Rental Bike Scam?

mrkapom

Hello

Im an expat living in Chiang Mai. My rental motorbike was recently stolen, and the situation seems a bit shady.... I may be being scammed, and I'm not sure how to best proceed. Any advice is appreciated.

Here's the story:

I rented a pair of motorbikes in Chiang Mai while a friend was visiting so we could take a trip out of town. We arrived back on Friday night after the store was closed, and my friend planned to take a bus to another town on Saturday morning. He was staying quite close to the bike rental shop and my house is way across town, so we decided to park my bike right in front of the shop so that my friend could just show up with his bike in the morning, return them both, get his passport and go. When he arrived, my bike was gone and the store said they hadn't seen it. I went and met them at the shop, we looked around the neighborhood, and it was definitely gone. I switched my passport for my friend's so he could leave, and now the store owner wants 30,000 baht. It was a Honda Wave 125 with an electric starter, certainly not new, but not really old, either. The odometer said 60,000 km, but it was broken, so who knows what the true number was.

The store owner initially said he would go to the police, and that it didn't matter if I went or not because I wasn't the owner of the bike, and therefore couldn't report it as stolen, so I didn't go. Today, I went to the store to pick up a copy of the police report. He didn't have one, because, according to him, he went to a private investigator, who would try to locate the bike. He hadn't reported it to the regular police yet. When I asked why he wouldn't have reported it to the regular police as well, he kept answering indirectly, then would say that he would report it in a few days when I pressed him about it. I asked him 3 times and never got a straight answer as to why he hasn't told the police yet. I thought this was suspicious, and it seemed especially odd because yesterday he made a big deal about how he had to report it to the police to clear himself of any responsibility in case the people who stole it tried to use the bike to transport drugs or commit some other crime, yet has not yet reported it. He also claimed to have paid the private investigator 3000 baht already, although he didn't ask me to compensate him for that.

It is definitely possible that the bike was legitimately stolen, and the store owner is acting reasonably, and I'm just unfamiliar with the Thai way of dealing with this (like witht he private investigator, not officially filing a report yet, etc). I've rented from this shop several times, and they've always been friendly and professional. I've even recommended it to friends and visitors.

However, this whole situation seems sketchy to me. I don't understand why he hasn't reported the theft yet. How would reporting to the police prevent a private investigator from doing his job? Didn't the shop owner say he wanted to ensure that he was not held responsible if the thieves used the bike for criminal activity? It doesn't make sense.

The bike was parked right in front of the store, they could have easily seen it when they opened, taken it, and then claimed it was stolen. I'm worried if we wait for several days before reporting it, they could easily dismantle it, and it would be gone and untraceable (which is likely happening right now, regardless of who stole it). If the real police never get involved, the shop owner could just take it to his other shop in another city and keep actively renting it out (they have two locations). It could all be a set up. When I went in today, the guy seemed surprised and nervous to see me, and kept asking me when I was going to leave the country, in spite of my having rented the bike using only Thai and explaining that I live and work here more than once. He kept answering my questions indirectly, telling me stories about other customers who have had their bikes stolen or other non-sequitur things instead of clearly telling me what I was asking about. I might just be reading too much into his behavior, there might be language or communication issues (although he speaks good English), but taken all together it seems suspicious to me.

I'm considering going to the police myself, but I'm not really sure what I would say. What could I tell them? Can I report the stolen bike myself? Is there some other reason the shop owner may have not reported it that I'm just not aware of? Am I being scammed? If I am, what can I do about it?

Thank you for your help.

Pay and walk away, you will never win but you may be able to haggle with what he wants, at the end of the day it's his bike which you rented, it has supposedly been stolen, can you prove it was not, can you prove it was the shop owner who stole it, the police will have no interest in finding it, put it down to experience and don't rent again!! My opinion!

• Like 1

Thank you all for the advice so far.

I have heard this stuff about the passport before, that it's illegal for them to be holding my passport. However, if my bike was truly stolen and the shop owner is doing nothing wrong, I don't want to screw him over and force him to give me my passport with no compensation. It's good to know there is that option, though, and I suppose I could voluntarily compensate him if i thought I should. I'm not totally sure that he's scamming me... What does it sound like to you?

