Best Gym In Chiang Mai

ricklev

Do you know what the hours of the gym are? If it's part of the hotel, does that mean it's 24 hours?

Are there any 24 hour gyms in Chiang mai in the Nimma area?

Thanks

24 hours? Only the gym you put in your spare room. Powerhouse is the only gym on Nimmanhamin, though Fitness Thailand isn't too far away, and the Hillside 4 gym is close, if you have very low standards. All of them close at 9 p.m.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you know what the hours of the gym are? If it's part of the hotel, does that mean it's 24 hours?

Are there any 24 hour gyms in Chiang mai in the Nimma area?

Thanks

24 hours? Only the gym you put in your spare room. Powerhouse is the only gym on Nimmanhamin, though Fitness Thailand isn't too far away, and the Hillside 4 gym is close, if you have very low standards. All of them close at 9 p.m.

I haven't been in Powerhouse since they moved to their new, smaller location. It used to be OK if all you were interested in were freeweights. But if that's all Mr Lamb is interested in he's better off at the previously mentioned gym in KSK for 50Baht a day.

I haven't been to the Hillside 4 gym in about a year, but that would be my first choice for the variety of machines. Mr Lamb should check them all out before deciding.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A friend and myself checked out both Fitness Thailand and Powerhouse gym today.

We were quoted yearly memberships at Fitness Thailand at 6000k, and 10,000k at Powerhouse (discount because two of us are joining at the same time).

Some of the quotes given recently here (ie: Fitness Thailand at 4500k baht) seem cheaper.

Guys, whats the general promotional rates the moment you are finding please?

Also, do you still rate Powerhouse above Fitness Thailand?

Thanks for opinions!

I'm looking for a nice gym in Chiang Mai. I used to work out at Fitness First in Bangkok which is an excellent gym. I've taken a look at California WOW the other day, it seems to be quite okay there, and already cheaper then what I payed for Fitness First.

I myself am mostly looking for good cardio machines, my GF is more into yoga classes and stuff. Would be nice if we could go to the same gym.

Haven't had time yet to check out any other gyms. Which would be good gyms to check out?

Staying near Chiang Mai Gate btw, so easily accessible from there would be a plus.

I'm looking for a nice gym in Chiang Mai. I used to work out at Fitness First in Bangkok which is an excellent gym. I've taken a look at California WOW the other day, it seems to be quite okay there, and already cheaper then what I payed for Fitness First.

I myself am mostly looking for good cardio machines, my GF is more into yoga classes and stuff. Would be nice if we could go to the same gym.

Haven't had time yet to check out any other gyms. Which would be good gyms to check out?

Staying near Chiang Mai Gate btw, so easily accessible from there would be a plus.

If you don't mind paying the price and going through all that traffic to get there, California Wow is probably the best gym in Chiang Mail.

Fitness Thailand is your closest serious gym. It's not nearly as nice or as expensive as California Wow. Lots of weight machines, adequate free weight equipment, many treadmills, and eight or ten cross trainers. The only stationary bikes are in the room where they have the organized bike workouts (I think it's called Spinning), so if you just want to use them at your own pace you'll have to work around the classes. Maintenance standards aren't high and some machines stay out-of-order for weeks, but there is so much equipment you can usually find what you want in working condition. I know they have yoga clases, usually with just a few students, but I don't know the schedule.

Another popular gym on soi 6 Nimmanhamin is Powerhouse. It is smaller and more expensive than Fitness Thailand, but it seems well run and well maintained. However the last time I checked, about a year ago, they only had five or six cardio machines.

About three years ago I cheerfully let my membership at the Hillside 4 gym expire. I was impressed by the number of cardio machines and didn't realize until after I joined that few of them worked. The staff's attitude was that if there was any machine with wheels going around and a display lighting up there was no need for maintenance. That may have changed, but I doubt it.

If you don't mind paying the price and going through all that traffic to get there, California Wow is probably the best gym in Chiang Mail.

Fitness Thailand is your closest serious gym. It's not nearly as nice or as expensive as California Wow. Lots of weight machines, adequate free weight equipment, many treadmills, and eight or ten cross trainers. The only stationary bikes are in the room where they have the organized bike workouts (I think it's called Spinning), so if you just want to use them at your own pace you'll have to work around the classes. Maintenance standards aren't high and some machines stay out-of-order for weeks, but there is so much equipment you can usually find what you want in working condition. I know they have yoga clases, usually with just a few students, but I don't know the schedule.

