Beer prices

jackjones

I have seen boxes of Leo large bottles at 580 and 575 Baht in two local shops. The same shops are asking 50 baht for a single bottle. I suspect the big stores will be selling the boxes at about 570 or so. Has anyone seen the prices in any of the big stores?

Edited by jackjones

I went to two bars near Arcade the other night. First, had already raised from 60 tp 65 for a large Leo. The second sent some one over to tell me that the next day they would be charging 75 instead of 65 for Leo yai. I paid 495 for a case of them a few weeks ago, at TescoExpress.

The lady in our village charged me 120 baht for 2 bottles of Leo with some ice.....<deleted>.

Round the corner , 100 baht.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And, I bet she bought them before the tax went up bah.gif

On a similar note ...the chang I bought from my village shop went from 43 to 45 baht.

I can cope with that no problem...

....but off topic

Ten eggs 6 weeks ago were 36bt,then it was 1bt a week increase....now they are 43 bt.

My omelette breakfast is becoming a bloody luxury and I may have to go back to toast.

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

• Like 2

On a similar note ...the chang I bought from my village shop went from 43 to 45 baht.

....but off topic

Ten eggs 6 weeks ago were 36bt,then it was 1bt a week increase....now they are 43 bt.

My omelette breakfast is becoming a bloody luxury and I may have to go back to toast.

Not much we can do about the beer prices but you can alter things with eggs. I got pissed off with eggs in bags of ten constantly being all mixed sizes but them selling at 'O' size prices. Several places around where you can buy genuine 'O' size for 125 Baht a tray of 30 and they seem to be better quality and presumably straight from the farmer. I just walk in now with my empty egg tray and fill up choosing my own eggs, much better deal.

Sent from my rice cooker in the kitchen !

Edited by trainman34014

! Yes please - me too. Jacob's Creek at 100B? You bet - My truck is waiting! My former wine store in Canada - current price for a bottle of Jacob's Creek Chardonnay Classic (not their premium line) runs at B440. So please sign me up.

This week's special is 146 THB for CK Mondavi, which I think is quite a bit better.

....but off topic

Assuming you're making two-egg omelettes then your breakfast has gone up by less than your beer. I wouldn't quite put into the luxury food category yet, although the extra 1 1/2 bahts soon add up.

I remember when breakfast was bread and dripping, and sometimes the dripping didn't turn up! We're not back to the days yet. Mind you, we were poor but we were happy.......

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Local beer stop/shop in Bann Sa Ha-Kon was so so sorry but had to increase his Big Heinees to 75 Bt each ..but I don't mind too much.....its handy.

However found a new 7-11 on 1317 who are still doing a 2 H-Yai combo (twin pkt) for 135 Bt so will see....

bought the lot prob nil left

Also Was in Tescos yesterday down at Chiang PuK and they had no big Hs on the shelves at all Ni -Zilch....no doubt still thinking about ever little bit ..etc...anyway as for now No idea what they are scoring...but will find out.....one has to dosnt One

Edited by Rinrada

....but off topic

2 eggs are 7 baht in the village so 35 baht for 10. Even cheaper if you get your own chickens

....but off topic

2 eggs are 7 baht in the village so 35 baht for 10. Even cheaper if you get your own chickens

I'm amazed how many people know, to the baht, how much eggs are. Are you all on such tight budgets that it makes a difference or are you all just very prudent? It doesn't bother me, I just find it strange because I don't think I've ever been able to quote the price of an egg, or the cost of a cabbage, and I've never been well off. Just not that bothered to remember prices - they cost what they cost and that's it as far as I'm concerned. Until I came to Thailand I don't think I'd ever heard a bloke mention the price of eggs, that was always regarded as old woman's talk, and even then it was something from the 50s and 60s.

I go to a supermarket or market and may well buy a cheaper brand of toothpaste but I don't make a mental note of the price. Other than being poor, I don't see how a baht or so difference in the price of eggs would make a difference to anyone here, whereas the cost of beer could make big difference to some...

The cost of eggs is used as an overall indicator of food inflation rates, kai dow recently went from 5 to 10 bt. per fong ...... back to beer, in a cheap charlie moment (frugal fred) I recently bought a red horse beer 36 baht for a large bottle, ....a step down from Archa but high alc. tasted just like Thai beer after the first swig.

