit to the gambling website Paypal would actually call them up requesting that the persons gambling account was locked along with whatever funds were in it being refunded to them, 99% of the time they refused as fraud was nothing to do with it and it was just paypal clutching at straws trying to cover their own asses.

Online gambling website based in Gibralter complaining about PayPal, now that's funny.

My experiences over the last 20 years plus with Thai banks vs USA banks is that Thai banks in general are better. Now I admit most of the business with USA banks was commercial transfers to them from outside the country and it was to smaller US banks in small towns. I have seen more messes than I care to remember with USA banks that borders on incompetence in a fragmented banking system.

You can only have one card/bank account attached to your account at a time, to get around this I have an aussie paypal account with my aussie bank/card and a thai one (linked to my Bangkok Bank account) and the BB card works fine, I have had no problems at all even transfer money from my aussie account to it(cheaper than using the card in an ATM). You need to link one bank & card to each account and they work fine, paypal cannot use a different card to the one that is nominated to be linked to the account, that is illegal as you have not given them permission to do so.thumbsup.gif

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

Did you use a 'virtual account numbered card' or your number on your plastic card? You need to use the virtual card number that the bank will assign you. You get virtual account numbers for 100,000.00 THB. After you exhaust 100,000 they assign you a new number. I have on many occasions paid bills totalling 99,0000 THB and there has never been a problem.

You are a lucky man to have 100K Baht to spare for one of these virtual accounts !!!. Would be a godsend to have 100K Baht to spare like that. Most of us these days live on our incomes only especially since the western banks have bloody robbed us all over these past 5 years (and longer)..

Anyway really no need to tie up huge amounts of money like that as I have three different card options on my PayPal account (including a credit card for when I am strapped for cash) and they always debit my Bangkok Bank Debit card when I nominate it and with no problems; well at least so far that is. I do buy quite a lot on eBay too using a secure PayPal link.as often can save money buying from HK or China eBay sellers often with free fast shipping. Much better prices when compared to Thai shop prices for the same or similar goods. And a big big plus is that I do not have the bloody horrible hassle of having to go out to crowded PITA real world shops and malls either as I really hate shopping and avoid it all I can.

• Like 1

I think if you investigate deep enough you will find that their system is set up in such a way that if there are a card option the system will select the one with the lowest fees for Paypal. Thus its about money and not security. If it was a security issue you would not have been able to use your Bkk card at all.

I think if you investigate deep enough you will find that their system is set up in such a way that if there are a card option the system will select the one with the lowest fees for Paypal. Thus its about money and not security. If it was a security issue you would not have been able to use your Bkk card at all.

• Like 1

Hey - you wrote the topic title!

I did that....they found out and froze both accounts infinite and non disputable. They gave me the money back after 6 month.

It was a big sum. Fortunately I could still refund customer and the largest payments came from 3 frequent customer which I know for a very long time. So I refunded them and asked them to transfer the money to me....Didn't look very professional. One of them told me that he had a frozen Paypal account for no reason as well some time ago. So problems with Paypal seem to be very common.

I don't understand. I opened PayPal accounts for myself and my wife in Thailand, using our Bangkok Bank accounts, then I opened an Australian account using my National Bank account, no problems (yet) in over 2 years. Why would they have an issue with that ?

• Like 1

I don't understand. I opened PayPal accounts for myself and my wife in Thailand, using our Bangkok Bank accounts, then I opened an Australian account using my National Bank account, no problems (yet) in over 2 years. Why would they have an issue with that ?

you are only allowed one business paypal account but you can have different paypal accounts and it is ok.