Thailand to introduce e-Visa from 2015

Happy days for some, a disaster for others.

If they add a criminal record check to the visa application as they do in some countries ( and why wouldn't they ) then some of these "notorious" highly connected thugs wandering about the place playing the part of the Godfather will be barred entry.

I'm loving it already. drunk.gif

Not sure where you dreamed that one up blether !

This is a simplified system and it works like clockwork for Cambodia (would work even better if e-visas were accepted at every point of entry).

HOWEVER, in Cambodia the e-visa system is only used for one month tourist visas - Thailand is visa exempt in those circumstances.

I cannot imagine that the e-visa system could be used for Non-Imm 'Ó's etc

Obviously you have never applied for an E-visa for Australia.

Go through the process and you will see that you are asked if you have spent more than 12 months in custody. People being turned back by the US due to their criminal record is a regular occurrence too. China also requests criminal record disclosure before a visa is granted.

These new generation E-Visas linked to passports will soon result in a tightening up at the border points. There's no dreaming about it, computer cross referencing will become far more common at Border Controls in future. Criminal records will start following people across the World.

Criminal records are a side issue. Not a very important one at that - if someone has a passport then they are at liberty to travel. Any previous misdemeanors will have their time or penalties duly served.

Computer cross-referencing cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

This is Thailand - ever used the Chong sa Ngam border into Thailand ?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can't do a criminal record check in this way. Some countries ask if arrivals have criminal records to scare them into admitting it, but, if they lie, there is no way to tell unless they have a current warrant out for their arrest. I think that maybe Canada and the US share this kind of information and maybe countries inside the EU, but mostly countries do not make this kind of information about their citizens accessible.

In the US criminal records are considered public records. With a name and date of birth I can go online and do a criminal records check by paying a fee of $1.25. The national sex offenders registry is even easier.

I sincerely hope we do not see such "freedom of information" in the UK, especially after the debacle in Scotland that saw children removed from their families based upon hearsay and hyperbole.

This disastrous attempt by "do-gooder" social workers ultimately resulted in families having to move away from their home towns in order to rid themselves of their (unearned) tarnished reputations...!

Some of the social workers responsible for the whole debacle ended up losing their jobs; if I had been in a position of responsibility over them, I would have sought prison sentences and compensation for the damage that they caused....!!

• Like 1

Todays computers are very capable of doing all these things a the push of a few buttons

In Australia a Police man can pull you ocer and see everything that you have done, except your breakfast menu

but there must be a will to do and achieve

not just a will to talk

You've got that all wrong Cardholder, many countries will refuse entry to people with criminal records, irrespective of any rehabilitation law relevant in their home country. Travel by passport is a privilege, not a right. You cannot demand the US gives you entry just because you have served your sentence under the UK Rehabilitation Act. Australia the same.

We'll see how comical you find it when every major air terminal in the World is fitted with E-Gates linked to passports. This is one area of international travel that will not stagnate. As sure as night follows day there will be some magical international agreement drawn up under the guise of prevention of terrorism and access to other countries criminal data bases will become de riguer.

Oh, and a simple click to acknowledge that you have given permission for your record to be checked will be included on all E-applications. China is already getting ancy about people trying to get visas to visit from third countries, they are starting to insist you apply in your own country. There will be a clampdown under that poisonous banner which is..............

"We're doing all this for your passenger safety".

Orwellian? yes.......on the cards? You better believe it.

• Like 2

You've got that all wrong Cardholder, many countries will refuse entry to people with criminal records, irrespective of any rehabilitation law relevant in their home country. Travel by passport is a privilege, not a right. You cannot demand the US gives you entry just because you have served your sentence under the UK Rehabilitation Act. Australia the same.

We'll see how comical you find it when every major air terminal in the World is fitted with E-Gates linked to passports. This is one area of international travel that will not stagnate. As sure as night follows day there will be some magical international agreement drawn up under the guise of prevention of terrorism and access to other countries criminal data bases will become de riguer.

