Tropical depression is bringing heavy rain to Thailand

webfact

FORUM ADVISOR'S

Would it be time now to setup a flood watch site.

We now that the info provided here is better and more current than what we get from authorities

whistling.gif

From Lam Lukka. Water is about a foot from going over the sides n a few areas. As long as they leave thegates up north closed we are good but you know that will not happen

Khlong 5 has risen quite dramatically over the last few days. It's also still full of debris and flotsam that has not been cleared away since before Oct 2011, despite claims to the contrary by the local PAO

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hurrah!......... my very favourite Thai politician, Professor Plod, is back to brighten up our day as only he can! biggrin.png

Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi, who also heads the Water and Flood Management Commission (WFMC), reckoned the rainfall during the current period would determine whether the country would face floods or drought.

He's certainly covered all the bases with this ridiculous statement. Of course, that means whatever the outcome, his warning was spot on...!

Just the opposite. He is sticking his neck out by basing his prediction on a single event.

I had my house flooded for weeks in 2011 , since that , nothing has been done around my area beside all the promises .... yes I admit , government promises are typical . we still wonder , following the news , if we should bring upstairs again everything .... its like having a Damocles sword over the head all the time and its boring .

After two years, and knowing that the extremes of weather will only get worse, why are you still in your house?

Would not moving to a "safer" area be a sensible thing to do?

• Like 1

Right... here we go again then. Somewhat off-topic, but I'd like to ask, is there such a thing as a 'light downpour'? How can rain that is pouring down, be light? This is in reference to what the journo wrote: The Meteorological Department has forecast that downpours, some heavy... "

Symantic chaff.

I had my house flooded for weeks in 2011 , since that , nothing has been done around my area beside all the promises .... yes I admit , government promises are typical . we still wonder , following the news , if we should bring upstairs again everything .... its like having a Damocles sword over the head all the time and its boring .

After two years, and knowing that the extremes of weather will only get worse, why are you still in your house?

Would not moving to a "safer" area be a sensible thing to do?

Perhaps leaving a place that someone feels is their home is a bit more traumatic than just picking up and moving. wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif

• Like 1

Don't worry the government has a scapegoat lined up so that they will not lose "face".

And the scapegoat is

Big drum roll

Abhisit and the whole Democrat party for spotting that the government had not started with all the EIA assessments , not having any plans, no transparency and for taking the government to court thus halting the rollout.

Of course the government could have done it properly in the beginning but that isn't the government way.

• Like 1

Birma and Vietnam thank the Thai people to keep such a stupid nit-wits on such a positions, and doing what they did with the experiences of the floods in 1942, 1995 and 2011 ( close to nothing, only let a lot of taks payers'money disappear in some people's pockets).

This will help our both countries not only to take over Thai's position as leading rice exporter, but also of main tourist destination and production place for many foreign countries.

• Like 1

Birma and Vietnam thank the Thai people to keep such a stupid nit-wits on such a positions, and doing what they did with the experiences of the floods in 1942, 1995 and 2011 ( close to nothing, only let a lot of taks payers'money disappear in some people's pockets).

This will help our both countries not only to take over Thai's position as leading rice exporter, but also of main tourist destination and production place for many foreign countries.

They don't think so, they know so.

Hi to all,

The news is interesting but as usual on the forum the coments are... boring.

If you live there and just have negative thinking about Thailand, you can stay in your own country.

I'm not thai, i lived there for a while and in my country there is some problems too about flood, even if it's a "rich" country.

Thailand is not perfect country but i'm bored to read customers always say negative about this country, is your country so perfect ?

Mine is not at all, i prefer to live in Thailand, with good and bad sides of this country and foreigners who think they are better than Thai people make me bored.

• Like 1

yes and don´t forget to sell half liter bottles od floodng water at aürports to tourist as a souvenir biggrin.png this will helps a lot to decrease the amount of water,

80% under sea level means the water coming from the sea now to bangkok? may be I missed something when i attend school

He said boats were now positioned at strategic locations along the Lad Phrao Canal, as their engine propellers could be used to facilitate the flow of water into the sea.

Once again words fail me.

The should give each of the MPs in the effected provinces 100K baht as part of their "Merit Making" budgets in order to coax the various higher entities to spare their provinces from floods. The MP can spend the Merit Making budget at their own discretion.

