Ceremony planned to thank evil spirits at Suvarnabhumi

webfact

The spirits referred to by the THAI staff are in no way 'evil' and the whole ceremony would be to thank the spirits not ward them off. I don't believe in ghosts and I don't believe any sane person who has given this matter enough thought would believe in this either, but by saying the spirits are evil in order to make it seem as if THAI is blaming the mishap on ghosts is yellow journalism at it's worst.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Standard practice in New Zealand to have the Maori bless every new plane purchased by Air New Zealand to scare away the evil spirits. And they ceremonially bless every building, including airports. They will also have exorcisms of public buildings if it is deemed the evil spirits are at work. All this is endorsed (and paid for) by the NZ government.

But the Maori have a better marketing agent than the Thais. The ceremonies are called Wairua and the spirits are called Kehua. The Kehua being ancestral spirits, and therefore the lifeblood of the "people".

They have many more other Maori names. There's a whole industry based around Maori cultural issues such as this, including the traditional Haka that is performed by the All Black rugby team prior to a game. Do we think the Haka is bizarre?

Ka mate Ka mate
It is death It is death

Ka ora Ka ora
It is life It is life
Ka mate Ka mate
It is death It is death

Ka ora Ka ora
It is life It is life

Tenei Te Tangata Puhuruhuru
This is the hairy man

Nana i tiki mai whakawhiti te ra
Who caused the sun to shine again for me

Upane Upane
Up the ladder Up the ladder

Upane Kaupane
Up to the top

Whiti te ra
The sun shines!

I suspect our understanding of the Thai beliefs is somewhat lost in translation. Ghosts and goblins are childish stuff, but ancestral spirits and a culture based around traditional beliefs centuries old....well that's something different. Maybe we need to look at the "blessing" of the airport in more traditional terms.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

Well, it seems a major merit-making, spirit-appeasing mambo jumbo ceremony conducted last Saturday hasn't had the desired effect for that "other" state-run transportation company, the SRT. Just yesterday, yet another train derailed, this time shortly before its arrival at Bangkok's Hua Lamphong station.

I have nothing against them conducting their superstitious ceremonies, but let them do so quietly and without much fanfare, because the world is just laughing about high-flying Thai executives living in la-la land and blaming their shortcomings on everything and all - including "vengeful spirits" - instead of their own shoddy management practices.

As if the childish paint job hadn't been enough bad publicity for Thai Airways, now the world also has been gracefully made aware not only that "a ghost in traditional costume" has helped "evacuate passengers from the aircraft" but also that Suvarnabhumi airport is "haunted by malevolent spirits". Not because it's true, but because the airline's president seems to be convinced it is so.

What is this hocus-pocus ceremony supposed to accomplish? Restoring confidence in Thai Airways' security, or is it all about soothing the guilty conscience of the airline's board and its president? Hope readers worldwide will not spill their morning coffee while rolling on the floor in laughter.

• Like 2

Some on here are not getting the point. Here we have the MD of a major airline blaming a mechanical failure on ghosts. That is the crucial point, I don't care what he believes but if he is not going to face up to the responsibility of running a well maintained fleet of aircraft with the lives of millions at risk and chooses to publicly point the finger at ghosts then he deserves to be criticised publicly and laughed at. The demonstrated incompetence is astounding.

Some on here are not reading the article in the OP, let me point out the important part for you,

The ceremony will thank the spirits for assisting with the successful operation to salvage the Thai Airways plane from the runway.

totster smile.png

Fair enough, you are correct. I was 'spilling over' from a previous article where this MD was blaming the nose wheel collapse on ghosts. The point being, are you really comfortable flying with an airline which is run by someone not intellegent enough to understand that it is not good PR to be publicly blaming or thanking ghosts for events which happen to his aritline?

