PM Yingluck pleads with lawmakers to approve Bt2.2 trillion loans bill

webfact

PM Yingluck pleads with lawmakers to approve Bt2.2 trillion loans bill
By English News

13795789674343.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 19 – Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra today reemphasised the need to borrow Bt2.2 trillion for Thailand’s infrastructure development, but insisted that her government will not dissolve Parliament if the bill is rejected.

The bill for Bt2.2 trillion in loans was slated for parliamentary debate for its second reading this morning.

She said the country’s infrastructure has lagged for several decades and the bill on Bt2.2 trillion loans is vital to stimulate investment and the economy.

“The government promises to maintain monetary and financial discipline, and the spending is within the framework of public debt requirement,” she said.

She said the government is willing to take the Opposition’s points of view into consideration and that the Opposition would be allowed to fully debate the bill.

“I’ll attend the parliamentary deliberations if I’m not engaged in other obligations,” she said. Ms Yingluck has been criticised for failing to attend most sessions of Parliament.

The prime minister said it would be unnecessary for the government to dissolve Parliament in case the bill was rejected by lawmakers since it was a bill to seek loans for development and investment.

Deputy Prime Minister/Finance Minister Kittirat Na-Ranong insisted that the bill to borrow Bt2.2 trillion was in accord with the law, and not a breach of the Constitution, explaining that the government has carefully studied the bill and discussed it with the Council of State.

“The bill is significant to the country’s development. Those seeking a review by the Constitution Court should thoroughly study the law and bear in mind the importance of the national interest,” he warned.

He said he would be willing to explain every detail of the bill to the House of Representatives. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-09-19

2.2 Trillion Baht?? for what?? let the people see the budgeting... Who the heck dreamed up this number...Does it include the 30% tea money or is that extra???

600 Billion Baht minimum in necessary managerial investigations to ensure the investment is made wisely.

Not bad for a day's work

• Like 1

2.2 Trillion Baht?? for what?? let the people see the budgeting... Who the heck dreamed up this number...Does it include the 30% tea money or is that extra???

30% tea money plus 40% big brother, not much left to do much good facepalm.gif better if we spend it all whistling.gif

We all need new cars and a few planes to get around the country giggle.gif

• Like 1

“I’ll attend the parliamentary deliberations if I’m not engaged in other obligations,”

And that sums up the idiot this country has as a PM. A 2.2 trillion loan and she'll attend IF Hermes doesn't bring in something new.

Was there even 1 person attending that meeting ....?? the whole place loks quite empty to me or do I need new glasses ....blink.png

Is she really there in one of the top seats .... can't see a bloody thing in that pic...???

Edited by annabel

30% tea money plus 40% big brother, not much left to do much good facepalm.gif better if we spend it all whistling.gif

We all need new cars and a few planes to get around the country giggle.gif

If my Thai wife is typical, money is spent when its there, no regard for it being needed for something else.

Ummm

10,000 baht in the bank, what shall I spend it on?

Next week, please can I have 5,000 baht for the rent, loan etc

Same here mate. My wife had a "budget" for some minor roof repairs, changes to the garden, block paving, additional fencing etc. Spent 3.5 times the agreed budget. Answer - well it needed doing, the builder suggested it, it looks nicer now! After an awkward conversation - she actually went and spent a bit more. Well it needed the finishing touches!

Every non-Thai I know has similar tales about their wives and money - regardless of where they come from in Thailand, background, education, upbringing etc.

They all have the same short term thinking and want to spend money quick before relative asks to "borrow" it.

• Like 2

30% tea money plus 40% big brother, not much left to do much good facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif better if we spend it all xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.Ta1j7I9wik.w

We all need new cars and a few planes to get around the country giggle.gif.pagespeed.ce.AcGRO3FsZu.gif

If my Thai wife is typical, money is spent when its there, no regard for it being needed for something else.

Ummm

Same here mate. My wife had a "budget" for some minor roof repairs, changes to the garden, block paving, additional fencing etc. Spent 3.5 times the agreed budget. Answer - well it needed doing, the builder suggested it, it looks nicer now! After an awkward conversation - she actually went and spent a bit more. Well it needed the finishing touches!

Every non-Thai I know has similar tales about their wives and money - regardless of where they come from in Thailand, background, education, upbringing etc.

They all have the same short term thinking and want to spend money quick before relative asks to "borrow" it.

my mates wife borrowed a large sum from UK banks to rebuild her folks home back in LOS before she buggered off with a Frenchman ,the banks are still chasing her for payment in France and not having much luck

30% tea money plus 40% big brother, not much left to do much good Posted Image better if we spend it all Posted Image

We all need new cars and a few planes to get around the country Posted Image

Ummm

I assume your term 'awkward conversation' covers an 'exchange of views'.

They won't listen, they're always right, it's their country (why did you come here?)

I sometimes wonder

“I’ll attend the parliamentary deliberations if I’m not engaged in other obligations,”

And that sums up the idiot this country has as a PM. A 2.2 trillion loan and she'll attend IF Hermes doesn't bring in something new.

Farcical isn't it ? This loan is supposedly absolutely necessary so the government can carry forward so many wonderful plans to improve the country yet the PM can only attend if she doesn;t have something else to do.

With her abysmal record of non-attendance in parliament and various committees that she actually chairs I can only assume " other obligations " means yet another overseas trip.

Will attend if I am not out spending my cut f the 2.2 trillion baht loan

This bill is necessary so ye PTP families and friends can be rich beyond there dreams forever and a day

Then if they win the next election ... they will want a 5 trillion bill

l

When they win the next election, there ought to be no 'checks and balances' left, so they won't have the tedium of justifying spending/loans etc. - just go out and do it

• Like 1

It is a countries obligation to improve on their infrastructure. I agree in principle that this bill needs to be passed, it is just unfortunate that it has happened to come necessary just as the country has entered a recession. Just based on observations, it is very possible that Thailand will be down in a third consecutive quarter, confirming the recession. In one way, it is tough to vote yes on this bill during this time, and on the other hand it could become a jobs bill to turn the economy back around. I say go ahead with it. This country has an obligation to improve their road and train systems to their citizens, and it takes money to do that. Do you want to become a Singapore, with improvement, or be a Myanmar? (No offense to Myanmar, just an example).