Ceremony planned to thank evil spirits at Suvarnabhumi

webfact

...so for an International Airline keep the religions and spirits out of it.

Why? Because it offends your western views ?

totster smile.png

Nothing to do with 'western views' I was brought up to have an open mind on most matters, in the west, but not the god bless America, or church on Sundays in England. It does NOT 'offend me' at all, it all got sparked off with this CEO not able to run a once great airline, having an incident at Swampy and the antics that followed. Now spending no one knows how much money it will cost to have the SHOW, My take on this is do something like this when the dust has settled, BUT not put it on the global stage, the said guy should concentrate on getting the airline back on some sort of track.

• Like 1

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

totster smile.png

BUT not put it on the global stage, the said guy should concentrate on getting the airline back on some sort of track.

Why not put it on the global stage ? Should they be embarrassed about their culture and beliefs ?

Sooner or later you and the others in this thread will have to accept that things are done differently here, whether you or the rest of the world like it or not.

totster smile.png

totster smile.png

BUT not put it on the global stage, the said guy should concentrate on getting the airline back on some sort of track.

Why not put it on the global stage ? Should they be embarrassed about their culture and beliefs ?

Sooner or later you and the others in this thread will have to accept that things are done differently here, whether you or the rest of the world like it or not.

totster smile.png

Look I say this with a pleasant smile, been here 32 years, lived all over the country mixed with the poorest and the wealthiest but no Thai has pushed their religion on me and I don't them. So please do not try to advise me to accept something I already do, and it's not in my mind what the rest of the world do, or like. I'm not in the rest of the world, but business is a bit different when dealing with other feelings/religions. I think you do NOT go too far down that road, but keep your customs and traditions by all means, not rock the boat,as Thai is International not Thai only.

I do not think this will answer you -cause looking back at some posts you are OTT pro Thai, I keep myself a bit away from the supernatural style of things.

• Like 1

The MD has certainly used the stupidity to his own benefit.

How will the stock holders respond to this nonsense?

I would love to know what the Thai people are saying about this issue.

I think Thailand needs a proper investgative reporting team that can review facts, find facts and show the facts untainted. Im sure the Thai community would appreciate being told the truth every now and then. Posted Image

I am sorry to say this, but you are entirely wrong here. The incident, as I'm sure you know, has had extensive media coverage in Thailand, as have the relevant Ghost stories attached to it. The consensus? It was the ghosts' fault, but very fortunately a good ghost was also on hand to help the passengers disembark.

No joke - I've heard this very discussion in a number of restaurants, bars, supermarkets etc over the last few days.

Look I say this with a pleasant smile, been here 32 years, lived all over the country mixed with the poorest and the wealthiest but no Thai has pushed their religion on me and I don't them. So please do not try to advise me to accept something I already do, and it's not in my mind what the rest of the world do, or like. I'm not in the rest of the world, but business is a bit different when dealing with other feelings/religions. I think you do NOT go too far down that road, but keep your customs and traditions by all means, not rock the boat,as Thai is International not Thai only.

I do not think this will answer you -cause looking back at some posts you are OTT pro Thai, I keep myself a bit away from the supernatural style of things.

Trust me, I am not OTT pro Thai, I have issues like everyone else - I just can't believe the level of derision in this thread. Posters have used words like childish, immature, monkeys, fool, comical, idiots, stupid, just to name some, all because Thai people are following their cultural beliefs. Now I'm sorry if that makes me come across as OTT (don't know why i am apologising though), but I don't like it.

totster smile.png - (my pleasant smile)

Many of the posters on this thread are letting their own incredulation get the better of them. The spirits and ghosts are factors (i.e bad luck), they are not quoted as the actual reason for the accident

totster smile.png

So this article from a few days ago was only a dream then ?

Recent Transport Disasters Blamed On Spirits

BANGKOK: -- Supernatural powers are cited as the factors behind recent high-profile accidents in Thailand, namely the botched landing of a Thai Airways plane at Bangkok′s main airport earlier this week.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/667912-recent-transport-disasters-blamed-on-spirits/

fac·tor
/ˈfaktər/
Noun

A circumstance, fact, or influence that contributes to a result or outcome.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 2

Many of the posters on this thread are letting their own incredulation get the better of them. The spirits and ghosts are factors (i.e bad luck), they are not quoted as the actual reason for the accident

totster smile.png

So this article from a few days ago was only a dream then ?