Another popular gym on soi 6 Nimmanhamin is Powerhouse. It is smaller and more expensive than Fitness Thailand, but it seems well run and well maintained. However the last time I checked, about a year ago, they only had five or six cardio machines.

About three years ago I cheerfully let my membership at the Hillside 4 gym expire. I was impressed by the number of cardio machines and didn't realize until after I joined that few of them worked. The staff's attitude was that if there was any machine with wheels going around and a display lighting up there was no need for maintenance. That may have changed, but I doubt it.

Thnx for all the info. I definitely thought California WOW looked okay. For me it's a 5 minute drive on the motorbike. Prolly quicker to get there then to nimman aera. I don't mind paying a bit more for a decent gym as I plan to go there 5 times a week when in Chiang Mai. Might get a good deal if we join with two people. They offered us 1200 baht per person per month last time we were there. But I just wanted to check it out and did not feel like negotiating prices.

Is there any gym in Chiang Mai that has a sauna? I loved the sauna in Fitness First to relax after working out.

California Wow, quoted me 12,000 baht and then only 100 baht to renew the subsciption for next year, so effectively 6,050 baht per year.

That's a pretty good deal for whats on offer.

Are you sure this is correct. Or it just means you don't have to pay joining fee, admin fee etc. Can't believe they give you 1 year for 100 baht...

Thnx for all the info. I definitely thought California WOW looked okay. For me it's a 5 minute drive on the motorbike. Prolly quicker to get there then to nimman aera. I don't mind paying a bit more for a decent gym as I plan to go there 5 times a week when in Chiang Mai. Might get a good deal if we join with two people. They offered us 1200 baht per person per month last time we were there. But I just wanted to check it out and did not feel like negotiating prices.

Is there any gym in Chiang Mai that has a sauna? I loved the sauna in Fitness First to relax after working out.

Fitness Thailand has a sauna, but I've never tried it. I don't know about California Wow or Powerhouse.

Both Fitness Thailand and Powerhouse have a sauna (in the changing rooms). Fitness Thailand also has a steam room though.

You can get gym membership at Fitness Thailand for 5000baht atm. Powerhouse's promotional rate is double (for full gym membership..all opening hours, classes etc..off peak hours membership is cheaper). Well, thats the deals offered to my friend an I recently anyway

California Wow, quoted me 12,000 baht and then only 100 baht to renew the subsciption for next year, so effectively 6,050 baht per year.

Are you sure this is correct. Or it just means you don't have to pay joining fee, admin fee etc. Can't believe they give you 1 year for 100 baht...

With this promotion you can join the gym for a year at around 12,000 baht; then, you can renew your membership for 100 baht per year.

Remember that the initial joining fee can be bargained. I think I paid less than 10,000 baht for the first year (can't remember cause it was a couple years ago). I then paid 300 baht for the next three years, giving me a total of four years. I was told I could buy as many years in advance as I wanted to--like 1000 baht for 10 years--but you can renew at any time before your membership expires. Make sure you renew before the membership expires, or the offer is not valid.

Your mileage may vary, and the sales people obviously are using sales tactics, but this is how it worked for me.

With this promotion you can join the gym for a year at around 12,000 baht; then, you can renew your membership for 100 baht per year.

Remember that the initial joining fee can be bargained. I think I paid less than 10,000 baht for the first year (can't remember cause it was a couple years ago). I then paid 300 baht for the next three years, giving me a total of four years. I was told I could buy as many years in advance as I wanted to--like 1000 baht for 10 years--but you can renew at any time before your membership expires. Make sure you renew before the membership expires, or the offer is not valid.

Your mileage may vary, and the sales people obviously are using sales tactics, but this is how it worked for me.

The major problem that so many people have with California-WOW is that they have no real printed pricing information. They will charge whatever the market will bear. If they think they can hold you to 24000 for a lifetime* membership they will. If the next guy that comes in looks like he can't pay that .. he may get a deal for 5000 membership and 100 a year renewal.

