Buying A Camera In Singapore

monitorlizard

I am in the market of buying a Sony TRV 19E (digital movie camera) and the prices here in Bangkok seem to average 22,000 baht. I don't need all the fancy stuff as it will be strictly used for family movies.

I have been searching the prices on the web and the prices are lower in the US and UK. I do know that the tax in Singapore is 5% but a lot of people tell me that even with the tax it is much cheaper to buy electronics downtown. Does anyone have this experience?

I am under the impression I can save 10,000 baht on the price and so I might take the family to Singapore for a short vacation. How long is the flight?

Thanks

I believe downtown is cheaper. Hoever, when you arrive walk around the shops

before going to immigration. (You arrive in the same hall from where you will depart) You will not be allowed to buy anything, as arriving pax, but can ask for the prices. At duty free shops they are selling free of GST.

Downtown, shop around, ask and compare prices and you have an idea already from airport duty free.

If you decide to buy downtown, ask for GST-forms for tourist, to get a refund of the tax when leaving. After check-in go to the tax-refund office, show boarding pass, passport, GST-form AND camera, get youur chop, 2 meters away, get your money (they charge some handling.

Godd buy (bye)

Sim Lim has a bit of a dodgy reputation, but as long as you shop around and then bargain you should get a good price.

One alternative is Funan Mall, although an IT mall, it does have a few camera shops in it as well - prices are much the same.

What the salesmen will always do is try to sell you up, in terms of the unit you want and then the accessories. Stick with what you want and you should get a good deal.

Have fun in Singapore, go to the night safari at Singapore Zoo, it's great for the kids.

Sim Lim or Funan for sure.

But do have a look in some of the neighbourhood shopping centres too, e.g. Tampines Mall, Northpoint in Yishun and jump the MRT to Bishan. Not only will you eventually find a cheap camera you will also have a great time.

First, check the price in a fixed price shop and the airport has plenty of them.

Once you know the price in the airport, you should get about 20-30% cheaper downtown Singapore.

Sim Lim Square is a good place but not exactly in the main tourist area.

If you stay on Orchard Road, Lucky Plaza is a good choice but please, again, know the model you wish to buy and the maximum price you whish to pay (as low as possible,...). Do not let them influence you. There are PLENTY of shops,...