Recent Transport Disasters Blamed On Spirits

BANGKOK: -- Supernatural powers are cited as the factors behind recent high-profile accidents in Thailand, namely the botched landing of a Thai Airways plane at Bangkok′s main airport earlier this week.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/667912-recent-transport-disasters-blamed-on-spirits/

Factors.

fac·tor

/ˈfaktər/

Noun

A circumstance, fact, or influence that contributes to a result or outcome.

totster smile.png

Edited by Totster

Trust me, I am not OTT pro Thai, I have issues like everyone else - I just can't believe the level of derision in this thread. Posters have used words like childish, immature, monkeys, fool, comical, idiots, stupid, just to name some, all because Thai people are following their cultural beliefs. Now I'm sorry if that makes me come across as OTT (don't know why i am apologising though), but I don't like it.

I like your post for starters, you are perfectly right to say about some posters comments, The way it has come across is not good from the CEO. Thai following THEIR cultural beliefs, fine. NOW business this is what has caused the stink, some customers of Thai could well be disturbed at all this, the CEO has to be aware of this, it isn't cause it's wrong-it is not. If I have a family mart in Thailand how do I run it, 7-11, KFC, they are in it to attract all comers but do not start to have pigs heads in spirit houses in the shop, you keep them beliefs for Thai and never forget them practice them. International people do not want to Know.

I do not think these beliefs are out of order no way, BUT there are times and places for everything.I am looking at all this as a customer of Thai, NOT Thai traditions/people.

• Like 2

Thanking evil spirits ? Seems like just a normal day in Thailand. People with this sort of mentality are at least 200 years behind, however in Thailand they can secure high profile positions, perhaps due to their reverence to the "evil spirits" The blind leading the blind.

I like your post for starters, you are perfectly right to say about some posters comments, The way it has come across is not good from the CEO. Thai following THEIR cultural beliefs, fine. NOW business this is what has caused the stink, some customers of Thai could well be disturbed at all this, the CEO has to be aware of this, it isn't cause it's wrong-it is not. If I have a family mart in Thailand how do I run it, 7-11, KFC, they are in it to attract all comers but do not start to have pigs heads in spirit houses in the shop, you keep them beliefs for Thai and never forget them practice them. International people do not want to Know.

I do not think these beliefs are out of order no way, BUT there are times and places for everything.I am looking at all this as a customer of Thai, NOT Thai traditions/people.

It's a fair point, although I still think it's no business of ours how they choose to show their belief and when. I checked quickly to see if any world media had picked it up, can't see anything (yet) which leads me to believe the rest of the world isn't really interested anyway, seems like it's just the farangs here that have a hang up with it.

Anyway, I'm done.. everyone has performed as expected and it's been a laugh !

totster :)

It's a fair point, although I still think it's no business of ours how they choose to show their belief and when. I checked quickly to see if any world media had picked it up, can't see anything (yet) which leads me to believe the rest of the world isn't really interested anyway, seems like it's just the farangs here that have a hang up with it.

totster smile.png

Wait until the international media get themselves up from rolling on the floor all laughing.

I agree that it has been a laugh, especially the OP.

Edited by jbrain

totster smile.png

It was picked up Internationally, in various countries-and the web. If the majority are not Thai customers then they will have no interest. Understandable as it will not affect their lives. Some Thai customers will frown if they do not understand so the fear is there.

It is not our business what Thai want to believe, as you say but the fear of the unknown could affect business.

Good to talk, I understand what you mean perfectly. Just as a customer it could be negative...keep smiling. ginjagthumbsup.gif

Amazing how some people come from western societies that preach that a man walked on water, turned wine into water and came back to life after three days......Oh yes, let's not forget the Holy Ghost....... yet these same people rubbish Thai beliefs (or anyone else's that are different to their own). bah.gif

In more than one European country, I've seen people take a new car (for instance) to be blessed by the local priest.

So now tell me how European / Christian beliefs are so much better / more logical / less crazy than any others? coffee1.gif

Everyone's entitled to their religious and quasi-religious beliefs, Thais and non-Thais alike, as matters of personal faith.

But relying on spirits and shrines as the basis for operating an international airline business is taking things to an entirely different level.

When was the last time you saw one of the western airlines performing an exorcism on one of their jets or airports? And what do you think most people, including Christians, would be saying about it if they did?

Excellent point!

Even in such obvious incompetent the Thai official will not face up to the reality

Which obvious incompetence are you referring to ? Has the official investigation been concluded and the cause known to be due to incompetence ? Please provide a link.

totster smile.png

Are you getting paid to do this?

Let me spell it out for you:

plane crashes- the crew to overpaint the logo is faster than any crew to secure and help the passengers.

Without any investigation, Thai Airways blames Star Alliance policy for the paint- job (LIE!) and already has an explanation for the accident at hand, blaming Airbus (LIE!).

They have major problems removing the plane, causing 80+ delays.