Second hand information from a Thai friend suggests that at California-Wow in BKK on Silom Rd. that the pricing is clearly 2-tiered. He went in and negotiated a price for 2 people without stating the second person was farang and they would not honor the deal later. (again that is second-hand)

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently also looking for a new gym in Chiang Mai. Here are my findings so far:

Fitness Thailand:

I checked out Fitness Thailand a few days ago, promotional yearly membership is 5,000 Baht (down from 7,000). The place is OK, but a bit warm. After I asked the attendant, he switched on the main AC for the front half of the gym and closed several blinds that were letting in the hot westerly sun. Temperature was OK after about half an hour. Equipment is good, but only 3 bicycles in the main gym (plenty in the spinning room).

California WOW:

I got a quote today for 11,999 Baht Lifetime membership prepaid, second year only 100 Baht renewal. The gym looks fantastic, the best equipment I have seen in Chiang Mai and clean facilities. The music is a bit loud, but they will turn it down if you complain. AC very cool :) and treadmills even have 2 inbuilt fans.

IMO a lifetime membership is not a viable business model. Already having been a member of 2 gyms that closed down on me (one in BKK, one in CM, but luckily I got refund from both) I am careful with CAWOW.

I searched on Thaivisa and I don't like what I found out. See the Financial Report for the company here CAWOW . I also read the contract carefully and nowhere is lifetime membership mentioned. There is pre-paid membership for a year and a renewal for 100 Baht. But no mention of how many times you can renew. Even if only for 2 years, 11,999 Baht is good value. CAWOW has been making a net loss for the last 3 years, the most recent year's loss being more than double of the year before that. Read the News and F/S Highlights in particular.

I don't think I will join, because I am worried that this place will closed down also and I will yet again have to wait for a refund. Pity, because it is a nice looking gym.

Kawee Gym at Kad Suan Kaew:

I was a member here before. It is convenient to me, but the facilities and the equipment are less than great. No toilets or showers within the gym, the AC is OK, but the music is loud and very repetitive Thai style music that the gym attendants pick and choose. Can use the large swimming pool on rooftop for 50 Baht extra per visit.

Many students use the facility, but it is not too busy until 4-5pm.

Yearly membership currently is 4,999 Baht. I used (and may use again until I find the gym I like) their 10 visit coupon within 20 days for 350 Baht.

I will check out Powerhouse next...

use the old skool gym at chiangmai univeristy for free :)

actually i have visited all the gyms mentioned, but i still could not find a gym that have sandbag, punching bag in their facility...

anyone know? is it only available in those muay thai gyms on loykroh rd?

The fitness facilities at the Centara Duang Tawan hotel on Loi Kroh work well for me. Annual membership is 8500 baht or you can join for a month at 1000 baht -- great for people who are here just a few months a year. The machines are kept in good repair, the A/C is cool and there's no music -- just a few TVs tuned to Star Movies or sports with the sound down low.

There's a large, very large pool right outside the fitness area and often the scenery can be quite interesting since you look out the windows onto the pool as you use the treadmills. Some regulars have complained that the hotel guest tourists can make lap swimming difficult, but I've never had a problem. Most people around the pool are just interested in sunning themselves and not in getting wet.

The locker room (well at least the female locker room), has a steam room, sauna and large whirlpool. The towels are large and fluffy. Overall, the only place I've found that was better was the fitness center at the Chedi, but its annual membership was about three times the price of the the Centara.

The fitness facilities at the Centara Duang Tawan hotel on Loi Kroh work well for me. Annual membership is 8500 baht or you can join for a month at 1000 baht -- great for people who are here just a few months a year. The machines are kept in good repair, the A/C is cool and there's no music -- just a few TVs tuned to Star Movies or sports with the sound down low.

There's a large, very large pool right outside the fitness area and often the scenery can be quite interesting since you look out the windows onto the pool as you use the treadmills. Some regulars have complained that the hotel guest tourists can make lap swimming difficult, but I've never had a problem. Most people around the pool are just interested in sunning themselves and not in getting wet.

The locker room (well at least the female locker room), has a steam room, sauna and large whirlpool. The towels are large and fluffy. Overall, the only place I've found that was better was the fitness center at the Chedi, but its annual membership was about three times the price of the the Centara.

How big is it? Is there a large selection of weight machines, free weights, and weight lifting benches? How many treadmills, cross-trainers/elliptical exercise machines, and stationary bikes? Are they in good repair and generally available without a wait?

As you describe it, it sounds ideal, and I'd love to find a well-equipped gym with a pool, but every time I've checked out hotel gyms, including high-end hotel gyms, I've found them to be small and with cheap equipment.