Edited by daoyai

Big Leos were always 495 a case in Tesco and that price seemed to be around for ages (at least 2 years - I have it in my Hash House Harriers beer buying records), so everyone is being a bit one-eyed moaning on about inflationary increase which finally came through.

Haven't clocked their new case price yet on account of no new stock in our locals - sucked dry last weekend. Anyone seen the new price?

....but off topic

I'm amazed how many people know, to the baht, how much eggs are. Are you all on such tight budgets that it makes a difference or are you all just very prudent? It doesn't bother me, I just find it strange because I don't think I've ever been able to quote the price of an egg, or the cost of a cabbage, and I've never been well off. Just not that bothered to remember prices - they cost what they cost and that's it as far as I'm concerned. Until I came to Thailand I don't think I'd ever heard a bloke mention the price of eggs, that was always regarded as old woman's talk, and even then it was something from the 50s and 60s.

I go to a supermarket or market and may well buy a cheaper brand of toothpaste but I don't make a mental note of the price. Other than being poor, I don't see how a baht or so difference in the price of eggs would make a difference to anyone here, whereas the cost of beer could make big difference to some...

I know because I walk to the village shop and buy two eggs every day I'm in the village as I enjoy a morning stroll. I'd have to be a goldfish to forget the price wouldn't I?

Now if you ask me the price of beer the answer is I simply don't know as I normally buy more than one beer with other stuff mixed in. Also when I go to a bar the prices are all different. I never buy beer in Tesco, it's either the village shop and I drink it there with others and buy other kanom's etc, or in a bar.

It's just general awareness I guess. If I see a price I know roughly how much it is and that's fine. I don't know the exact cost of many things to the nearest 1 baht or 1p but I know the egg price for the reasons mentioned. Anyhow, I don't see any problem with knowing the cost of things.

I remember when one of the ministers in the UK was asked how much a pint of milk was and he was way out. It makes them look bad as they don't have any understanding of prices and how normal people struggle with food bills, etc.

Edited by stament
  • Like 1

....but off topic

I know because I walk to the village shop and buy two eggs every day I'm in the village as I enjoy a morning stroll. I'd have to be a goldfish to forget the price wouldn't I?

That's fair enough, you're excused.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

See, it makes no difference that the baht is going down vs the dollar (unless you have a LOT of $$, lucky you) , as inflation is on the rise, kicking up everything we buy. It must hit the Thais especially hard.

The beer case at Tesco on Santhitam looks like a raid happened to it. Lots of holes where beer used to be. Price tags being changed right now.

Despite the tax increase, 330ml bottles of Rogue and Anderson Valley beer remain at 199 baht at the Rimping and 150 baht at The Dukes.

I think those are probably slow sellers and that they haven't yet re-stocked. As expensive as imported beers are they're generally a lower mark- up so I'd be surprised if they don't go up. I assume you meant the prices to be the other way round?

Despite the tax increase, 330ml bottles of Rogue and Anderson Valley beer remain at 199 baht at the Rimping and 150 baht at The Dukes.

I think those are probably slow sellers and that they haven't yet re-stocked. As expensive as imported beers are they're generally a lower mark- up so I'd be surprised if they don't go up. I assume you meant the prices to be the other way round?

No, the prices shouldn't be the other way around (well, maybe they should be but they aren't). Duke's restuarant has been selling those beers at a lower price than the Rimping supermarket for about a month now. I don't know the reason why.

Edited by AngelsLariat

No, the prices should't be the other way around (well, maybe they should be but they aren't). Duke's restuarant has been selling those beers at a lower price than the Rimping supermarket for about a month now. I don't know the reason why.

If you don't tell, neither will I.

No, the prices should't be the other way around (well, maybe they should be but they aren't). Duke's restuarant has been selling those beers at a lower price than the Rimping supermarket for about a month now. I don't know the reason why.

I don't understand what you mean. If I don't tell what?

I don't understand what you mean. If I don't tell what?

If you don't tell Dave at The Dukes that he's undercharging , apparently.