So we have lies, cover up's, blaming and shaming of other companies (try that in Thailand and see where it get's you) and on top of all that, they come up with the ghost and spirit explanation.

I think, one has to really go out of their way, to see anything remotely positive in that...but I guess, there is always an apologist, willing to try!

Good job!

You're right about most of this but it's just the managements actions. The investigation isn't finished as far as I know so we'll have to wait for a more technical answer. Thai Airways don't have a bad safety record so I think from an overall technical point of view and leaving this particular incident aside the technical staff seem OK. The rest is just management who are probably only there because of connections trying to avoid any blame being put on them.

So . . . who's flying with Thai Airways in the near future?

Well they have a reasonable safety record so I don't see any reason not to other than they seem to be very expensive. I've used them between BKK and Khon Kaen simply because there isn't an alternative. I don't know about international flights but on this route the planes are pretty new looking and other than the price I couldn't fault them.

I assume that this spirit business is just something the bosses come up with as they know enough about it to talk about it unlike the technical issues which they have no idea about. Those that have the responsibility for the technical side of flying and maintaining the aircraft are there because they are trained to do their job whereas the bosses are probably just have money and friends in influential positions.

If you ever hear Thai Airways quoting their customer service surveys to support their service I would ignore them. I tried to fill one in last year and I gave up as it was impossible to do. Although they must have known I had only flown domestically and that was confirmed in my answers they still asked how many Thai international flights I'd taken with the lowest available answer being one. They also insisted that I rate their in flight entertainment of which there isn't any on domestic flights. Unless of course you count the very nice flight attendants.

Basically there are two parts to Thai Airways, the air side part which seems OK and the land side part which isn't and comes up with all this spirit rubbish. They probably think this will go down well with Thais, which it might in some cases but internationally it will just paint Thailand as backward. There was talk a little while ago about taking action against anyone who does anything that damages the image of Thailand. This is a perfect place to start.

Thai Smile budget aircraft are newish, they use them on domestic routes, and smart --I do BASH Thai International for their service --aircraft--attitude and pricing. BUT their Smile budget airline are very good.

Actually the Bangkok to Khon Kaen route is Thai rather than Smile. Smile do domestic and international but presumably cheaper. I wish they would start doing the BKK KKC route so it would be cheaper. The only downside is if they used Don Mueang. It's OK if you're only flying domestically but I would normally be be flying in or out of Suvarnabhumi so I would need a taxi as well.

I wonder if they have ghosts and spirits on Smile as well or do you have to pay the higher Thai Airways prices for that?

Just checked and they seem to fly from Suvarnabhumi so the sooner Smile start flying to Khon Kaen the better.

Edited by kimamey

Well I am but this spirit ceremony has got me concerned. Unfortunately, I'm loyal to my frequent flyer status and although I'm also a member of Qantas, flying either Qantas or Emirates from Sydney doesn't get me beyond Bangkok - if I want to fly to Ho Chi Minh, Vientiane, Kunming etc. I have to fly THAI and it's cheaper to book a through ticket than to book individually, even if there's a deal going on it's still cheaper to purchase a through ticket routed say Sydney-Bangkok-Ho Chi Minh return.

No, your loyal to the money you save. So tell me, how much is your life worth...

Well they have a reasonable safety record so I don't see any reason not to other than they seem to be very expensive. I've used them between BKK and Khon Kaen simply because there isn't an alternative. I don't know about international flights but on this route the planes are pretty new looking and other than the price I couldn't fault them.

I assume that this spirit business is just something the bosses come up with as they know enough about it to talk about it unlike the technical issues which they have no idea about. Those that have the responsibility for the technical side of flying and maintaining the aircraft are there because they are trained to do their job whereas the bosses are probably just have money and friends in influential positions.

If you ever hear Thai Airways quoting their customer service surveys to support their service I would ignore them. I tried to fill one in last year and I gave up as it was impossible to do. Although they must have known I had only flown domestically and that was confirmed in my answers they still asked how many Thai international flights I'd taken with the lowest available answer being one. They also insisted that I rate their in flight entertainment of which there isn't any on domestic flights. Unless of course you count the very nice flight attendants.

Basically there are two parts to Thai Airways, the air side part which seems OK and the land side part which isn't and comes up with all this spirit rubbish. They probably think this will go down well with Thais, which it might in some cases but internationally it will just paint Thailand as backward. There was talk a little while ago about taking action against anyone who does anything that damages the image of Thailand. This is a perfect place to start.

Thai Smile budget aircraft are newish, they use them on domestic routes, and smart --I do BASH Thai International for their service --aircraft--attitude and pricing. BUT their Smile budget airline are very good.

