Recent Transport Disasters Blamed On Spirits

Lite Beer

Previously, Thai Rath has reported that a ghost in "traditional costume" (which strangely resembles the outfit Thai Airways flight attendants wear) has helped evacuate the passengers from the aircraft shortly after it slid off the runway.

Must have been an air ghostess!

Shame he wasn't flying the plane to start with...... or maybe he was?????
I flew into Swampy with Thai two days ago. The only ghosts I saw were the crew - because I hardly ever saw them.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just goes to show how many farangs really don't understand the "Thai mind". You must be here just for the ladies. Hope the curse that your Isaan bargirl GF puts on you doesn't come true. The consensus here is that either religion is a sham, Thais believe in the tooth fairy, etc. It's animism--not Buddhism, and it's the oldest, most ubiquitous belief system in the world.

You don't have to believe in what they do, but when you mock it, you just show how superior you are to "them".

Can't you just suspend your superiority for a moment and replace it with anthropological curiosity?

Most of the comments sound as if they were made by British East India Company employees on a tear through Asia.

sorry to disapoint you but not all farang are here for Issan girl or thai wife ....or bar girls in general .... but let me ask you a question .. do you really believe a bad spirit has cause the TG flight problem ? if you answer Yes ... then I have nothing to ad , I will only feel sorry for you ...in general !

Of course not. This is about easing the minds of the Thai nationals that are the main customers--not farangs. Ghost appeasement rituals are not unique to Thailand. They do this in Japan, Taiwan, China, etc.

YOU might not believe that evil spirits cause these accidents, but the THAIS do.

That said--yes, they need to fix the airplanes, but the Thai people also need their animist belief in evil spirits to be assuaged.

Full disclosure--My ex GF's family was deeply into the Thai dark arts. I was exposed to it for years and wrote a book about it and my experience with them.

So, yeah, it's THEIR reality. Shift your paradigm to something other than your Western ways (and superiority) and you might learn more about the culture.

This isn't about the planes--it's about the customers who fly in them.

Awaiting more Richard Dawkins acolytes. I really enjoy hearing about pasta monsters.

You still don't get it, do you?

It is not about that they might do it!

Do it <deleted>!

Kill a goat if you have to or nail a dead cat to the nose of the plane, if that helps!

But what Thai Airways did so far is a mess and a disaster and talking out loud, that they make evil spirits responsible for the mess is a big fat joke!

It starts with painting over the logo, lying about that being standard procedure for Star Alliance and practized the world over, lying about Airbus -statements, neglecting Airbus- advice and now this voodoo- story about spirits and ghost-condos!

Blaming everyone and everything and never accept responsibility and coming up with the most stupid cr2p of all to appease all other yahoos, who don't believe in modern technology!

I bet the many, many international passengers (!!!)will be happy to hear , that Thai basically Fxxxxd up everything until now, but is now trying to appease the ghosts!

...and Thais, no matter how many ghost- babies the have or make, should be very happy and extremely proud, too!

Hooray for Thainess!

Perhaps if you would read the article you might have a clue as to what went wrong. But I doubt it as of the time of writing the article they were not sure. But carry on with the rest of the clueless Thai bashers. You don't want to be accused of thinking it through.

Yes painting over the name was a dumb thing to do and trying to avoid blame was the wrong thing to do. But that has nothing to do with what caused the accident.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

Maybe Yingluck's most significant stopover on her European tour will be the Vatican.

Who better to consult than the head of the Catholic church about the problems of corruption at the highest levels of power and the foibles of misbehaving monks and priests. And best of all she could even ask if the Pope could send someone over to perform an exorcism on Swampy to rid it of those nasty demons that are haunting Thailand just now.

That really would be a triple whammy.

• Like 1

Just goes to show how many farangs really don't understand the "Thai mind". You must be here just for the ladies. Hope the curse that your Isaan bargirl GF puts on you doesn't come true. The consensus here is that either religion is a sham, Thais believe in the tooth fairy, etc. It's animism--not Buddhism, and it's the oldest, most ubiquitous belief system in the world.

You don't have to believe in what they do, but when you mock it, you just show how superior you are to "them".

Can't you just suspend your superiority for a moment and replace it with anthropological curiosity?

Most of the comments sound as if they were made by British East India Company employees on a tear through Asia.

sorry to disapoint you but not all farang are here for Issan girl or thai wife ....or bar girls in general .... but let me ask you a question .. do you really believe a bad spirit has cause the TG flight problem ? if you answer Yes ... then I have nothing to ad , I will only feel sorry for you ...in general !

