Heavy rain to continue as Bangkok monitors flooding

webfact

I have been in Thailand for more then 6 years..... look what happen in Europe last year, in America now, in Australia last year....... In china..... wake up....

You are not living in a country that not have the same facility that western Europe.... remember where you are/live.....

2011 was the most extreme since 1945, ...

The country saw severe flooding in 1983 and 1995, but the 2011 floods caused greater damage....

FYI

According to the Royal Irrigation Department, approximately 400 million cubic meters of water from the Chao Phraya River can usually empty into the sea by a combination of

natural water flow and a network of sluth gates. During the 2011 flooding, an estimated 16 billion cubic meters needed to drain.

According to the World Bank, flooding is the most frequent of natural disasters globally

I have been in Thailand for more then 6 years..... look what happen in Europe last year, in America now, in Australia last year....... In china..... wake up....

You are not living in a country that not have the same facility that western Europe.... remember where you are/live.....

The country saw severe flooding in 1983 and 1995, but the 2011 floods caused greater damage....

FYI

According to the Royal Irrigation Department, approximately 400 million cubic meters of water from the Chao Phraya River can usually empty into the sea by a combination of

natural water flow and a network of sluth gates. During the 2011 flooding, an estimated 16 billion cubic meters needed to drain.

According to the World Bank, flooding is the most frequent of natural disasters globally

You need to keep your story straight.. would be better.

Flooding does not have to take months look in other countries.

But that was not the point you were acting like people made a problem out of a bit of flooding for 1 or 2 days during heavy rain. They are not we are talking about the mass flooding of 2011. That was a big shame and could have been prevented if the dams were monitored better and they went for safety instead of pleasing the farmers.

• Like 2

I think that our Dutch (doe 'es rustig) and Norwegian (ta det med ro) friends need to calm down a little bit. You both have good points, but I don't understand all the noise about this.

Yes, it has been raining very heavily. And yes, believe it or not, there has been a lot of dredging. A LOT. Just because you don't see it happening everywhere at the same time, does not mean t is not happening.

Complaining about corruption and incompetence does no good here. Handling the amount of rain coming down at the same time is a very big task, difficult to handle.

The local governments have been busy trying to improve the situation. However, if people keep dumping their crap in the drains and canals, what can you do? Where do you think the street kitchens dump their oil and garbage?

• Like 1

What you will see next days, and weeks are local flooding... that is what people complain about...

2010 was dry and the farmers complain about to little water for the rice farm, so next year (2011) they demanded that the water level should be higher in the water dams, well it become much higher

I think that our Dutch (doe 'es rustig) and Norwegian (ta det med ro) friends need to calm down a little bit. You both have good points, but I don't understand all the noise about this.

Yes, it has been raining very heavily. And yes, believe it or not, there has been a lot of dredging. A LOT. Just because you don't see it happening everywhere at the same time, does not mean t is not happening.

Complaining about corruption and incompetence does no good here. Handling the amount of rain coming down at the same time is a very big task, difficult to handle.

The local governments have been busy trying to improve the situation. However, if people keep dumping their crap in the drains and canals, what can you do? Where do you think the street kitchens dump their oil and garbage?

Thing is, without corruption you would have the right people doing this job (no nepotism) and 30% more money would be spend on the job instead of it going to the red hoard.

So yes id say its a big problem, here where I live they started working on a new dam / sluice system. They stopped because the money ran out. Been dead in its tracks for months with it party complete.

• Like 1

I would not complain as much if there were people in charge who knew their stuff and were honest and not thinking of what programs could be skimmed of the most. Thing is often they go for large not needed projects to skim off money. I rather have good competent people in charge who are not afraid to loose face and hire foreigners if needed.

Now its just bending to the will of the higher up thieves who rob the country blind, and are visiting other countries all the time. Please get some real experts Thai or foreign to handle this without corruption and nepotism. I can accept that things wont be solved overnight but then at least you know they are doing the best they can. Now you constantly wonder if they are not stupid or just robbing the country blind.