I am only wondering how the world and medias will react to such childish attitude. I am also waiting for the Star Alliance official statement about this ghost and spirit nonsense. If Thai Airways think that will resolve technical problems then I will fly with more reliable airlines companies in the future. Security doesnt depends on okus pokus non sense. Posted Image  

Just because you don't believe, you shouldn't mock those that do.  Thai's have a high respect for spirits and ghosts and business and individuals make offerings to them everyday as part of their life.  This is a quite normal response from Thai people after accidents, bad luck etc.  Try and respect others beliefs, and if you can't do so don't say anything at all.

totster Posted Image

I believe in a properly monitored maintenance program, hopefully he'll be reitterating his committment to that as well and kill two birds with one stone.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Please read this several times to ensure you see who it is and what was alledgly said. If its true then this guy needs to transfer to PNG - Air Niugini where this is part of everyday life .

The managing director of Thai Aiways, Sorajak Kasemsuvan, has said that his company will conduct a major ceremony to appease the malevolent spirits said to be haunting Suvarnabhumi airport.

Forgot to mention PNG is fifty years behind the rest of the civilised world hope he Sorajak enjoys his new job. They fly on a wing and a prayer too.

This is said from senior director or someone who supposedly holds an intelligent high rank position......Good God Help us all ...these monkeys are beyond belief!! Are they for Real, my little son has more brains than this!!
  • Like 2

I am only wondering how the world and medias will react to such childish attitude. I am also waiting for the Star Alliance official statement about this ghost and spirit nonsense. If Thai Airways think that will resolve technical problems then I will fly with more reliable airlines companies in the future. Security doesnt depends on okus pokus non sense. coffee1.gif

Just because you don't believe, you shouldn't mock those that do. Thai's have a high respect for spirits and ghosts and business and individuals make offerings to them everyday as part of their life. This is a quite normal response from Thai people after accidents, bad luck etc. Try and respect others beliefs, and if you can't do so don't say anything at all.

totster bah.gif

Totster you make a valid point and when I lived in PNG many strange unexplainable things happened but please remember they the PNG people are 50 years behind civilisation and are not saying they should be on the UN council offering advice to places such as Syria, nor do they proport to be the "hub" of every new concept man comes up with.

So yes I respect your point but remember that old saying "horses for courses"

So what you are saying, is that persons from a country that don't live up to the standards you expect from them (i.e place importance in pleasing the spirits and ghosts as is in their culture) don't deserve to be on the UN council ?

yuk

totster :)

The MD has certainly used the stupidity to his own benefit.

How will the stock holders respond to this nonsense?

I would love to know what the Thai people are saying about this issue.

I think Thailand needs a proper investgative reporting team that can review facts, find facts and show the facts untainted. Im sure the Thai community would appreciate being told the truth every now and then. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I am only wondering how the world and medias will react to such childish attitude. I am also waiting for the Star Alliance official statement about this ghost and spirit nonsense. If Thai Airways think that will resolve technical problems then I will fly with more reliable airlines companies in the future. Security doesnt depends on okus pokus non sense. coffee1.gif

Just because you don't believe, you shouldn't mock those that do. Thai's have a high respect for spirits and ghosts and business and individuals make offerings to them everyday as part of their life. This is a quite normal response from Thai people after accidents, bad luck etc. Try and respect others beliefs, and if you can't do so don't say anything at all.

totster bah.gif

I dont make fun of your belief , I just make fun of a MD of an international airlines with such non sense. and I can return the compliment , if you dont like wheat I am writing then dont read it and no need to comment either. Otherwise you will have to comment on the 99% of the comments here .....

• Like 1

The MD has certainly used the stupidity to his own benefit.

How will the stock holders respond to this nonsense?

I would love to know what the Thai people are saying about this issue.

I think Thailand needs a proper investgative reporting team that can review facts, find facts and show the facts untainted. Im sure the Thai community would appreciate being told the truth every now and then. To any intelligent investor I think would pull out .This childish action is what one expects of preschool children ..not supposedly smart men in high responsible positions i think the,ve cooked their goose

totster bah.gif

I dont make fun of your belief , I just make fun of a MD of an international airlines with such non sense. and I can return the compliment , if you dont like wheat I am writing then dont read it and no need to comment either. Otherwise you will have to comment on the 99% of the comments here .....

Ahh - the "I'm superior" Western attitude. "Any different view must be nonsense - and how dare anyone post something that challenges my words of wisdom".

Guess what mate - you don't own this site, people have different views to you, and if you don't like them posting their views......... practice what you preach !

