Importing used bike

travelskr

Hi all,

Apologize if this has already been addressed somewhere....from all I've seen online seems like last September the rules regarding bike imports changed and now it is no longer legal or possible. Has anyone tried to import a foreign used motorcycle since then? Looking for info to see if it's possible to import a MV Agusta from Italy in any way, shape or form. Has anyone sought legal counsel in Thailand? Seems impossible/difficult at best, but wanted to research the options before deciding against it. Thanks a million....

Because there is no financial incentive to bring it over, only nostalgia value can justify

bringing a bike here.

A friend checked with importing a victory hammer?, the bike cost $14k, but when imported to thailand after duty tax it was $31k.

Everyone i've read about bringing part of their household regret dearly they ever started when custom demanded their share, which was more than the worth of whatever was in the container

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 2

How much are you willing to pay in import tax ?

Why does this concern you? It does nothing to answer the OP's question. Just want to know his financial status?

Why then does his reply concern you?

It is a simple reply saying that the import tax will be high but the OP needs to figure out if he wants to pay perhaps twice as much again for a bike that he already owns.

That is of course without the price to get it through the emission regulations to make it street legal in Thailand.

Because there is no financial incentive to bring it over, only nostalgia value can justify

bringing a bike here.

A friend checked with importing a victory hammer?, the bike cost $14k, but when imported to thailand after duty tax it was $31k.

Everyone i've read about bringing part of their household regret dearly they ever started when custom demanded their share, which was more than the worth of whatever was in the container

A victory hammer can be bought here for app 37k$ or 1.15 mill baht so if that 31k$ is total price maybe worth doing.

http://www.victorymotorcyclesthailand.com/choose-bike.php

bringing a bike here.

A victory hammer can be bought here for app 37k$ or 1.15 mill baht so if that 31k$ is total price maybe worth doing.

I believe it's 31K + the initial 14K purchase price.

bringing a bike here.

Spot on!

First up, the Mafia Agent at the Australian Port jacked all his prices once the container was "on the water" , it was delayed in Singapore and again when it arrived in BKK (with us paying extra every day for Container Rental and Storage) then the Customs Agent in BKK (also suspected Mafia) told us there were TWO Prices for Customs Inspection. Both were extortionate but the one WITHOUT an Official Receipt was less.

They held us to ransom. Sure, I could complain to various authorities but given the time it would take, and the possibility of the Crooks having an "in" with at least some of the authorities, we simply surrendered and handed over heaps of money. Then of course we found that many of the things we had brought from Australia could be purchased here at reasonable prices (they weren't available here before we moved to Australia a few years earlier.)

In short....beware of bringing in anything by ship.

Are you still allowed to bring the bike in fully dismantled and not pay tax? Or have they knocked that on the head.

Last I heard was that parts have no duty. The issue is if all the parts are brought in at the same time. May need to have two shipments or more to avoid suspicion. Maybe even have the deliveries sent to different (family) names and (family) addresses. Just my two bahts worth. :-)

Are you still allowed to bring the bike in fully dismantled and not pay tax? Or have they knocked that on the head.

Last I heard was that parts have no duty. The issue is if all the parts are brought in at the same time. May need to have two shipments or more to avoid suspicion. Maybe even have the deliveries sent to different (family) names and (family) addresses. Just my two bahts worth. :-)

I purchased some parts for my SR400 and they incured import duty.

Oh! Forgot to mention, an Aussie Thai resident said it maybe be worthwhile shipping to and assembling in a neighbouring country, eg; Laos. Then ride it into Thailand. I am not sure of the legalities with duties after this 100%.

Why does this concern you? It does nothing to answer the OP's question. Just want to know his financial status?

It is very relevant as it will cost him about 300% more than the bike is worth. I looked into importing my 14 y/o BMW K110LT. The bike was worth about$7,000 but the fees I was going to have to pay to the Thai government was about $20,000. I did not take it any further (much as I liked my bike). Ended up selling it on ebay for $3,250!

