46.5 mln Americans poor - census

webfact

46.5 mln Americans poor - census

The number of Americans in poverty rose slightly last year to 46.5 million, according to US Census data, despite a stock market recovery.

That edged up from 46.2 million Americans in 2011, meaning the national poverty rate remains unchanged at 15%.
It is the sixth year in a row that the rate failed to improve, despite the US being out of a recession since 2011.

The poverty threshold in 2012 was earning below $23,492 (£14,700) for a family of four.

Analysts point to changing employment patterns and tightening of the US safety net.

Many jobs added since the recession have been in the lower-paying services industry - including retail and restaurants.
Voice of Russia, BBC

Source: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2013_09_18/46-5-mln-Americans-poor-census-0319/

-- THE VOICE OF RUSSIA 2013-09-18

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

American poverty figure edges up to 46.5 million

The number of Americans in poverty rose slightly last year to 46.5 million, according to US Census data, despite a stock market recovery.

The figure edged up from 46.2 million in 2011, meaning the national poverty rate remains unchanged at 15%.

It is the sixth year in a row that the rate failed to improve, despite the US being out of recession since 2009.

The poverty threshold last year was income below $23,492 (£14,700) for a family of four.

Some analysts blame the lingering poverty on changing employment patterns and tightening of the social safety net.

Many jobs added since the recession have been in the lower-paying services industry, including retail and restaurants.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24139251

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-09-18

U.S. poverty rises despite economic recovery
WASHINGTON

(Reuters) - The number of U.S. residents living in poverty edged up to 46.5 million last year, the latest sign that an economic recovery marked by a stock market boom has not trickled down to ordinary Americans.

The figures from the Census Bureau on Tuesday highlighted the lingering scars from the 2007-2009 recession and added fresh fuel to debates over government austerity and widening income inequality. It could also renew calls to raise the minimum wage.

Although the number of people in poverty went up from 46.2 million in 2011, the national poverty rate was unchanged at 15 percent, the annual report said. The poverty threshold in 2012 was an income of $23,492 for a family of four.

"Today's data underscore that it is time for Congress to pivot from a focus on austerity to an agenda emphasizing jobs and shared economic growth," said Neera Tanden, president of the Center for American Progress, a liberal policy group in Washington.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/17/us-usa-economy-poverty-idUSBRE98G0PN20130917

-- REUTERS 2013-09-18

Actually they are better off they say a family who earns $30,00 a year. those under the provity level income get free food, housing, medical care, education assistance plus other govt handouts.

Exactly!! Why seek work or self-improvement when Uncle Sugar will pay you more to do nothing all day? Have another kid - guaranteed raise! (Just ask octomom.) One of those who pride yourself on your self-sufficiency and ability to provide for yourself & family? The DOA wants YOU! (to talk you into signing up for foodstamps anyway) Welfare-dependent families now in their 3rd generation. ...the proud result of our "War On Poverty". (a very peculiar sort of war whose success is measured by the number of prisoners taken and dollars spent)

• Like 2

U.S. poverty rises despite economic recovery

WASHINGTON

(Reuters) - The number of U.S. residents living in poverty edged up to 46.5 million last year, the latest sign that an economic recovery marked by a stock market boom has not trickled down to ordinary Americans.

The figures from the Census Bureau on Tuesday highlighted the lingering scars from the 2007-2009 recession and added fresh fuel to debates over government austerity and widening income inequality. It could also renew calls to raise the minimum wage.

Although the number of people in poverty went up from 46.2 million in 2011, the national poverty rate was unchanged at 15 percent, the annual report said. The poverty threshold in 2012 was an income of $23,492 for a family of four.

"Today's data underscore that it is time for Congress to pivot from a focus on austerity to an agenda emphasizing jobs and shared economic growth," said Neera Tanden, president of the Center for American Progress, a liberal policy group in Washington.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/17/us-usa-economy-poverty-idUSBRE98G0PN20130917

-- REUTERS 2013-09-18

Economic Recovery?

Lies!

Damn Lies!

Government Statistics!

What does a stock market recovery have to do with it?

Not much actually..., save the fact the market has produced more and more High Net Worth Individuals (HNWI) in the last 3-4 years so the gap continues to grow and the middle class continues to shrink.

Check out Forbes most recent Richest Americans report. Most of the same faces but a HIGH percentage of them capitalized on a down market. The age old model...., buy low - sell high. Well, Zuckerberg just got lucky when FB rebounded.

Very do-able if you got the cash to "buy low" first. biggrin.png

• Like 2

They need to fix the welfare system so it pays less than not working. They also need to cut out the credit cards as people just get in trouble with them, stop banks from loaning money on houses at or near a 100% of the purchase price, and stop giving money to other countries as the US cannot even take care of its self very well with the extremely large debt they have run up. I guess these are opinions but all true in my mind. With just about no manufacturing jobs left in the USA it beats me how they think they can survive long term in the real world.

Name one US bank that has drafted a mortgage loan at or near 100% of the home's value in the last 4 years to anyone. Credit card issues are down substantially. If you can't show a credit score of 720 or higher (in US), you get rejected. Manufacturing has moved to Asia. It's been happening for 30+ years Not even South America can compete now. But many US manufacturers are doing quite well...., they just took it "offshore".