Actually the Bangkok to Khon Kaen route is Thai rather than Smile. Smile do domestic and international but presumably cheaper. I wish they would start doing the BKK KKC route so it would be cheaper. The only downside is if they used Don Mueang. It's OK if you're only flying domestically but I would normally be be flying in or out of Suvarnabhumi so I would need a taxi as well.

I wonder if they have ghosts and spirits on Smile as well or do you have to pay the higher Thai Airways prices for that?

Just checked and they seem to fly from Suvarnabhumi so the sooner Smile start flying to Khon Kaen the better.

Because I used Thai smile budget from Udon to Swampy, I thought Thai would use Smile from KK. But as you say only TG.

I do know of many who are from KK drive up to Udon and park up and take this service to swampy.

I always used Air Asia until they switched to DM BKK.

• Like 1

I would bet my bottom dollar that people outside of Thailand would be giving this matter a lot less thought than some of the posters on this forum.

A staunch Catholic could hardly say too much, look at the many ceremonies they indulge in related to protecting certain forms of transport. The Easter blessing of the fleet comes to mind, where a guy who represents a God none of us have ever seen blesses a fishing fleet to protect the boats and crews from disaster.

Personally I could not care less if a crazy witchdoctor in a grass skirt did a jig around every Thai Airways plane just prior to take-off, I will still be flying with them because I like their planes, cabin crews, meals and general service.

So glad I am not a compulsive Thai basher. clap2.gif

I am only wondering how the world and medias will react to such childish attitude. I am also waiting for the Star Alliance official statement about this ghost and spirit nonsense. If Thai Airways think that will resolve technical problems then I will fly with more reliable airlines companies in the future. Security doesnt depends on okus pokus non sense. Posted Image

Just because you don't believe, you shouldn't mock those that do.  Thai's have a high respect for spirits and ghosts and business and individuals make offerings to them everyday as part of their life.  This is a quite normal response from Thai people after accidents, bad luck etc.  Try and respect others beliefs, and if you can't do so don't say anything at all.

totster Posted Image

Totster... a major WORLD WIDE COMPANY OFFICIAL said this crap. Not the village dim wit

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's a really nice opinion of Thai people you have there marcusd, you should feel very proud.

totster Posted Image

I say village idiot as many are ill educated ill informed...not savvy and idiot is a terminolgy of common slang.

You seem more educated than the avwrage thai villager. Unfortunately these people have a terrible corrupt government keeping them this way.

I may be mistaken. ..but I would think a suposedly emminent official of a major airline had more sense. I like and love Thai people... but idiot is a terminology mr toster.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Of course people are entitled to their beliefs. Some believe in ghosts, some believe their god created the world in six days and then had Sunday off and some believe that by killing non believers they will go to paradise.

That's fine. I just don't want them anywhere near a big heavy, aircraft that stays in the air thanks to science, not spirits.

"some believe that by killing non believers they will go to paradise." You forgot the 40 virgins and what ever you do don't fly with Air Asia I think being based in KL they may have a few people that believe some of what you mentioned,

Do you think this is God's Sunday?clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Of course people are entitled to their beliefs. Some believe in ghosts, some believe their god created the world in six days and then had Sunday off and some believe that by killing non believers they will go to paradise.

That's fine. I just don't want them anywhere near a big heavy, aircraft that stays in the air thanks to science, not spirits.

"some believe that by killing non believers they will go to paradise." You forgot the 40 virgins and what ever you do don't fly with Air Asia I think being based in KL they may have a few people that believe some of what you mentioned,

Do you think this is God's Sunday?clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

72 virgins. They are very specific about this...which makes me wonder....

Thais do it their way as does every other country have their customs - no less strange.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/christening-of-new-great-german-aircraft-in-presen/query/wildcard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_naming_and_launching

It's all the same !

If anything the Thais are more in touch and open about their belief - where as the Bottle on the A380 video seems a little too easy to break - almost as if it was rigged to ensure no bad luck would be bestowed with an unbroken bottle.

(Was that a wax one used in the movies?)

Yeah, makes you wonder where they get them all from? Mind you, I don't believe they actually specify the gender of the virgins. And thus another possible reason that there's no shortage of suicide bombers in that particular faith

Is this going off topic? - sorry - it's still about different cultures' particular beliefs, right?

Yeah, makes you wonder where they get them all from? Mind you, I don't believe they actually specify the gender of the virgins. And thus another possible reason that there's no shortage of suicide bombers in that particular faith

Is this going off topic? - sorry - it's still about different cultures' particular beliefs, right?

Nicely phrased and could well be 'Quote of the Year'.