Many of the posters on this thread are letting their own incredulation get the better of them. The spirits and ghosts are factors (i.e bad luck), they are not quoted as the actual reason for the accident

While initial investigation pointed to a malfunctioned landing gear (the officials have not yet finished their inquiry), the Managing Director of Thai Aiways, Mr. Sorajak Kasemsuvan, is not taking chances. He said his company will conduct a major ceremony to appease the malevolent spirits said to be haunting the airport.

He is quoted as saying that the ceremony will also thank the said spirits for assisting with the successful operation to salvage the plane from the runway.

In addition, it was the largest newspaper in Thailand that was discussing the spirits involvement, proof indeed that it matters to the thai people, who are not laughing and calling people fools, just this bunch of disrespectful faralngs posting here.

Mr. Sorajak′s comment followed a series of coverage by Thai Rath, the best-selling newspaper in Thailand, which gave extensive attention to the supposed involvement of ghosts and spirits in the accident.

• Like 1

Please read this several times to ensure you see who it is and what was alledgly said. If its true then this guy needs to transfer to PNG - Air Niugini where this is part of everyday life .

The managing director of Thai Aiways, Sorajak Kasemsuvan, has said that his company will conduct a major ceremony to appease the malevolent spirits said to be haunting Suvarnabhumi airport.

Forgot to mention PNG is fifty years behind the rest of the civilised world hope he Sorajak enjoys his new job. They fly on a wing and a prayer too.

This is said from senior director or someone who supposedly holds an intelligent high rank position......Good God Help us all ...these monkeys are beyond belief!! Are they for Real, my little son has more brains than this!!

Hopefully then your son will grow up without feeling the need to rubbish other peoples believes and refer to them as animals.

• Like 1

totster bah.gif

Whether I believe or not is irrelevant. I respect this is an important part of Thai culture and I take time to learn about this rather than just call them childish

Eight shrines have been built around Suvarnabhumi to ward off evil spirits, such as a shrine dedicated to the Naga, reported Khaosod.

Obviously, they haven't been working very well, in warding off evil spirits at the airport.

Maybe it's time to get some new shrines..... or perhaps, a new airport. whistling.gif

Is this really how THAI Air wants to be portrayed as an international air carrier?

PS - I'm keeping my goats at home now, on a very short leash!!! Not taking any chances. w00t.gif

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I am only wondering how the world and medias will react to such childish attitude. I am also waiting for the Star Alliance official statement about this ghost and spirit nonsense. If Thai Airways think that will resolve technical problems then I will fly with more reliable airlines companies in the future. Security doesnt depends on okus pokus non sense. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Excellent points. The Thais should be ashamed of themselves for this kind of reaction to a serious accident and passengers. It's incumbent from Star Alliance management to detach from this kind of behavior from a Star Alliance partner.

• Like 1

Amazing how some people come from western societies that preach that a man walked on water, turned wine into water and came back to life after three days......Oh yes, let's not forget the Holy Ghost....... yet these same people rubbish Thai beliefs (or anyone else's that are different to their own). bah.gif

In more than one European country, I've seen people take a new car (for instance) to be blessed by the local priest.

So now tell me how European / Christian beliefs are so much better / more logical / less crazy than any others? coffee1.gif

Excellent post, thank you.

• Like 2

Amazing how some people come from western societies that preach that a man walked on water, turned wine into water and came back to life after three days......Oh yes, let's not forget the Holy Ghost....... yet these same people rubbish Thai beliefs (or anyone else's that are different to their own). bah.gif

In more than one European country, I've seen people take a new car (for instance) to be blessed by the local priest.

So now tell me how European / Christian beliefs are so much better / more logical / less crazy than any others? coffee1.gif

More people believe in God than in ghost. It's western stuff so it's always logical. clap2.gif

Actually, it doesn't matter what you believe as long as you still do what you need to do.

If you honestly asked a % of western people if they believed -re wine-walk on water, very few would say yes they believed. If you asked if they believed there was something OUT THERE somewhere most would think so, something to cling to for reassurance-hope.

BUT imagine BA-Lufthansa doing this NO because it is a NO NO.