How big is it? Is there a large selection of weight machines, free weights, and weight lifting benches? How many treadmills, cross-trainers/elliptical exercise machines, and stationary bikes? Are they in good repair and generally available without a wait?

As you describe it, it sounds ideal, and I'd love to find a well-equipped gym with a pool, but every time I've checked out hotel gyms, including high-end hotel gyms, I've found them to be small and with cheap equipment.

I'm interested as well as this place is in my side of the city. Is parking easy?

I'm interested as well as this place is in my side of the city. Is parking easy?

Parking available in the hotels multi story car park, but please don't come as some days it is already too busy and people are waiting around for machines etc :) .

OK, I'll take notes when I go tomorrow. I do know they have eight treadmills and I rarely have to wait for one. They seem to be the most popular cardio machines. Frankly, I don't pay attention to things like the brand names of the equipment. All I know is that their stuff seems to be pretty good. At one point in my life I used a corporate fitness center where everything was state-of-the-art and the equipment at the Centara seems nearly as good.

They may have waits for the weight machines at times, but I don't use them. I got spoiled at that corporate fitness center where they had a room full of smaller-sized weight machines suitable for women or elderly men. I've not found anything like that since and just gave up using weight machines because I find it troublesome to remove the heavy weights (or change the settings) of previous users. Instead I use the Centara's various benches and dumbells. I've never had to wait for a bench and the smaller weights are always available.

The Centura is getting way too crowded - IMHO - and a lot of old members are looking for another gym. Also, the swimming pool is L shaped and very shallow, so children staying at the hotel tend to play games and get in the way of anyone trying to swim laps.

I used to use the Centara. The equipment was fine, but I found the staff were not top notch. One filmed (from behind) another woman running with his mobile phone. She had no idea. The male staff liked to spend their time checking themselves out in the mirrors, and when I asked two different ladies who worked there for instruction on a particular machine, they both ignored me.

I'm at another (unnamed) gym. It's great! Great machines, great staff, lovely change rooms and pool. I never have to wait for machines!

The Centara uses cardio equipment from Stex -- sorry I didn't get the model numbers. There are 8 treadmills, 8 ellipiticals and 8 stationary bikes -- 4 recumbant and 4 regular. They are very well maintained. For example, a treadmill broke last week and yesterday they had two technicians in for repairs. They checked out, disassembled and cleaned all the other treadmills, too and some of the other equipment. There are 12 or 13 weight machines -- brand name Impulse. Another room has an excellent selection of weights and dumbells and about a dozen benches of various sorts for weight lifting. No rowing machines.

Few health clubs in Chiang Mai have a pool and the one at Centara is fine for lap swimming. Yes, it's dog-legged, but each leg of the dog is at least twice as long as the pool I used at our old condo. Plus, one leg is always in the sun and the other not, depending on the time of day. The entire pool is 1.2 meters deep. That's nearly 4 feet and ideal for lap swimming. The shallow water heats quickly in the sun, so you can swim year-round. You can stop and stand anywhere in the pool. It's too shallow for a diving board, so no kids doing cannonballs (like at my former condo pool). About the kids -- sometimes a few gather but they never are in both legs of the pools. If they're in the way, I just swim my laps in one leg instead of the entire pool. Oh, and they've put a big clock inside a window that's visible to swimmers. Handy for lap swimmers.

About crowding -- I go five or six days a week, for about four months so far. I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a treadmill and never had a wait for other equipment. I always go in the afternoon, usually late afternoon. Sometimes the locker room is a bit crowded, but I can always find a locker. They have permanent lockers available in another room for annual members who want to leave stuff on-site. That second locker room is very cool and hardly used. There is a charge of something like 1400 baht/year for a permanent locker.

The staff has always been very helpful and I've never observed any improper behaviour. Some of the hotel guests using the pool dress and behave in ways that Thais consider vulgar, but the staff remains respectful. Someone is always available when I need help with using a piece of equipment. They went to great efforts to locate my glasses when they disappeared from a poolside table while I was swimming.

So, if this sounds of interest, I'd suggest you visit during the time of day you're most likely to use the facility and talk with others about crowding, etc. You can join for a month as a trial before you invest in an entire year.