When there are heavy or continuous rains, it will flood. The flood waters will get drained away. How fast it happens depends on a number of factors, but it has been this way for a very, very long time.

I don't think anyone has to fear any major flood that hangs around for a month or so this year.

Sometime in October the rain will stop and the drought will start and everyone will be talking about water shortages.

A number of drains are awaiting dredging.

Hmmmm, news flash... The rainy season is pretty predictable.  It tends to occur at the same time every year.  So why were the drains not cleaned BEFORE the rainy season started?

Right, advanced planning is not a Thai trait.

I am so glad I live in chiang mai. I see the workers checking drains add cleaning tgem....BEFIRE IT RAINS. Every year. Nice work

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't worry one bit to be honest. Like i said it was a one off thing with a lot of things combined. The area is not naturally flood prone at all. It was one of the last ones going under. Like i said they are monitoring the situation much better now and it is not a problem. I seriously don't think they will let something like this happen again. They do learn from mistakes if it costs them enough.

I was not trying to be clever with my post, because I'm alright, just feeling for the people that got hit last time.

If your happy with the situ, then good, being comfortable with things is important.

I doubt it cost THEM personally too much as most of THEM were protected. PM area example.

Don't forget the government who lets this happen again will have a hard time getting votes next time. I almost wish for a flood to wipe out the red shirts it would be worth a month of misery. On the other hand.. democrats are corrupt too.

Well...some by elections in areas that were flooded gives hope. But if the government adds 500 Baht to the usual payment and blame the Democrats they may win again.

I heard already that the amard (=Democrats) is responsible for the floods because the courts blocked some projects. They are doing it to harm the people who vote PTP. OK they may or may not overstretch what people believe.

Is there any flooding in the bang bua thing areas of nontaburi or up dates on the area as I am away working

So would like to get some up date info please

No flooding and you know I live near you. Just loads and loads of rain. Just send me a pm next time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well my uncle lives in Bang Bua Thong, and he WAS one of those victims whose house got flooded at Maneeya Masterpiece, and I DID help him out to move his stuff.

If something happens again he'll tell me...

Is there any flooding in the bang bua thing areas of nontaburi or up dates on the area as I am away working

So would like to get some up date info please

No flooding and you know I live near you. Just loads and loads of rain. Just send me a pm next time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well my uncle lives in Bang Bua Thong, and he WAS one of those victims whose house got flooded at Maneeya Masterpiece, and I DID help him out to move his stuff.

If something happens again he'll tell me...

i got flooded stayed in a flooded house for 6 weeks. I probably would not have if i had known how serious it was.

FYI

Too true; just look at Colorado!

http://www.tropicalstormrisk.com/

Man-Yi neither over, near nor projected to affect Bangkok.

Usagi was used to name two typhoons - one in 2001 and the other in 2007, and there's no reference to any tropical depression or topical storm called Usagi right now.

This article and/or its sources appear to be based in a parallel universe.

Maybe they name them as they do for the Atlantic Hurricane season in the U.S. and Caribbean ?

Each year a list is given in Alphabetical order, consisting of Male and Female names, despite whether or not they develop from 'Tropical Storms' into full blown Category 1-5 Hurricanes.

These names will be recycled and used in future years EXCLUDING names that are associated with devastating hurricanes such as 'Andrew' in 92' and 'Katrina' in 2005 for example....so when the Thai spokesman says 'Usagi' it's possible that it's the next name on the list..if they employ the same principal in this part of the globe.....just a thought...coffee1.gif

There must be so many foreigners who live in flood risk areas, and maybe cannot move home-work-wife-money ??? What I don't understand are the ones that shout and scream about the situ in BKK and other areas, but will not get out.

I feel sorry for someone who was not aware initially of big time floods and cannot move, through circumstances. All I say is get out-move to higher ground, or area IF YOU CAN.