I asked an agent last year about importing a 1973 Harley Sportster. The reply was ..Custom order or police order Blah Blah Blah can't be done. they suggested to sell the bike and buy an new one in Thailand. Not want I want to do. I'm a bit pissed off that the rule applies to every second hand bike, understandably, but you would think that a vintage bike would be considered differently. Not so it seems.

I know of one Norwegian who bought his Gold Wing in via KL. Got a ticket at the southern border with Thailand valid for 6mth entry. His idea to ride back to Norway. Unfortunately he found it impossible to ride across Laos and China, official guide needed etc. Ended up riding back to KL and shipping home. Bloody shame

Hi, I had an HD that I like very much and sold it because it's quite difficult to import a bike in Thailand, even if used. Taxes are quite heavy and transportation too. Better buy a bike here, that what I did. if you "love" your bike and don't care about money, OK try, but then you will have to get a green book and it's also difficult and take time. An HD green book costs about 90000 bath. I don't know for an italian one, depends of the cubes. Look for second hand bikes, there are quite plenty in very good conditions, with low mileage, particularly big bikes because thai people buy bikes, more to show, than to ride, and often can no more afford interest loan or leasing, or they sale to buy a new one, they like new. Have a look on internet, some specialized sites or if you like HD, go on HD playground.

I think the only one's allowed now to import foreign bikes are the government, and just see how much tax they levy on one.Far far more than you'd pay in Europe.The only bikes i find to be reasonably priced are the smaller Made in Thailand type but it's getting slowly better Honda have just launched 3 500cc Made in Thailand bikes ranging from 180-210,000 and Kawasaki do a 650cc the er6 and versy's at 235,000 and 285,000 respectively.

Always a Bashing! no matter where you go...

I think the reason for his asking is the high rate that Import Tax is at. Unless you have owned and can prove ownership for the past 5 years (Insurance and License documents for each year in your name...) 300% is a Monster to pay!

Then when all documents are properly produced... you get this Dumb look... and a "Why... Are you Here?" Again a Stupid Question... That Didn't deserve a Stupid Answer!! I just Smiled and said thank... You... and now if your through I and the Misses will be on our way... Leaning forward got him to do same.. Said... "She misses to vibration and thumping of the Exhaust .... between her..." Any more questions??

Edited by davidstipek

bringing a bike here.

Read it again... Here I copied it for you...

"A friend checked with importing a victory hammer?, the bike cost $14k, but when imported to thailand after tax it was $31k"

But regardless... to the owner or Importer do your paperwork! Get a Lawyer if Bike is special and big loss if it got lost... (Get the Picture?) Document everything! Pictures... Everything Pictures of Serial Number... etc!

Reason for this statement is a good friend of mine Lost his Custom Orange County Chopper.. he was missing someting they said and instead of getting them to let him Verify Contents of Container on the Spot for Shipping Damage. he left and returned with further Documentation and his Lawyer the next afternoon. When they openned container Bike was missing! He had already signed all receiving paperwork the day before... Sight Unseen"

Luck will have it this was a "White and Blue Trans Am Model" We saw it in Phuket a few days latter, when approached they said we were mistaken. Serial Actually did not match his Paperwork it had been filed off and a Restamp was attemped. Actually this bike before its crating was requested to have serial Stamp in several odd locations and pictures were Emailed of Operation. Acid was used to lift original Serial Number to be read. and case went to Court.

Nobody went to Jail a few fines were paid, pockets padded. We know who got the Bike out of Customs and sold it... Everytime now I go thru Customs at the least he will disapear, turn his back, act like he is busy... "All trying to save Face, I guess" but you know an appology would have been great! It's Thailand... his country... Just be honest with us!

Don't be upset because you don't have or can't afford, this is not our doing it's your own doing here with the outdated laws and respect... How do you think Thai Citizens would respond in USA if treated this way... "This deserves a answer" How would you react upon shipping something to USA...

Edited by davidstipek

bringing a bike here.

"A friend checked with importing a victory hammer?, the bike cost $14k, but when imported to thailand after tax it was $31k"

But regardless... to the owner or Importer do your paperwork! Get a Lawyer if Bike is special and big loss if it got lost... (Get the Picture?) Document everything! Pictures... Everything Pictures of Serial Number... etc!

