Thai editorial: Protect the goose that lays the golden egg

webfact

EDITORIAL
PROTECT the goose that lays the golden egg

BANGKOK: -- Millions of people consider Thailand a tourist paradise. The number of foreign tourists coming to Thailand has been on a constant increase --- 19.2 million in 2011, 22.3 million last year and 17.4 million in the first eight months of this year.

Almost Bt1 trillion in tourist revenue is now earned every year, and tourism is among the Kingdom's highest-earning sectors.

However, tourist safety has become a big concern for the governments of countries whose nationals form a sizeable share of the visitors to Thailand, including China and member-nations of the European Union.

There has been a string of recent cases of theft and violence against tourists, in addition to drowning deaths off beaches and deaths in road and boat accidents. In July two American men were killed in separate disputes with local people. One was stabbed to death by a taxi driver in Bangkok, the other by three musicians in Phuket when he would not stop singing. In August two Chinese men died and three others were injured when their speedboat struck an anchored vessel in Pattaya.

Lack of security and safety measures have been blamed for numerous tragic deaths of foreign tourists. Many of these incidents and accidents could have been avoided through the simple enforcement of existing rules and regulations.

Many operators of tourist-related businesses ignore safety precautions. People can rent snorkel equipment and boats without having to show any competence at all. Vehicles and boats are loaded far beyond their capacity with tourists.

The authorities appear to be aware of Thailand's worsening record

on tourist safety. Tourism and Sports Minister Somsak Pureesrisak said safety was the top priority in regaining traveller confidence following the spate of high-profile cases of violent crime against tourists. "Tourist safety is now on the national agenda, in particular a crackdown on mafia gangs in Phuket and Pattaya. Gangsters are now involved in enterprises that directly affect tourists, such as jet-skis and taxis," he said.

Provincial courts in many key tourist destinations have set up Tourist Protection Sections to fast-track such cases. The one in Pattaya has resolved its first case, demanding compensation for the families of the Chinese tourists killed in the speedboat accident. There are other such courts in Phuket, Samui, Chiang Mai, Krabi and Bangkok. Wirat Chinwinigkul, secretary-general of the Office of the Judiciary, said the tourist court has received "great feedback".

The tourist court can help make foreign visitors feel assured that their problems will be taken care of by the justice system without delay. However, it would be better to first ensure that laws, rules, regulations and safety precautions are enforced in order to prevent problems from happening in the first place.

A lot of the problems in tourist safety boil down to the Thai authorities' lax law enforcement - or none at all in some cases. Tourist-related businesses should be given incentives to require proof of insurance or competence when tourists rent vehicles or potentially dangerous equipment. This might help curb the accident and death rates. There should also be greater oversight over the maintenance of buses and trains and the work-shifts of bus- and boat-drivers in order to avoid accidents.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-19

I got to say, I don't regard Thailand as particularly dangerous. The occasional story gets into the media, because it is a story: "Gang of Thai Lady Boys Beats up Retired Couple from Poland"that is a media gold mine. Physical violence is a rarity, certainly where foreigners are concerned, and I would suspect, in a few of these cases the blame can be difficult to assign. Even the 'mafia' are a little over rated.

If I were to suggest where one's concerns should be directed (and I am), then road safetyfix the roads, and trains (ummm).

• Like 1

The problem is that following safety regulations costs money. So that would mean that there would be less profits which is unacceptable to the business owners or higher prices which would scare off tourists.

Personally I would prefer to pay a bit more and feel safe, but then again many people might go to neighboring countries.

The problem is that following safety regulations costs money. So that would mean that there would be less profits which is unacceptable to the business owners or higher prices which would scare off tourists.

Personally I would prefer to pay a bit more and feel safe, but then again many people might go to neighboring countries.

They have done their risk management assessment and as there are no penalties for non-compliance with safeth regulations then its cost effective to ignore them. Sound business sense.

