Helping the BIB with crime

ttthailand

Lets give the BIB a few suggestions on how we would fight crime in Pattaya. Perhaps they will read this and make a few changes.

Two suggestions:

1. Set up sting operations to get the drive by gold thieves. Have undercover officers wearing big gold chains walking around or hanging out in known crime areas. When the thieves make their move have a team grab them. After a few of these arrests are put on Thai TV the would be thieves might think twice as they don't know who they are robbing.

2. Have pairs of police walking the beat or riding bikes in known areas of crime. Beach road should have at least 10 officers, 5 pairs. Perhaps move a few day officers to evening shift.

Useful comments and suggestions only please.

Sting operations are risky for both the officer involved but also for budget vs reward - they consume many man hours, in this case for what is basically a low level crime.

IMO: For a start - it would be better to find someway of getting the police officers to 'care' about what they are doing in the first place.

Many BiB are in the job for the 'cash' opportunity. The only solution I see is to raise bar on entry level and raise the salary. To raise the salary of the average police officer the public coffers need to be topped up. To top up the public coffers more taxes must be paid.

Thus: To improve policing - the payment of taxes must be enforced.

In the short term: More 'proactive' officers 'on the beat' with the freedom to act on their own intuition seems like a good idea, but with dirt in the system giving the BiB such freedom also provides an opportunity for further shakedown...

Unfortunately: Catch 22 until the national culture towards acceptance of corruption and avoidance of confrontation change, which IMO takes a few generations... Its changing slowly.

Sting operations are risky for both the officer involved but also for budget vs reward - they consume many man hours, in this case for what is basically a low level crime.

IMO: For a start - it would be better to find someway of getting the police officers to 'care' about what they are doing in the first place.

Many BiB are in the job for the 'cash' opportunity. The only solution I see is to raise bar on entry level and raise the salary. To raise the salary of the average police officer the public coffers need to be topped up. To top up the public coffers more taxes must be paid.

Thus: To improve policing - the payment of taxes must be enforced.

In the short term: More 'proactive' officers 'on the beat' with the freedom to act on their own intuition seems like a good idea, but with dirt in the system giving the BiB such freedom also provides an opportunity for further shakedown...

Unfortunately: Catch 22 until the national culture towards acceptance of corruption and avoidance of confrontation change, which IMO takes a few generations... Its changing slowly.

I think you make a lot of good points. I do think however that the effort put into sting operations would be helpful. There are drive by purse and gold robberies happening every day in Thailand. There has also been a few tourists killed during these robberies. It only takes a few arrests and the word gets out to the thieves. Once the word got out of a few arrests in Pattaya it could prevent robberies in Bangkok , Chang Mai, and Phuket. Prevention is I believe the best way and educating the public and making the thieves aware that there is a possible added risk could do nothing but help.

Why does everyone on here insist on calling the police 'BIB'

Is it meant to be cool or funny?

I don't get it.

Because using the word "police" would be a gross misuse of a word, and even if it were slanged as "cops" it would still associate them with a semblance of organised crime prevention and protection of the public.

BIB is the perfect description as it has become synonymous with the level and quality of service they provide.

I can think of no other possible description - and whoever first coined the phrase BIB should be praised for not calling them MIB - Muppets in Brown. coffee1.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2

I don't get it.

Because using the word "police" would be a gross misuse of a word, and even if it were slanged as "cops" it would still associate them with a semblance of organised crime prevention and protection of the public.

BIB is the perfect description as it has become synonymous with the level and quality of service they provide.

I can think of no other possible description - and whoever first coined the phrase BIB should be praised for not calling them MIB - Muppets in Brown. coffee1.gif

How about CIB -- Clowns in Brown

It even has that rhyming thing going for it.

As for the topic of the OP, there's an old saying that I think would apply here. " You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

Edited by Wavefloater

I don't get it.

How about CIB -- Clowns in Brown

It even has that rhyming thing going for it.

As for the topic of the OP, there's an old saying that I think would apply here. " You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

Can't because its reserved for About 80% of visitors and 50% of the expat residents.

The bottom line is "budget".

The BIB are low paid. Important job.

Teachers are low paid. Important job.

I can go on and on and on.

This is Thailand.

Don't compare Thailand in any way with Western Europe USA or Australia.

True, In my personal opinion, the people in Thailand with money are the most useless and lazy members of society. Thailand does not correlate wealth with worth.

How about giving the BiB first aid training ? Several times I saw bad accidents

with people bleeding profoundly and the BiB just standing there and watching.

In many cases applying some light pressure on the would would stop the subject

from bleeding to death until help comes ...

But I guess to save a life one would have to get his hands dirty and actually give

a shit ...

luudee

• Like 1