As far as going to the police, what can I report? The stolen bike? A sketchy shop owner?

However, if my bike was truly stolen and the shop owner is doing nothing wrong

If he was doing nothing wrong he wouldn't be holding your passport for a start, and in my opinion he would have reported it to the police

• Like 1

Don't you have a rental contract you can show the police?

I long time ago stopped giving anybody my passport when renting anything, they can have a copy no problems.

Yes it all sounds very fishy, and your "friend" owning the rental shop, well well.

Anywhere in the world where money is involved, friends or even family are sometimes suddenly not friends anymore.

Tell you rental shop "buddy" that you will contact your embassy and then the police and do exactly that if he don't back up.

A lost passport is not the end of the world and you off-course have some copies of it including you latest Thai visa, yes?

Yes, I think I'm going to have to report it to the police myself. I also don't know why he wouldn't have done that. Not sure what they'll be able to do for me, though.

Parking it where we did was probably not the best idea, although you see bikes parked at night all the time... it didn't seem terribly dangerous. And yes, if the bike really was stolen, I absolutely have responsibility in this, and would want to replace it. The question is whether this shop owner is trying to scam me or not.

My friend was not the bike shop owner... not sure where you got that idea. I have copies, etc., but I'd really rather just get my passport back. My visa is for a year, and required many a trip to immigration, city hall, etc. Don't want to have to replace it.

Maybe the shop owner is right and you can not report a bike as stolen because you are not the owner? Try it, then we know more.

The embassy will not be very interested in your "lost" passport. Better don't think they will help you getting it back. You may can get a new passport somehow. But thats a hassle for sure. And you will have to report what happens to your old passport. They will not accept that "a rental shop doesn't want give it back" i guess. Try it, then we know more.

This is thailand and the story may isn't so fishy as it sounds. It can be that the shop owner is trying some "special way" to get the bike back. And this sometimes works pretty well. Wait a little longer, then we know more.

But 30,000 Baht for a Wave with more than 60,000km on the clock is too much imo. Try to lower it.

Please give some feedback once the story is finished. Often people don't report how it ended. Thats not nice smile.png

Yes, I think I'm going to have to report it to the police myself. I also don't know why he wouldn't have done that. Not sure what they'll be able to do for me, though.

Parking it where we did was probably not the best idea, although you see bikes parked at night all the time... it didn't seem terribly dangerous. And yes, if the bike really was stolen, I absolutely have responsibility in this, and would want to replace it. The question is whether this shop owner is trying to scam me or not.

My friend was not the bike shop owner... not sure where you got that idea. I have copies, etc., but I'd really rather just get my passport back. My visa is for a year, and required many a trip to immigration, city hall, etc. Don't want to have to replace it.

You can not prove the bike has or has not been stolen, you can not prove the bike was stolen by the shop owner, what do you expect the police to do? The best you can hope for is that the police will negotiate a settlement fee for the lost bike, it was your choice to hand over your passport even though it is against the law for it to be held by anyone else, that is down to you, negotiate a settlement with the shop owner and walk away!!

• Like 1

Does he not have insurance against this eventuality ??

I think he is scamming you... Go to the police and report it, then offer him 10k as compensation. If he accepts 10k you know you have been scammed but at least you will get your passport back with the least hassle. I have a Wave with 60k on the clock and I bought it for 20k baht with 40k on the clock.

Never give your passport to a rental shop, but I guess you know that already..

Good luck and let us know the outcome..

Ask him for your passport back, if he says no, go to the police. Not to report the bike stolen but to tell them what has happened and that he has your passport illegally. Tell the guy you are going to do this first. As you say, the bike may have been stolen but it sounds dodgy to me. There are many bikes left on the street at night, why would thieves target a wave?

It really comes down to what you believe, if you think he is lying then don't pay him anything. You live here so you have time, get a new passport and don't go to his shop again. Yes it's hassle to get a new one but it's much cheaper than the alternative. If you feel responsible then negotiate a fee. I'd say that bike is worth 15000-20000B max. Does he know where you live? If so, it might be better to pay up. If he doesn't, then forget him.