• Like 2

This editorial continues to discuss "courts" for fast tracking cases. The establishment of courts has nothing to with with enforcing laws and regulations as a "preventive" measure. Such things as poisoning with chemicals in hotel rooms, falling off balconies, and fires in night clubs and other public places as a few examples of where laws and regulations need to be enforced and bribes need to be eliminated.

Thais should put the fast track on some Thai crimes with impunity that we constantly read about but nothing ever gets done. Thais know that nothing ever gets done if the proper payoff is made. The newspaper should not be smoking over the real issue and extolling the virtues of fast track courts. It knows better that fast track courts have nothing to do with crime prevention.

• Like 2

The problem Thailand has is that it is very difficult for any country to maintain the facade of a tourist paradise when corruption is endemic. The fact they have managed it for so long is.... what's the word...... amazing.

Without a radical shake up there is no way our beloved kingdom will ever be more attractive to high end tourists who have the choice of plenty of superior locations to spend their time and money. The way the country's image is going they are more likely to lose their custom than win it.

"The problem Thailand has is that it is very difficult for any country to maintain the facade of a tourist paradise when corruption is endemic.

Oh I don't know. Italy, Greece, Egypt, Mexico, Washington DC, Brazil, India, China, South Africa ... have all been pulling in the tourists for a long time while propping up some pretty flimsy facades and sporting some pretty scary safety issues.

I seriously doubt if most high end tourists spend sleepless nights worried about alleged corruption in their holiday destinations, although it certainly gives the sanctimonious unwashed masses something to kvetch about. In fact, many truly high end tourists probably feel quite happy to be anywhere that corruption allegations are aimed at someone other than themselves.

Cartoon+-+Egypt+Tourism.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

The tourist court can help make foreign visitors feel assured that their problems will be taken care of by the justice system without delay. However, it would be better to first ensure that laws, rules, regulations and safety precautions are enforced in order to prevent problems from happening in the first place.

That statement is pure common sense...unfortunately lacking around these parts whistling.gif

common-sense3.jpg

I am an English teacher. In a recent class, the subject of Phuket came up. I told my students that I would never go there again due to the high rate of crime against tourists there. I asked them if they were aware of the crime there. I was shocked to learn that they had all heard that it was FOREIGN gangs of criminals operating there. Not a single Thai criminal on the island. Apparently this is what they learn from the Thai media - that Phuket is overrun by foreign criminals. Like foreign tuk tuk and taxi drivers; foreign jet ski operators; etc., I guess. How can the problem be solved if they won't even acknowledge it?

• Like 2

Meanwhile, TAT keeps showing photoshopped photos of perfection in their promo material.

No warning booklets given out free to in-coming tourists at airports and hotels.

Well, that's what TAT does as a job description. They're there to entice people to come to Thailand, not scare them off so it's hardly fair to blame them.

The OP had it right - there is already an organisation in place to sort the problem out - unfortunately in places like Phuket and Pattaya they are also part of the problem, so there's no incentive. And then there are the Mayors.

Meanwhile, TAT keeps showing photoshopped photos of perfection in their promo material.

No warning booklets given out free to in-coming tourists at airports and hotels.

Like Scottish beaches been added in promo material like they are in Thailand !

regards Worgeordie

given the huge numbers of tourists,the rate of issues involving tourists is very small...im surprised that the western type of crime such as carjackings and home invasions hasnt arrived...YET.......

How many tourist drive to Phuket or set up homes while they are here? All crimes against tourist are geared towards obtaining or reducing what they do bring, money and personal possession. The trouble with Thailand is that the authorities believe that fraud, rape and violent crimes against tourist are acceptable practices. However, the only time the Thai authorities act on these activities is when they are publicised and usually then they act against the vicitim or person who reported it. With the excuse that they are acting against the best interests of Thailand.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

given the huge numbers of tourists,the rate of issues involving tourists is very small...im surprised that the western type of crime such as carjackings and home invasions hasnt arrived...YET.......