UPDATE:
11 northeastern and eastern provinces braced for new wave of heavy rains

BANGKOK, 19 September 2013 (NNT) - The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation is preparing a series of measures to cope with heavy downpours and flooding in many parts of the country.

The department is closely monitoring the situation in low-lying, riverside and other flood-prone areas in a number of provinces after days of heavy rains overflowed rivers and flooded communities in Ayutthaya, Tak, Phetchabun and Prachin Buri. Flat-bottom boats and water pumps are being stocked in case the flooding worsens.

The Meteorological Department reported that a depression which has made a landfall in Vietnam is bringing torrential rains to 11 provinces in the Northeast and East including Nakhon Ratchasima, Roi-Et, Rayong and Trat during the next two days.

Before entering the debate of the 2-trillion-baht loan bill on Thursday, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has instructed Deputy Prime Minister Poldprasop Suraswadi and other related agencies to initiate measures to cope with heavy rainfalls and to minimize the impact on Bangkok.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-19 footer_n.gif

Odd they don't listen to meteorolgists or just look at the satelite

'"The coming depression is the first storm to affect Thailand this year," he said.

He is entirely wrong as any check of recent reports would reveal.

It is sunny here today in the North but we had storms last month.

Would you interview a monkey if you wanted advice on running a railway?

Edited by RubbaJohnny

nice to know that it's about north eastern provinces but from the 11 they warn , they mention only the name of 4

there is a good bit of rain around Mukdahan province and today also a nasty wind ,

and it looks it is not the last of the rain

the village nearby is starting to prepare for wet feet

no pumps no flatbottomboats, just deal with it , same as with every heavy rain season for i do not know how long but the villagers do not mind

Odd they don't listen to meteorolgists or just look at the satelite

'"The coming depression is the first storm to affect Thailand this year," he said.

He is entirely wrong as any check of recent reports would reveal.

It is sunny here today in the North but we had storms last month.

Would you interview a monkey if you wanted advice on running a railway?

Errr I thought they had already done that ...................

• Like 1

Oh now im wondering what will happen here over the next few days??

Its funny how this works.

People were asking exactly the same thing a few years ago, and the problem lasted 5 months. Reality is it doesn't make much difference if you are flooded for a day or a week or a month. The damage to property is largely the same.

I would plan for localised flooding north of Bangkok in the next month or so, and if you live there, then look at Yinglucks diary, and if she starts travelling even more, and they start interviewing Plodprasop every day, go and buy a boat, or make a downpayment on a condo in Pattaya for 3 months, starting in November.

• Like 1

Here in Surin, Umphur Sangkha area we have had some 20 hours of heavy rain, driving back from Buachet there was minor flooding near Bahn Sa Nob and Bahn Dom. However the fun began upon reaching the junction to get to Sangkha town.

At the traffic lights by the police post, water about half a metre deep and about a quarter of a metre deep as one left the crossroad and drove into Sangkha,

Returning from Sangkha via a back road from Sangkha school to get to our village the side road was flooded and a couple of fallen trees made it a much more interesting trip too. Village not too bad as we are on a bit higher ground.

Still raining stair rods now, reckon getting the sprogs to school and me to work tomorrow could be an interesting drive or surfing trip. Well at least the Isuzu Hilander sits high above the highway so hopefully all will be well the morrow

Edited by siampolee

Here in Surin, Umphur Sangkha area we have had some 20 hours of heavy rain, driving back from Buachet there was minor flooding near Bahn Sa Nob and Bahn Dom. However the fun began upon reaching the junction to get to Sangkha town.

At the traffic lights by the police post, water about half a metre deep and about a quarter of a metre deep as one left the crossroad and drove into Sangkha,

Returning from Sangkha via a back road from Sangkha school to get to our village the side road was flooded and a couple of fallen trees made it a much more interesting trip too. Village not too bad as we are on a bit higher ground.

Still raining stair rods now, reckon getting the sprogs to school and me to work tomorrow could be an interesting drive or surfing trip. Well at least the Isuzu Hilander sits high above the highway so hopefully all will be well the morrow

Do you have a Ban Sa Nob Rd Sign ? I think on E-bay it should cover flood damage