Reason for this statement is a good friend of mine Lost his Custom Orange County Chopper.. he was missing someting they said and instead of getting them to let him Verify Contents of Container on the Spot for Shipping Damage. he left and returned with further Documentation and his Lawyer the next afternoon. When they openned container Bike was missing! He had already signed all receiving paperwork the day before... Sight Unseen"

Luck will have it this was a "White and Blue Trans Am Model" We saw it in Phuket a few days latter, when approached they said we were mistaken. Serial Actually did not match his Paperwork it had been filed off and a Restamp was attemped. Actually this bike before its crating was requested to have serial Stamp in several odd locations and pictures were Emailed of Operation. Acid was used to lift original Serial Number to be read. and case went to Court.

Nobody went to Jail a few fines were paid, pockets padded. We know who got the Bike out of Customs and sold it... Everytime now I go thru Customs at the least he will disapear, turn his back, act like he is busy... "All trying to save Face, I guess" but you know an appology would have been great! It's Thailand... his country... Just be honest with us!

Don't be upset because you don't have or can't afford, this is not our doing it's your own doing here with the outdated laws and respect... How do you think Thai Citizens would respond in USA if treated this way... "This deserves a answer" How would you react upon shipping something to USA...

Every container i had has either a plastic or steel seal shippers choice.

bringing a bike here.

Just keep in mind that these mid level customs guys pay for their posts. And I heard they pay in the range of 5,000,000 baht for a mid level post. So, when you consider how practical most Thai people are, when it comes to large expenditures, you can only imagine the money involved on a post like this. My guess is that this guy gets his money back within a year or two. How many unreasonable custom duty demands do you think that requires? The govt. knows about this, and has zero interest in addressing it, so as usual, this continues. Expect that when it comes to paying your duty.

bringing a bike here.

Just keep in mind that these mid level customs guys pay for their posts. And I heard they pay in the range of 5,000,000 baht for a mid level post. So, when you consider how practical most Thai people are, when it comes to large expenditures, you can only imagine the money involved on a post like this. My guess is that this guy gets his money back within a year or two. How many unreasonable custom duty demands do you think that requires? The govt. knows about this, and has zero interest in addressing it, so as usual, this continues. Expect that when it comes to paying your duty.

Really so much conjecture.....Odd whatever i import via sea container doesnt even go through humans as thailand has e-clearing.

Don't be upset because you don't have or can't afford, this is not our doing it's

Every container i had has either a plastic or steel seal shippers choice.

That is correct! when they clipped seal and threw into can John asked to see seal to compare with paperwork. They retrieved the OTHER seal from can which was correct one! I know because I was there also and when they opened container I dumped can contents in my hand. There was one, meaning the possibiity at one time there was 2. One correct one and one fake! Since They bullied their way to snip seal and disguard it before John asked to see it. Instead of handing it directly to him. This gave them a chance to retrieve the correct one...

The other seal in can ws never assigned to any shipment incomming or outgoing. It in fact was unused! so why was it in the can??

This was a real winner, but was again ignored by Thai Courts. Even with all the proof presented...

Yes he finnally got his bike back, but the enemies it made along the way.... was almost not worth it. Everytime He rides Bike he is stopped and searched for Drugs, his paperwork is checked, Once he was told his Helmet was not legal here in Thailand... He was wearing a Full Face Bell Star...

Edited by davidstipek

Then when all documents are properly produced... you get this Dumb look... and a "Why... Are you Here?" Again a Stupid Question... That Didn't deserve a Stupid Answer!! I just Smiled and said thank... You... and now if your through I and the Misses will be on our way... Leaning forward got him to do same.. Said... "She misses to vibration and thumping of the Exhaust .... between her..." Any more questions??

Have you been here long time? Because, you know, that is the Thai Officer's way to be semi-friendly. Still superior, but friendly. Had he wanted mess with you, he would have objected something on the documents, and shown a different face. Thailand is unlike the Western attitude where all questions must be motivated. There is no stupid question in Thailand. Actually many things we do look stupid to them

Anyway, try shipping your items to a Western country and give your asinine answer to a Customer Officer there.

Edited by paz