Of course not. This is about easing the minds of the Thai nationals that are the main customers--not farangs. Ghost appeasement rituals are not unique to Thailand. They do this in Japan, Taiwan, China, etc.

YOU might not believe that evil spirits cause these accidents, but the THAIS do.

That said--yes, they need to fix the airplanes, but the Thai people also need their animist belief in evil spirits to be assuaged.

Full disclosure--My ex GF's family was deeply into the Thai dark arts. I was exposed to it for years and wrote a book about it and my experience with them.

So, yeah, it's THEIR reality. Shift your paradigm to something other than your Western ways (and superiority) and you might learn more about the culture.

Awaiting more Richard Dawkins acolytes. I really enjoy hearing about pasta monsters.

Superstition is ok much of the time, when it's just some individuals with their animist zany unsubstantiated belief systems. Yet there are scenarios where superstition can cause harm. Africa and India are probably the worst in that regard, but SE Asians are in that ballpark. Thankfully, they don't kill children here - for superstitious reasons. That's some consolation.

Just one of thousands of examples of the harm of superstition: In parts of Africa, men with AIDS believe that f'cking a virgin with no protection, will cure them.

"Yes painting over the name was a dumb thing to do and trying to avoid blame was the wrong thing to do. But that has nothing to do with what caused the accident."

No!

Of course not!

What caused the accident, was the Ghost of Christmas Past!

"If that is true why does Thai air not have a history of accidents?"

a) they have! B) It's not the longest in the world, because they bathed the plane in holy water and sacrificed a goat!

Why not just give Thai airways a nickname like Gop or Noy?
then when the bad spirits come looking for Thai Airways the just say, "no, it's only *insert nickname* here, keep looking"
Isn't that why Thais have nicknames? To confuse the spirits? That's what I was told anyway.
There you go Thai Airways, problem solved. Just call yourselves Gop or Noy airways.

Wow this could become a whole new game / thread / art form.

What about "Smile"? Or "Nok"?

Hmmm...you wrote a book? Interesting..What's the title and publisher?

Or is that part just more of your BS?

While initial investigation pointed to a malfunctioned landing gear (the officials have not yet finished their inquiry), the Managing Director of Thai Aiways, Mr. Sorajak Kasemsuvan, is not taking chances. He said his company will conduct a major ceremony to appease the malevolent spirits said to be haunting the airport.

Thai Airways International planes should be banned from EU airports until this man is removed from his post.

NoNoNo leave him tied to the post.

I've written 4 books and also write for BKK magazines. I'd tell you the titles but you sound like the kind of guy that would give a bad review out of spite. Think what you want sir,

Ghost writer ?

The super natural powers of greed and negligence are the true culprits...

If that is true why does Thai air not have a history of accidents?

And where were you all this week?

It doesn't appear they do, because they cover over the Name Signage

as soon as they having one and hope no one notices.

I think that the people on here making accusations of Thai bashing or asking us to understand Thai culture and so understand the MD's statement are missing the point. Thai airways is an international airline and needs to attract international customers and if I had anything to do with running this airline I would immediately replace the MD with someone that understands the business. The majority of us don't enjoy flying and I for one have a small list of airlines with whom I would rather not fly. Thai airways has just been added to that list.

I have an open mind as far as the supernatural is concerned, but please don't ask me to believe that evil spirits are making the wheels come off of your planes!

Edited by delgarcon
  • Like 2

Funny - but dangerous thinking too, if taken remotely seriously. For the same reason that taxi drivers who dangle garlands and amulets around their rear view mirrors (to the point that forward vision is restricted), but don't bother with a safety belt, are dangerous.

More scary is when my van driver bought 2 amulets for the mirror adding to the other 6 as he was running late and then drove bat outta hell!!

They must have worked as I am replying to this ............

I think the time has come to give up on Thailand altogether. It is becoming fourth world and the leaders are all certifiable morons. I think I shall avoid Thai airways as well - wherever I may be.

4thworld. Great!!! Cheaper wages more profit...better exchange rates

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If they really believe it works, they should make an announcement as such, on all landing flights. That should easy the nerves of all arriving passengers.

I guess this is the part of Thainess I don't understand - not taking personal responsibility at all costs. Someone's head should roll after that that incident at the airport.

This is called fear because if they handle these issues like that their head might roll next time.