• Like 1

They need to fix the welfare system so it pays less than not working.

That is only for families with children. Other than a small amount of food stamps, it is almost impossible for single unemployed people to get welfare, no matter how much they need it.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

They need to fix the welfare system so it pays less than not working.

That is only for families with children. Other than a small amount of food stamps, it is almost impossible for single unemployed people to get welfare, no matter how much they need it.

In many states, welfare benefits are only for a single parent with children. If it is a two parent family, then often welfare is not available. States can opt for certain program which will see their dollars matched by the federal government. Single unemployed people would generally only qualify for General Assistance and very, very few counties pay General Assistance which is almost entirely funded by local tax revenues (with a few exceptions).

There are also problems with residency requirements. That was the problem with single mothers living in their car with their kids. They did not qualify for welfare because they didn't have an address and therefore could not establish residency for benefits.

23,492 dollars for a family of 4? What a joke. It is hard for one person to live on that. The actual figure for poverty stricken people is much much higher, I am sure. Remember, taxes are still taken out of that money: payroll tax, ss tax, gasoline tax, state tax, sales tax, etc etc etc.

• Like 1

.........nonetheless......they haven't adopted a 'rip off all tourists and foreigners in every way you can' attitude.....nor....'double pricing'.......

I can't comment on "All tourists and foreigners" since I've not met them "All", nor personally observed attitude nor double pricing of "All". Perhaps I have missed a research report by some university or advocacy group that can support this hypothesis concerning the elusive "All and every way" factor.

• Like 1

They need to fix the welfare system so it pays less than not working. They also need to cut out the credit cards as people just get in trouble with them, stop banks from loaning money on houses at or near a 100% of the purchase price, and stop giving money to other countries as the US cannot even take care of its self very well with the extremely large debt they have run up. I guess these are opinions but all true in my mind. With just about no manufacturing jobs left in the USA it beats me how they think they can survive long term in the real world.

Name one US bank that has drafted a mortgage loan at or near 100% of the home's value in the last 4 years to anyone. Credit card issues are down substantially. If you can't show a credit score of 720 or higher (in US), you get rejected. Manufacturing has moved to Asia. It's been happening for 30+ years Not even South America can compete now. But many US manufacturers are doing quite well...., they just took it "offshore".

Here's one, well, not 100% but you said "near" this one allows the purchaser to put down 1%, thus it's 99%.

http://www.nhhfa.org/rental-housing-choice-vouchers-ownership.cfm

It really is strange in America these days and to me reminiscent of the Great Depression (1928-1931).

It's certainly not the same, but in some ways it is.

No bread/soup kitchen lines but we have 48 million on food stamps--A line with each person standing two feet apart would reach 4,550 miles. But nobody sees the throngs line up for food. If recipients of food stamps, welfare, fuel assistance, medicaid (medical for the poor), housing assistance, etc. were forced to line up each week to collect now that would be something to see. But it's all hidden.

"Since January 2009 the country has added a net total of 270,000 full-time jobs, but it has added 1.9 million part-time jobs, according to the House Ways and Means Committee." Washington Post

Unemployment figures are not so bad but when we look at the % of people who could be employed the numbers take an a Great Depression aspect. Remember, when an American runs out of unemployment benefits he/she is no longer counted as unemployed. Remember too, that when a person goes from a job that earned $40,000/year to a part time job that earns $12,000--that person too is no longer unemployed.

Education costs have risen so far beyond other costs that Americans are approaching one trillion dollars in debt for education loans. Why have education costs risen so much? I'm not sure, professors are not being paid more so I suspect it's bigger/better buildings/campus.

Yet all is not totally bleak. American earnings have stagnated so much that in real purchasing power American's earnings have dropped since the mid sixties. Chinese earnings however have risen and risen and risen. And already in some sectors America is once again becoming a manufacturing center--and with the various forms of gas coming on line (coal bed methane, tightly held gas, horizontal drilling, etc.) I predict that in ten years America will once again become a manufacturer, that is--unless our politicians and the banksters don't derail everything.

• Like 2

Ever been to USA? Yeah like everyone can easily go off welfare and walk into a $30000 per year job. Most of those on welfare would be lucky to get a full time job paying min. wage, which is about $16000 per year. Now the fact that most employers offering min wage don't hire workers for more than 30 hrs per week (so they don't have to provide benefits like health insurance to their workers) then you realize that welfare has nothing to do with the poverty level. There just simply is not enough jobs.

• Like 2

Actually they are better off they say a family who earns $30,00 a year. those under the provity level income get free food, housing, medical care, education assistance plus other govt handouts.

While your point may be true to a lesser extent in some cases, your are groosly exaggerating otherwise. I don't know of anyone getting "free" housing beyond homeless shelters. Education assistance? All elementary and high schools are free, although there are obviously other costs.

I forgot to add. Many people are not only lazy and users, but they have burned all of their bridges due to their own choices. Their family and friends won't take them in or help them "one more time."

Dang it, I can't count on both hands the number of people I could turn to if I was down and out, and they could turn to me. We've all been hard working and would help each other.

So if someone has nowhere to turn, it may be his fault.

• Like 1