Air Con smells - How to clean

Annonymous

Hello

The air-con in our room has a strong cigarette smell from previous tenant, and I've seen on youtube that you need a big bag and pressured water to clean an air-con unit properly:

and the Thai way:

Anyone knows where in Pattaya can I get this exact service and for how much?
If they don't have a pressured water compressor then I doubt of the effectiveness...

Thanks! Where can I buy this in Pattaya?

But I believe it's not as efficient as the pressured water jet showed in the videos above.

It says in the ad, at the Pattaya local Home Depot biggrin.png

i have used once those spray can's they sell at most supermarkets and hardware stores, which spay a foam on the evaporator. You let it penetrate for a few minutes, then spray water on it.

Worked well when I used it, from memory such a can was around 300 Baht, but for an extra 300 Baht someone will come to your place and clean the aircon thoroughly . smile.png

In the past I have had aircon "technicians" come and clean my aircon with a toothbrush, so makes sure you use a reputable company.

Numchai are always quite good, but English skills are somewhere between zero and grunting noises. ARC can be good, but are very hit and miss - they have sent third party technicians before that were clueless, and another crew that ruined two paintings where they dripped water onto them from above.

Pressure washing alone seems to do a good job, but as mentioned above spraying something into the aircon unit before you pressure wash seems to do a better job. I've never used the foam, but have seen "technicians" using a hand spray bottle full of a liquid as opposed to the foam into the evaporator before using the pressure washer.

I'd love to know what the liquid in these bottles is, it seems that getting people into pressure wash is quite easy, if there was a bottle of the liquid in the house it would make selecting a company allot easier.

Anybody know what the liquid is? I have a feeling it may be hydrogen peroxide, but not sure what strength?

It's the same product they use to clean ovens.

I paid 500baht to have my Aircon cleaned out in Bangkok (well my landlord paid).

Oh should I ask my landlord to pay for it? is it common practice? I've been renting this condo for almost a year now.

NUMCHAI on Sukhumvit offer in my opinion an excellent service.

Thanks, where is it exactly? Sukhumvit is a long road! Maybe a link to google map or a phone number perhaps? Thanks again!

Would you happen to know the brand and colour of the bottle?

I don't know the brandname, they are Chinese made and available at big C. This are the foam ones. It's simply a degreaser.

The stuff I've seen used is a liquid not a foam.

A degreaser can be liquid or foam, it just depends what you add to the product and at which pressure you apply it.

Think shaving foam, when the aerosol in the bottle is deflated it will come out as a liquid.

It's the base ingredient that does the degrease.Oven cleaner can also be purchased in foam or liquid version, but it has the same base ingredient.

Anybody know what the liquid is? I have a feeling it may be hydrogen peroxide, but not sure what strength?

I'd be very careful about using that for AC until checking the ingredients as oven cleaner liquid usual uses caustic soda (Sodium Hydroxide) and is dangerous to inhale and can damage rubber, some metals etc.

I'd be very careful about using that for AC until checking the ingredients as oven cleaner liquid usual uses caustic soda (Sodium Hydroxide) and is dangerous to inhale and can damage rubber, some metals etc.

Most have replaced the sodium hydroxide with potassium carbonate these days as it is safer.

See for directions:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Numchai-Home-Electronic-CoLtd/163337553712941?sk=info&rf=211530082207636

(Almost across from Pattaya Klang)

I paid 500baht to have my Aircon cleaned out in Bangkok (well my landlord paid).

Oh should I ask my landlord to pay for it? is it common practice? I've been renting this condo for almost a year now.

NUMCHAI on Sukhumvit offer in my opinion an excellent service.

Thanks, where is it exactly? Sukhumvit is a long road! Maybe a link to google map or a phone number perhaps? Thanks again!

While there will undoubtedly be some smoke residue in the A/C unit, you might find that you'll have more success eradicating the nicotine aroma by washing the walls and ceiling with sugar soap and having your curtains and soft furnishings laundered.

While there will undoubtedly be some smoke residue in the A/C unit, you might find that you'll have more success eradicating the nicotine aroma by washing the walls and ceiling with sugar soap and having your curtains and soft furnishings laundered.

I disagree with this, the room smells fine by itself, it's only when turning on the AC that the stink appears.

I disagree with this, the room smells fine by itself, it's only when turning on the AC that the stink appears.

OK, it was just a suggestion. As a smoker I've found it's the walls and furnishings that cause most smells. However, that was in a cold environment where outside fresh (cold) air wasn't as welcome inside as fresh air is here in Thailand. smile.png

NUMCHAI

They arrive as a team, (with tools!) they strip down most of the machine and wash outside in a solvent then blow dry the parts. The interior of the air con, they enclose in a plastic wrapper then spray with a solvent, then use a high pressure washer into a sealed bucket, then blow dry the air con, then test it etc.

All in all, compared to others they appear to do a great job, and leave the room clean and dry etc.

This is just a standard aircon cleaning.

So it seems that NUMCHAI is good ? Do they use degreaser and pressure ?

I real somewhere that pressure can be bad sometime if too powerful ?

• Like 1

NUMCHAI

They arrive as a team, (with tools!) they strip down most of the machine and wash outside in a solvent then blow dry the parts. The interior of the air con, they enclose in a plastic wrapper then spray with a solvent, then use a high pressure washer into a sealed bucket, then blow dry the air con, then test it etc.

All in all, compared to others they appear to do a great job, and leave the room clean and dry etc.

Cool, and how much they charge for that?

I've read somewhere that when the AC is on it is accumulating the humidity present in the room (condensation) into an internal recipient before being extracted outside via a pipe.

The problem is that water can remain in the recipient, which can be the origin of the bad smell. To avoid that, each time you turn off the AC, instead of turning it off, put it on Fan High Speed for 30 minutes while the window is open so the water in the recipient can evaporate.

You'll notice that some AC models have an "Auto Clean" feature, which is nothing but the exact same thing I just explained above: when you turn it off it will run on Fan mode for 30 minutes and then shut itself down.

There's also other things that can be done, like manually spraying a mix of white vinegar with water: about 50% vinegar for 50% water. Make sure it's white vinegar from alcohol (5% distilled) which can be found at any 7/11 for less than 15 bahts.

It will smell vinegar but if you leave the AC on Fan (max speed) and open the window for half an hour, the smell will completely go away!

I believe you could do the same with bleach, but consider vinegar as non-toxic non-dangerous non-poisonous and as efficient.

NUMCHAI

Never seen anyone so professional in Thailand !

How much ?

The best AC cleaner i have used is on Chaiyapreuk 2, 100yds on the right before the railway track very friendly and profeshional and CHEEP ( 400 baht per air )

Do they use pressured water?

I can't find it, here is a map can you locate it exactly? https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Chaiyapruek+2,+pattaya+chon-buri&hl=en&ll=12.881979,100.904105&spn=0.001634,0.002881&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=43.307813,94.394531&hnear=Chaiyaphruek+2,+Muang+Pattaya,+Chang+Wat+Chon+Buri+20150,+Thailand&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=12.882046,100.904278&panoid=6gq6RK3Y5uNheYDTIqaPeg&cbp=12,12.61,,0,2.02

Thanks a lot!