If you rented a car or bike in your own country and it was stolen would you expect to pay for it? No would be the answer. So why pay here? I realise he has your passport, so that is your dilemma. So either get a new one or pay him.

• Like 2

I would tell him you want to go to the police station with him and make a report, if the bike was stolen this is the first thing he should do.

If you end up paying for the bike tell him you want the green registration book as it is no longer of any use to him if the bike has gone.

• Like 2

I would tell him you want to go to the police station with him and make a report, if the bike was stolen this is the first thing he should do.

If you end up paying for the bike tell him you want the green registration book as it is no longer of any use to him if the bike has gone.

It is quite obvious to anyone that the bike has gone and with it the green book, it is probably in issanmiddleofnowhereville enjoying a new life, all the suggestions so far are helpful but not realistic, it is impossible for the op to prove anything, the police will not be interested, just like the Jet Ski scams all that will happen is the op along with the police will haggle a final settlement for the lost bike, as for the passport the owner will destroy it and claim it was never given to him unless the op can prove otherwise, haggle, pay and walk away, yes it's a pain to conned but it happens here all the time, of course the bike could have really been stolen but how can you prove that either way!!

Ask him for your passport back, if he says no, go to the police. Not to report the bike stolen but to tell them what has happened and that he has your passport illegally. Tell the guy you are going to do this first. As you say, the bike may have been stolen but it sounds dodgy to me. There are many bikes left on the street at night, why would thieves target a wave?

It really comes down to what you believe, if you think he is lying then don't pay him anything. You live here so you have time, get a new passport and don't go to his shop again. Yes it's hassle to get a new one but it's much cheaper than the alternative. If you feel responsible then negotiate a fee. I'd say that bike is worth 15000-20000B max. Does he know where you live? If so, it might be better to pay up. If he doesn't, then forget him.

If you rented a car or bike in your own country and it was stolen would you expect to pay for it? No would be the answer. So why pay here? I realise he has your passport, so that is your dilemma. So either get a new one or pay him.

But we are in Thailand and AFAIK no bike rental has such insurances. No insurance company is interested in offering such service. The customer always has to pay for damage or lost. But usually there is a signed rental contract whith such statements.

Yes thanks for letting us know. It seems you paid a bit much for the damage, but even I would have paid that to resolve the situation.

Lesson learned to not ever rent a bike from that guy again. I'm sure there will be a few Chiang Mai members sending you PMs for details of where shop that is.

Your gut feeling is likely correct. They definitely made money off you, and that's a shame. I'm glad you told your story, and sorry for the money "stolen" from you. No question the whole thing is shady. Of course you should not have left the bike overnight, and you learned that lesson. They took advantage of you, and I'm sure next time you will be more careful. Good thing you didn't rent a jet ski......

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I'm sure it was a scam. They "found" that bike waaaay too quickly, in such a random place.... just in some field by a shack.... yeah, right. I still think I got my passport back relatively cheaply, I had nothing that could prove anything and the cops weren't going to bother about it too much....

It was an old Wave, not a Ducati. What do you think a "thief" would have done with such old crap. Guess it was taken by some neighbours kids to have a fun ride, take a few things and than throw it into the next ditch. All that stupid story for a 6000 Baht scam? Maybe, but my guess is not...

Yeah, I dunno what really happened. But everyone I've told about it seems convinced it was a scam. A lot of little details don't add up. I think the guy maybe got nervous when he realized I wasn't a tourist who was just going to pay up so I could get on my plane, and that I was gonna go to the police. Then he may have figured it was better to cut his losses and get what he could.

What would a thief have done with an old wave? Well, that's kind of the point, isn't it? You see old bikes on the street all the time, there's not much of a chance they're gonna get stolen cuz they're not worth much. But if the thief was actually the owner who was holding my passport and could get 30,000 baht out of me to replace the "missing" bike, then an old wave might indeed go missing.

I'm done with this whole thing now. Hope this story was useful to someone.

• Like 2