Do's and Dont's when meeting a thai girls family for the first time?

ryro88

visiting formally and asking questions u dont have to bother any thing just enjoy u r drink and food and go back home as i have done the same thing 8 years back thai people are wonderfull people just smile may be one day u will be our home member thats for sure u will marry u r friend send me an invitation and to all our friends in this forum WELCOME

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In no particular order :-

Take a bottle of J.W. (but not a single-malt, unless you like to drink it with soda) for her father, and give her a budget, to buy appropriate gifts for Mama and the rest of the family.

Speak softly and don't get over-excited or angry.

Don't try to impress them with your wealth, underplay your money, if you have any.

Dress reasonably-smartly, and wear a shirt.

Be prepared for a squatter, not a sit-upon loo.

Smile a lot, especially at your tirak.

Very Good sound advice.

Be natural ,this girls parents also want to be on friendly terms.

I would ask them if the could loan you 10,000 Baht for a week? Their reaction will tell you many things...

Can you clarify more?

To me, it reads like you believe if they said no, were shocked, ect... That would be a bad thing?

10,000 Baht is $300 AUD.... Half a weeks wage for some people.... Not exactly a small sum.... For the average Thai, its a months wage, yes?

Not sure how you can look down on someone for not wishing to loan that out to someone the family may not know well / are only just meeting...

LOL to the replies on this thread.

OP, just explain more about the girl, and be honest about it.

Most of the posters here are just messing with you, have fun.

It's not that bad.

Some girls are just modern, so for them it's not a big thing to bring a guy/boyfriend to meet the family.

It doesn't mean marriage has to be the next step.

But it is a serious step to some extent, so do consider what the girl might expect after the visit.

As for meeting the family:

Just take to heart the advice regarding where to put your feet, wai the parents, don't touch the children, smile, try the food,

say it is 'pet' and smile.

Just be nice and friendly. Dress average but decent. Don't dress rich looking.

Keep the visit to a pop-in: spend a few hours then leave.

You could bring some small gifts, but don't shower them with gifts.

What is always a good idea is to go to the market before and bring food as gift!

As you stated, for you it is also an opportunity to see another part of Thailand.

You should go with that in mind: to go and have a look with no intention of staying.

Try to show interest in the people and their lives, but don't ask too much.

You will probably experience what most farang experience in this situation; you get 'ignored' after 10 minutes,

cos people change the topic, the focus shifts, mainly due to language barrier.

For a lot of poster, as soon as you mention Ubon, aka Issarn, it just has to involve bar girls.

While it is true that most bar girls come from there, it doesn't mean that all are the same.

However, whether your gf is a bargirl or not, you can answer yourself.

There are a lot of normal people in Ubon also.

Conversation back on topic ! All other posts are so humourous and witty nonetheless. I read this forum every single day. Can't wait to be back in Thailand next month (oops getting off topic now)

• Like 1

To ryro88 - you certainly are an active little b_ugger.

On 13/09 you ask TV members for information on the best areas to stay in Bkk for bars & gogos. I'm assuming you won't be reading books in these places.

On 14/09 you ask TV members for information about the do's and don'ts of meeting a Thai girls parents (up country) for the first time.

Make up your mind. You're either in it for fun with no commitments or you're in it on a more serious note - as that's how the girl's parents will see it.

If it's for fun stay at a hotel, don't sleep with the girl at her village.

SITUATION UPDATE. Ok guys so we have decided that we should stay in a hotel very close to where she lives and vist the family village each morning / afternoon of our stay in Ubon.

That's a better plan. It will be better for you too, you will have aircon at night be able to get something to eat if you dont like what they make etc.

You might let her stay at her house and you stay the hotel alone, let her enjoy the time with her family. That gives you time to get out and see things.

To ryro88 - you certainly are an active little b_ugger.

On 13/09 you ask TV members for information on the best areas to stay in Bkk for bars & gogos. I'm assuming you won't be reading books in these places.

On 14/09 you ask TV members for information about the do's and don'ts of meeting a Thai girls parents (up country) for the first time.

Make up your mind. You're either in it for fun with no commitments or you're in it on a more serious note - as that's how the girl's parents will see it.

If it's for fun stay at a hotel, don't sleep with the girl at her village.

You only live once my friend! No time to waste!

Do? Run

Is that do, do, run, run, run, do, do, run, run mate? biggrin.png

" I met her in Soi Cowboy and my heart stood still

do, do, run, run, run, do, do, run, run

She went and told me that her buffalo was ill

do, do, run, run, run, do, do, run, run

Yeah, my heart stood still

Yeah, her buffalo was ill

Then, when she nicked my iphone

do, do, run, run, run, do, do, run, run"

With sincere apologies to The Crystals.

Edited by mca
  • Like 2

Be yourself and let them take care of you.

Take spoke prepared food for yourself, make sure your girlfriend explains why. But also try there food.

Ps: keep your wallet at home.

Yeah, take your own food and bring out to eat when they are chowing down on whatever, or better sit outside alone and eat it.....great way to impress.

Is there anything that I should remember not do that would be perfectly normal in the western world tho maybe disrectful to a thai?

Dont leave the toilet seat up.

And according to some, dont wear shorts....but that is only if you like to grovel and cannot stand the thought of ever upsetting their sensitive souls.

Dont pick your teeth with your fingers....nor fart at the table...or floor.

Don't leave the toilet seat up??? What toilet seat? More than likely it's the porcelain squatter!...Stay at a local guest house or resort (usually have normal toilets)...Its what I did when I visited the family in Issan (kalasin)