Oh, and a simple click to acknowledge that you have given permission for your record to be checked will be included on all E-applications. China is already getting ancy about people trying to get visas to visit from third countries, they are starting to insist you apply in your own country. There will be a clampdown under that poisonous banner which is..............

"We're doing all this for your passenger safety".

Orwellian? yes.......on the cards? You better believe it.

I will find it comical blether because the SERIOUS criminals will find a way round any system. Such Draconian (or Orwellian) measures only tend to hamper the average punter. Some poor guy who pinched a box of chocolates from Walmart, or the Dutch guy caught with an ounce of wacky backy in 1972, are the ones who will find entry barred whilst the drug lords (and chocolate barons) will no doubt travel freely.

However sophisticated the rest of the world gets, Chong sa ngam border will still look like a wild west frontier post and all bar Jack the Ripper will be assured of a smooth passage over the border.....

• Like 1

EVisas to be available for "certain" kinds of visas for people from "certain" countries....

Let's wait and see how the blanks get filled in before pronouncing judgment.

Meanwhile, I suppose it deserves to be said... Thailand, Hub of Copy Cambodia! tongue.png

But seriously, I'm assuming the E-Visas thing is a result of the recent cases of stolen visa stamps from several Thai consulates around the world. I believe, our esteemed Foreign Minister started talking about E-Visas as a way to restrain the stolen visa stamps problem.... But it seems unlikely that E-Visas are going to replace the local consulate activities any time soon.

• Like 1

They can't do a criminal record check in this way. Some countries ask if arrivals have criminal records to scare them into admitting it, but, if they lie, there is no way to tell unless they have a current warrant out for their arrest. I think that maybe Canada and the US share this kind of information and maybe countries inside the EU, but mostly countries do not make this kind of information about their citizens accessible.

Not if it's the US.

A collegue at work tried that and nearly got deported from the USA on arrival for not mentioning his prison time. He'd stolen electricity (via the meter fiddle) and had a suspended sentence.

Also there is now a record of arrest made in the UK and some Euro countries so if you don't declare being arrested and released without charge, or cautions, warnings etc you can be in the sht for not declaring it.

For Thailand so far they've been easy-going about the criminal record thing but the way things are going they are copying the West / USA more and more alas.

If they add a criminal record check to the visa application as they do in some countries ( and why wouldn't they ) then some of these "notorious" highly connected thugs wandering about the place playing the part of the Godfather will be barred entry.

Looks like I'm fckd then.

Now if they could just add egates we'll be laughing. Not going to happen though, is it?

Unlikely.

Malaysia's E-gates were already working smoothly more than 10 years ago.

The YUK got as far as iris recognition but the system seems to be permanently broken, as with electronic chip passport entry gates.

This is unlikely to be for anything other than tourist visas for nationalities that can get a transit visa on arrival. No documents or financial statements required for these. You just pay the fee and hopefully they can figure out how to accept credit cards, rather than asking people to transfer money and fax them the ATM slip. There would also be no need to link airlines to this data because the holders of the visas could travel to Thailand without a visa. The US and Australian systems will be the model and these are only for nationals of countries that don't need to supply any information except their passport details and basic personal information.

In the US criminal records are considered public records. With a name and date of birth I can go online and do a criminal records check by paying a fee of $1.25. The national sex offenders registry is even easier.

Does Snowden know about this and has he told Assange?

I suppose this will be great if you happen to be a Thai who has a dual passport, and you want to come and go without setting foot in an Embassy. I wonder if channel 3 knows of anyone in that position?

Channel 3's boy will be using a passport from a country that doesn't need a visa when he comes back on his other passport for family reunions and medical treatment. You don't expect him to buy a Somalian passport now, do you? The Montenegrn from Dubai, on the other hand, dispenses with passport control formalities when flits in aboard his Gulfsteam.

This is a simplified system and it works like clockwork for Cambodia (would work even better if e-visas were accepted at every point of entry).

HOWEVER, in Cambodia the e-visa system is only used for one month tourist visas - Thailand is visa exempt in those circumstances.

Obviously you have never applied for an E-visa for Australia.

