Canadian teacher seriously injured in Phuket bike smash

webfact

Accident happens to any of us anytime we do not expect.

When I met motorcycle accident, people who picked me up

told me that I was already dead.

I gained conscious in the hospital where they brought me for gamble. Thinking that who knows, if I could still live?

Thanks God, i was not commatized but have 2 fructured ribs.

Thanks God, he gave me another life.

Mark...i hope you will survive. God is the best of all...

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope this person recovers to live a full life. But...it just seems so odd to me that every time I hear about a motorcycle crash in Phuket where the foreigner ends up unconscious they are having to remove half the skull.

I hope I never end up in an accident, even more so, not in Phuket. They know our ability to raise money, so I have to be a bit curious when it comes to legitimacy of all these injuries.

Apologies if I've missed this, but I'm interested to hear which school are washing their hands of any responsibility this time. Anyone know? An all too reoccurring theme in Thailand.

There's too many of these shysters operating with impunity and without any form of rigorous regulation. Their philosophy is to pay and provide their teachers with as little as they can get away with, hence the probation with no cover BS - if you're qualified then why the probation? If not, why employed? Besides all this, if you are employed by said company then company is required to provide medical insurance, end of!

Same goes with providing an 'international' education to their unaware young students. They truly are despicable places these cash cow establishments.

• Like 1

In the past 12 years of living in Phuket, I have lost several friends.

One died of a heart attack at an unexpected early age.

All the others (all of them!), died as a result of motorbike accidents.

Those stats maybe speak for themselves. Ride a motorbike in Phuket and you HUGELY increase your chances of dying other than by natural causes

Simon

Edited by simon43

Correct canadian health care works only when in the country>he should have asked his employer about insurance, if not ,he should have got private!

no reason for anyone not to wear a helmet !!......very hard to get this across in Thailand ! Freedom is a great thing but common sense is even better! so now he goes to the hospital and will be taken care of,no questions asked but someone must pay for his treatment and not the the Thai health care system, which is very good and I know first hand! Lucky to have caring parents!.......another good reason for NHSO(public health care provider) to push

for a tourist coverage system................because this is a burden on thailand if no one pays and the person just pulls a runner(when better) and goes home!!But I can hear all the noise if people are forced to buy health care ins.when arriving...as a canadian myself I think it is sad we are not covered when we leave the country, but jeess he should have known !Hope for a speedy recovery!

Apologies if I've missed this, but I'm interested to hear which school are washing their hands of any responsibility this time. Anyone know? An all too reoccurring theme in Thailand.

There's too many of these shysters operating with impunity and without any form of rigorous regulation. Their philosophy is to pay and provide their teachers with as little as they can get away with, hence the probation with no cover BS - if you're qualified then why the probation? If not, why employed? Besides all this, if you are employed by said company then company is required to provide medical insurance, end of!

Same goes with providing an 'international' education to their unaware young students. They truly are despicable places these cash cow establishments.

Same here - as a parent I'm curious to know the school he was going to work in.

Wear a helmet....bike, scooter, motorbike. Your head doesn't really care what it fell off, when it hits the ground.

How true. I had a friend who died from a motor bike crash on Samui two years ago. Had he been wearing a helmet he would still be with us today.

Everyone please wear a helmet.

Hope Mark gets well soon.

Edited by mdmayes

I really hope this person recovers to live a full life. But...it just seems so odd to me that every time I hear about a motorcycle crash in Phuket where the foreigner ends up unconscious they are having to remove half the skull.

I hope I never end up in an accident, even more so, not in Phuket. They know our ability to raise money, so I have to be a bit curious when it comes to legitimacy of all these injuries.

I'm not sure I understand your post, are you claiming the docotors worsen the injuries to make more money?

I'm not sure I understand your post, are you claiming the docotors worsen the injuries to make more money?

I wonder if oops also knows that whilst you are unconscious, they also remove a kidney and sell it on the black market in Bangkok, and then tell you that one of your kidneys was ruptured ans needed to be removed. :) :)

• Like 1

I think we must be a little careful at pointing fingers at the school without all the facts. I teach there (I am not in management) and I can tell you one of the first forms you fill in is for your medical insurance. I received my card around 10 days after I arrived. We were advised about the dangers of driving in Phuket and we were given the HR manager's number to call if we are in an accident and need assistance (obviously if we are able to).

I was covered in my probation period.

If you read the first article it mentions "minimal coverage", now suddenly Mark does not have insurance???????

Xonax hits the nail on the head about medical insurance, I have been looking into topping up.

Hello All,

Mark is a good friend of mine and the school he was working for was Kanjonkiet International School in Phuket. I had planned to meet him in October. I will try to get down there soon so I can see him. He is a great guy and I hope he has a speedy recovery.