Not necessarily higher ground, but an area which has better drainage. I moved to Samut Prakhan, very close to Suvarnabhumi airport, which is know to be a flood plain (swamp), but the drainage here is exceptional. The enormous downpours help to keep my garden very lush, but as soon as the rain stops, any excess just drains away...

Nice to see Chalerm and Yingluck have solved the drainage problem with having to resort to farang 'experts'

such as Dutch engineers.

You obviously don't watch the news from the Netherlands. If you did you would know about the amount of flooding they have had over there lately, and it is not from the sea, it is flooding caused by run-off from heavy rain. Just like Thailand.

Perhaps the Thais do not want to take advice from a country with hundreds of years of experience with flood mitigation who cannot even keep their own backyard flood free. Bit like asking the Japanese how to make your nuclear powerplants tsunami proof. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Nice to see Chalerm and Yingluck have solved the drainage problem with having to resort to farang 'experts'

such as Dutch engineers.

You obviously don't watch the news from the Netherlands. If you did you would know about the amount of flooding they have had over there lately, and it is not from the sea, it is flooding caused by run-off from heavy rain. Just like Thailand.

Perhaps the Thais do not want to take advice from a country with hundreds of years of experience with flood mitigation who cannot even keep their own backyard flood free. Bit like asking the Japanese how to make your nuclear powerplants tsunami proof. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I watch news from the Netherlands and tell me what floodings lately ?

There will always be some flooding as it cant be prevented we actually have accepted some flooding in rivers and keep unbuild area's as water catchment. Could you please tell me about flooding in the Netherlands lasting more then a week or months like in Thailand. Please give me some facts so we can have a real discussion based on it.

I know its a bit much to ask from the average Thai visa poster but please substantiate your post.

I have been gone back to 2012 we had some flooding problems a few houses nothing more back in the Netherlands if you think that is much.. I wonder.

Usagi was used to name two typhoons - one in 2001 and the other in 2007, and there's no reference to any tropical depression or topical storm called Usagi right now.

Maybe they name them as they do for the Atlantic Hurricane season in the U.S. and Caribbean ?

Each year a list is given in Alphabetical order, consisting of Male and Female names, despite whether or not they develop from 'Tropical Storms' into full blown Category 1-5 Hurricanes.

These names will be recycled and used in future years EXCLUDING names that are associated with devastating hurricanes such as 'Andrew' in 92' and 'Katrina' in 2005 for example....so when the Thai spokesman says 'Usagi' it's possible that it's the next name on the list..if they employ the same principal in this part of the globe.....just a thought...coffee1.gif

Correct, Usagi is the next name on the list. And current depression invest 99W has decent probabity to turn into this Usagi hurricane. Just east of Luzon and headed west it will then certainly affect Thailand.

post-90962-0-75350700-1379277806_thumb.j

Correct, Usagi is the next name on the list. And current depression invest 99W has decent probabity to turn into this Usagi hurricane. Just east of Luzon and headed west it will then certainly affect Thailand.

Please can you tell us where you got the image.

Thanks

Please can you tell us where you got the image.

Thanks

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/TCFP/

Many more pretty pictures on it!

1) Where do you see anything that says that this low pressure system has a "decent probability to turn into this Usagi hurricane"? (It's called a typhoon in the Pacific)

2) Where is a model that says if a typhoon did develop, it would head due west and affect Thailand? That would be a very rare track indeed.

Just asking...

1) Where do you see anything that says that this low pressure system has a "decent probability to turn into this Usagi hurricane"? (It's called a typhoon in the Pacific)

2) Where is a model that says if a typhoon did develop, it would head due west and affect Thailand? That would be a very rare track indeed.

Just asking...

1) check the link in the previous post. 15-20% probability in next 48 hours is considered large by meteorologists.

2) if a typhoon would develop its most likely track would be west over the Philippines, and then due to windshear turn north towards Hainan or northeast towards Taiwan. In either case it will certainly strengthen the monsoon precipitation in the entire region including central Thailand.

But let's just wait a couple of days to see how this develops.

• Like 1