Beautiful "Litter Fee" Jomtien Beach - NOT!

Gsxrnz

Went for a leisurely lunch at Jomtien beach today with my wife. It's never the most picturesque beach in the world but normally up around Soi Rimhaad it's a bit cleaner than the rest.

We were greeted by the gruesome sight of litter being washed up as far as the eye could see in both directions. Asked the umbrella vendor what happened, she didn't seem too concerned and said that the mess ran all the way along the beach, and that she'd heard there was a clean-up crew on the way.

Judging by the volume it would appear to not just the be the usual litter one has come to expect, so something dire has happened. I'd guess the whole lot (mainly plastic based) that I saw as I drove down Beach Road would fill a couple of 20T dump trucks easily.

About an hour later I saw the crew of about a dozen women having a crack at cleaning it up, but more was being swept ashore behind them as they worked their way from north to south. It seemed a bit of a fruitless exercise to me as it was only a half hearted attempt at best. I'd expect the mess to wash up again at the next high tide as there was plenty to be seen further from the beach.

This level of litter is extreme even for Jomtien/Pattaya, but seeing the crazy people actually swimming in it was bizarre.

I'd post pics of the swimmers, but knowing TV I suspect would it would draw attention away from the litter issue. Needless to say they were of Eastern European descent, wearing speedos and undersized (for the acreage) bikinis.

post-124914-0-40991600-1379402485_thumb.

post-124914-0-48076300-1379402505_thumb.

pretty sure it comes from the industrial parks up the rivers, most of the time it just goes out to sea but if the wind and tides are going in the right directions it washes up on the beaches, probably cant say it here but Nestles is a big dumper, at certain times Pattaya Beach is covered in plastic labels of Nestles products, I dont buy their water because of that, not suggesting it is the company itself, it could just be the company that they pay to remove their rubbish has found that its cheaper to dump it in the nearest river. its a shame, altho not a surprise, that the Thais are not interested in policing this. if you look on the travel review sites on the internet the biggest concern and main reason that tourists dont return to the region is that they dont enjoy swimming in rubbish

looks as if a trash barge has sunk or lost its cargo

I'm sure the guy with plastic bags around his belt will have cleaned it up in no time!

Any idea how far offshore the trash barges go to dump their loads?

I don't think they get rid of waste in the Gulf of Thailand, at least officially, because a gulf is the worst place for doing it, plus the Gulf of Thailand is shallow.

I think Thailand prefers landfills.

I think it's possible that sometimes the barges hauling waste back from koh samet, koh chang or koh samui lose cargo or simply sink.

I was on Cozy Beach about a month ago, there were Russians walking around with rubbish in their hands trying to find a rubbish bin. Due to the absence of any bins, they placed it in a pile that they kept adding to instead of leaving it around the deck chairs etc.

Thais are the biggest polluters of this country per capita by far. They have the theory, "out of site, out of mind".

\

Given all the bags in the picture that have printing on them, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out where the trash came from.

If they don't know already.

And if anybody really cares....

exactly,as I said, Nestles is a big contributor when the wind and tides conspire, its not like ships or island rubbish barges are going to have hundreds of plastic labellings all saying Nestles, this stuff is coming from factories and industrial sites

Around the world many upscale cruise ships have been caught dumping garbage at sea so wouldn't be surprised if that happened here recently.

Cruise ships, and for sure "upscale' ones don't dump rubbish anymore. I have until very recently worked in the industry and can assure you, there is a very elaborate garbage management plan on board.

Merchant ships??... Maybe some still do, relatively small amounts. (and on them, dumping plastic into the sea is strictly forbidden) see IMO "Marpol annex 5, '95"

Fishing boats?? For sure!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

its not just on the beach, also the roads leading down to Jomtien beach, the road next to soi welcome is just a disgrace, two years ago this was a beautiful road to walk down well kept flowers trees, now its just one big rubbish tip, what has gone wrong, tourist in the hotel in soi welcome have to look out on to this big dump sight, sad.png people moving into the NEW ATLANTIS across the road from this dumping ground also people living or on holiday in Ban Far Rimm Hadd resort have to walk down this disgracefull dumping groundsad.png , PLEASE PLEASE can someone clean this road up. Thailand is such a beautiful place to visit and live in. come on some one in authority do something about this BIG RUBBISH TIP

• Like 1

This looks like the same type of garbage that has been covering Ban Chang beaches for the last couple of months, these blue plastic bags, millions of them, someone must know where they are coming from?