The Centara uses cardio equipment from Stex -- sorry I didn't get the model numbers. There are 8 treadmills, 8 ellipiticals and 8 stationary bikes -- 4 recumbant and 4 regular. They are very well maintained. For example, a treadmill broke last week and yesterday they had two technicians in for repairs. They checked out, disassembled and cleaned all the other treadmills, too and some of the other equipment. There are 12 or 13 weight machines -- brand name Impulse. Another room has an excellent selection of weights and dumbells and about a dozen benches of various sorts for weight lifting. No rowing machines.

Few health clubs in Chiang Mai have a pool and the one at Centara is fine for lap swimming. Yes, it's dog-legged, but each leg of the dog is at least twice as long as the pool I used at our old condo. Plus, one leg is always in the sun and the other not, depending on the time of day. The entire pool is 1.2 meters deep. That's nearly 4 feet and ideal for lap swimming. The shallow water heats quickly in the sun, so you can swim year-round. You can stop and stand anywhere in the pool. It's too shallow for a diving board, so no kids doing cannonballs (like at my former condo pool). About the kids -- sometimes a few gather but they never are in both legs of the pools. If they're in the way, I just swim my laps in one leg instead of the entire pool. Oh, and they've put a big clock inside a window that's visible to swimmers. Handy for lap swimmers.

About crowding -- I go five or six days a week, for about four months so far. I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a treadmill and never had a wait for other equipment. I always go in the afternoon, usually late afternoon. Sometimes the locker room is a bit crowded, but I can always find a locker. They have permanent lockers available in another room for annual members who want to leave stuff on-site. That second locker room is very cool and hardly used. There is a charge of something like 1400 baht/year for a permanent locker.

The staff has always been very helpful and I've never observed any improper behaviour. Some of the hotel guests using the pool dress and behave in ways that Thais consider vulgar, but the staff remains respectful. Someone is always available when I need help with using a piece of equipment. They went to great efforts to locate my glasses when they disappeared from a poolside table while I was swimming.

So, if this sounds of interest, I'd suggest you visit during the time of day you're most likely to use the facility and talk with others about crowding, etc. You can join for a month as a trial before you invest in an entire year.

Very complete answers to my questions, thank you. I'll stop by and see how it looks.

I used to use the Centara. The equipment was fine, but I found the staff were not top notch. One filmed (from behind) another woman running with his mobile phone. She had no idea. The male staff liked to spend their time checking themselves out in the mirrors, and when I asked two different ladies who worked there for instruction on a particular machine, they both ignored me.

I'm at another (unnamed) gym. It's great! Great machines, great staff, lovely change rooms and pool. I never have to wait for machines!

I too use to belong to the Centara. What became unbearable for me was the men's locker room. There's not one, but two saunas in the very small room where you change, and a steam room withing 10 feet past the lockers. So basically, it's so hot that you can enjoy a sauna while you are trying to dry off without entering one of the sauna rooms.

I would really like to know the 'unnamed' gym that you discovered. PM me if you would. PLEASE!

A friend and myself checked out both Fitness Thailand and Powerhouse gym today.

We were quoted yearly memberships at Fitness Thailand at 6000k, and 10,000k at Powerhouse (discount because two of us are joining at the same time).

Some of the quotes given recently here (ie: Fitness Thailand at 4500k baht) seem cheaper.

Guys, whats the general promotional rates the moment you are finding please?

Also, do you still rate Powerhouse above Fitness Thailand?

Thanks for opinions!

Hello K'Eeek. The trick with Fitness Thailand is to have someone who is a member bring you in. Then haggle regarding the price. I joined last year and they initially quoted 7,500. When I said my friend who was standing next to me quoted 5,500, they said ok. No argument. So if it's down to 4,500 (and I believe it) just tell them that's what you were quoted. I heard that the owner owns the building and membership does not appear to be growing. He walks around and turns off the steam room if no one is in it (I would surmise to save money). One downside is it is not kept clean - at all. But if you don't mind the grim, there is plenty of room (I've never seen it crowded) and the locker room is really large with two large ceiling fans.

Hi guys.

I'll be heading to Chiang Mai in June, but would like to know the name of the gym I'll be using for that 1 week.

I'm into heavy weights, so heavy dumbbells and plenty of barbells + plates are the biggest priority.

Do Chiang Mai have a hardcore Bodybuilding gym?

Cheers

Dan

Archived