How many tourist drive to Phuket or set up homes while they are here? All crimes against tourist are geared towards obtaining or reducing what they do bring, money and personal possession. The trouble with Thailand is that the authorities believe that fraud, rape and violent crimes against tourist are acceptable practices. However, the only time the Thai authorities act on these activities is when they are publicised and usually then they act against the vicitim or person who reported it. With the excuse that they are acting against the best interests of Thailand.

I would say that a few of your statements are very inaccurate and I would like to see some proof that rape and fraud against tourist is acceptable.

I got to say, I don't regard Thailand as particularly dangerous. The occasional story gets into the media, because it is a story: "Gang of Thai Lady Boys Beats up Retired Couple from Poland"that is a media gold mine. Physical violence is a rarity, certainly where foreigners are concerned, and I would suspect, in a few of these cases the blame can be difficult to assign. Even the 'mafia' are a little over rated. If I were to suggest where one's concerns should be directed (and I am), then road safetyfix the roads, and trains (ummm).

Agree with you 100 percent a few of the posters for what ever reason love to blame and shame beyond reason. Tourist have a responsibility as well and that is not to check their brain upon arrival. I see it everyday here in Chiang Mai the tourist who rent motorbikes wwho have never ridden one in their life but all of a sudden they are a motoGP rider. The number of tourist walking in the middle of the road is very interesting very good targets for the bad Thai drivers but the Thais slow down and wait until they get out of the way.

The apartment I stay at is owned by a Dr. and if you report to the staff that you are ill he will come to your room to check on youand get you antibiotics if needed and if necessary the staff will transport you to the hospital if necessary. So guys stop using the phrase all Thais do not care about the goose because I would bet more care about the people who come here than the ones who do not.

Interesting points....

"I see it everyday here in Chiang Mai the tourist who rent motorbikes wwho have never ridden one in their life but all of a sudden they are a motoGP rider."

As well as being inexperienced bike riders often they come from a country where they drive on the opposite side of the road or where the road rules are different or strickly adhered to. Sure they have a responsability to act within their skill level but you forget the person renting the bike has a responsability to abide by Thai laws and regulations as well as a duty of care to that renter.

Everwhere there are good people with a sense of apathy, empathy, and responsabily act in a decent manner towards guest in their country. They are well trained and experienced in tourism and act in a proffessional manner. Unfortunately tourists areas attract the sharks and cowboys who are ready to cheat, beat, steal and con or cut corner and take the risky options to get the easy money and they are in numbers that swamp the good people.

"So guys stop using the phrase all Thais do not care about the goose because I would bet more care about the people who come here than the ones who do not."

We are saying that some Thais believe in a substainable and expanding tourist industry and they are standing by ready to provide support, that is they care about the goose, but far more are engaged in a mad if your face scaramble to get a piece of the egg, even if it means strangling the goose.

Perhaps if these good people would advocate for the tourist with their organisations and government representatives then change may occur but their continued silence is a form of acceptance

Edited by waza

if Thailand was so horrible, word of mouth on the internet would have shut down the tourist industry long ago...

in Chiang Mai you see intelligent well to do tourists having a great time.

I don't think anyone is saying Thailand is horrible but voicing concerns that to maintain it's status as a major tourist destination it needs to clean up it's act. There is a lot more competition out there than there used to be and they cannot afford to be complacent. Thai girls aren't the only Asians who know how to put on a bit of slap and smile. smile.png

I would agree that CM does attract a better class of person though, isn't that right chaps? thumbsup.gif

I would say that a few of your statements are very inaccurate and I would like to see some proof that rape and fraud against tourist is acceptable.

Gee, I guess you missed the one a few months back when a female tourist to Thailand went to dinner one night with a friend and Thai Tour guide. The friend left early and the woman was later abducted and raped by her Thai tour guide. She reported it to the police, and the response of some Gvt official was - "It wasn't rape because she had dinner with him earlier." And the Tour guide was never arrested. I would call that "acceptable" as hell.

Heres a reminder...

http://asiancorrespondent.com/91901/thai-officials-damage-control-in-foreign-tourist-rape-case-backfires/

http://youtu.be/GRErWjo809g

Edited by waza