Go through the process and you will see that you are asked if you have spent more than 12 months in custody. People being turned back by the US due to their criminal record is a regular occurrence too. China also requests criminal record disclosure before a visa is granted.

These new generation E-Visas linked to passports will soon result in a tightening up at the border points. There's no dreaming about it, computer cross referencing will become far more common at Border Controls in future. Criminal records will start following people across the World.

Especially if the Chinese start travelling.

Ps. Blether is right about getting in to China.

If Immigration ever gets linked to airline computers, this could be a problem for dual nationals as they might be able to see which travellers to Western countries showed Western passports at check in pr booked tickets using a foreign passport. Already in some countries you have a problem boarding the aircraft if you show a different passport at the boarding gate from the one in the system. I saw a Russian man rejected for boarding a plane to Moscow at London Heathrow because showed a US passport at the gate and the system wouldn't accept him until he produced his Russian passport that he had obviously used to book the ticket out of Russian but had used a US passport to enter the UK visa free. Perhaps the automatic gates at Swampy would not let a Thai pass with his Thai passport, if he had booked a ticket to the US with his US passport.

One thing I always wondered, if you get an e-visa for Cambodia, does that negate the need for them to use a whole page for a sticker?

I guess this will be like Thailand's electronic tax filing. You submit the application online, then 4 weeks later someone contacts you to bring in all your documents in person to the office to check anyway.

This maybe ok for tourist visas but how is it going to work for non-immigrant visas when they want lists of documents like bank records, letters, company documentation, company tax record. I can't see how this will be any faster or more convenient than the current visa application process

just call NSA or MI5 and all criminal records are avaible

UPDATE:

Thailand plans to launch the electronic visa (e-visa) system in late 2014

BANGKOK: Thai Deputy Permanent Secretary for Foreign Affairs Nuttavudh Photisaro told journalists of the plan, acknowledging that his ministry has begun developing the e-visa system in accordance with the international standard.

Nuttavudh said that existing visa labels will no longer be used when his ministry completes the development of the e-visa system and introduces the new service, expected by Oct 1, 2014.

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-09-14

good they announced it for 2015...

plenty time to set up an immigration regional hub if the idea not working out as proposed.

if most ( the certain countries they refer to) nationals already visa-free, what is really the point of this proposal unless non-immigrant visas included.

i rather hope that with ASEAN some rigth to residency if one married, and has family will be changed to a more common sense way.

Siemens are very good at this type of thing as they have provided all the electronic MOT equipment for the UK (no more paper documents to steal or forge)

Whether a vehicle was roadworthy on the day of test is held on a central computer. Each test station has a terminal which only works when the vehicle tester inserts his smart card.

Unlike several ill fated computer schemes that the government has wasted vast amounts of money on, this one works! Deutschland uber alles!

I am not a computer expert but I would expect that a system running Unix or Linux would be the type of system to go for as other Operating Systems come with too much built-in-obsolescence. The newer operating systems of you-know-who appear to check the date of "legacy" (old) software and refuse to run it. They want you to pay again and again and again.

(I have no connections with Siemens apart from getting my annual MOT)

I suppose this will be great if you happen to be a Thai who has a dual passport, and you want to come and go without setting foot in an Embassy. I wonder if channel 3 knows of anyone in that position?

To Thai at Heart #7: If you have dual citizenship, say U.S. & Thailand, I'm curious as to why you'd need a visa.

I've been told that a Thai should use her U.S. passport only when entering & exiting the U.S., that she should use her Thailand passport for Thailand. In cases where a Thai immigration official asks about missing other-country visas, simply explain that you're a dual citizen & show him your American passport if he asks for it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

just call NSA or MI5 and all criminal records are avaible

A friend is a yachtsman who sails in the Caribbean. He told me about some suspicious characters that he met so I tried doing a bit of research for him. I came across an Interpol website which is really brilliant, in fact its so good that I'm amazed the the UK government hasn't banned it for infringing criminals rights.

Just do an internet search for "Interpol's most wanted"

http://www.interpol.int/Wanted-Persons