William

• Like 1

This is a Thai bilingual school, NOT an International School. This is one of the points I was trying to make. These schools just insert the word 'International' and away they go with absolutely no regulation/assessment of their curriculum, teaching methods, staff credentials etc. etc.

To the family I hope Mark can recover as best as possible. If everyone here would send some loving healing positive energy, it may help. I say this as a fellow Canadian, and one who has survived thru 2 motorcycle accidents here. All my love and healing thoughts. With love and light.

This is a Thai bilingual school, NOT an International School. This is one of the points I was trying to make. These schools just insert the word 'International' and away they go with absolutely no regulation/assessment of their curriculum, teaching methods, staff credentials etc. etc.

Actually you can only apply for British accreditation at the end of your third year. Kajonkiet International has been going for 2 years.

End of the year (school year) I believe they will apply.... watch this space.

odd that there is still no factual record of the event: no pics, no contact info, no reports from anyone outside of the immediate family. odd, indeed.

anyway, theres been an update:

key notes: he had been drinking, and that is why the insurance is not covering the bills.

Today the news from Phuket was not as positive. Mark hasn’t been as responsive over the past three visits, and we are hopeful that it is simply fatigue. Mark also had to be moved out of ICU earlier than anticipated due to the high number of head traumas in Phuket recently. The major concern right now is his left arm which suffered nerve and ligament damage. They are unable to perform the necessary surgery at his current hospital - either he can return home or transfer to Bangkok, neither of which are options for him at this time. Unfortunately the medical bills are already higher than anticipated as well.

We have also learned some more details surrounding the accident. It was a night with significant rainfall when Mark swerved on his scooter to miss something and hit a telephone pole. Fortunately he was wearing his helmet, but it did not have full facial protection. The reason the insurance is not covering the costs associated with his accident is because they have a zero alcohol tolerance, and there was some found in Mark’s blood upon admittance. We still do not have all the details, but if this fact changes the intention of your financial support, please contact me directly via FB.

The major prayer concerns right now are for a speedy recovery to improve Mark’s ability to travel and for regaining sight in the left eye and use of his left arm. Our family continues to be touched by the level of support that has been shown toward our brother. Hopefully we can provide better news in the next update.

- See more at: http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/medical-relief-for-mark/86980#sthash.wJFnbU52.dpuf

odd that there is still no factual record of the event: no pics, no contact info, no reports from anyone outside of the immediate family. odd, indeed.

key notes: he had been drinking, and that is why the insurance is not covering the bills.

Today the news from Phuket was not as positive. Mark hasn’t been as responsive over the past three visits, and we are hopeful that it is simply fatigue. Mark also had to be moved out of ICU earlier than anticipated due to the high number of head traumas in Phuket recently. The major concern right now is his left arm which suffered nerve and ligament damage. They are unable to perform the necessary surgery at his current hospital - either he can return home or transfer to Bangkok, neither of which are options for him at this time. Unfortunately the medical bills are already higher than anticipated as well.

We have also learned some more details surrounding the accident. It was a night with significant rainfall when Mark swerved on his scooter to miss something and hit a telephone pole. Fortunately he was wearing his helmet, but it did not have full facial protection. The reason the insurance is not covering the costs associated with his accident is because they have a zero alcohol tolerance, and there was some found in Mark’s blood upon admittance. We still do not have all the details, but if this fact changes the intention of your financial support, please contact me directly via FB.

The major prayer concerns right now are for a speedy recovery to improve Mark’s ability to travel and for regaining sight in the left eye and use of his left arm. Our family continues to be touched by the level of support that has been shown toward our brother. Hopefully we can provide better news in the next update.

- See more at: http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/medical-relief-for-mark/86980#sthash.wJFnbU52.dpuf

Which insurance is not covering the bills because of alcohol found in his blood? A Canadian insurance or the health insurance provided by the school?

Which insurance is not covering the bills because of alcohol found in his blood? A Canadian insurance or the health insurance provided by the school?

canadian insurance is not applicable. has to the school's health insurance, presumably. although, once again, this, too, has not been related.

1.43MB in donations and absolutely virtually no facts re: the case. so odd.

canadian insurance is not applicable. has to the school's health insurance, presumably. although, once again, this, too, has not been related.

1.43MB in donations and absolutely virtually no facts re: the case. so odd.

I very much doubt the school's health insurance would not pay because of alcohol in the blood, unless he was seriously drunk. Could be accident insurance refusing to pay.

Edited by stevenl

I very much doubt the school's health insurance would not pay because of alcohol in the blood. Could be accident insurance refusing to pay.

Judging by this story the school did not provide health insurance.

he had just begun work and was surely on a probation period. full coverage likely does not begin until after probation (3 months in most cases).

anyway, he must have been blasted to hit a pole. no indication of time, alcohol level, nothing.

Edited by samsara