Phuket Governor proposes more tuk-tuks for the island

webfact

Phuket Governor proposes more tuk-tuks for the island
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut proposed an increase to the number of tuk-tuks legally operating in Phuket after he took a walking tour of Patong today.

The number of tuk-tuks allowed to operate on Phuket was capped at 1,200 about 10 years ago. However, there are many illegal tuk-tuks operating on the island, which has caused Sakol Srisompoch to lead a group of legal tuk-tuk drivers to lodge three complaints concerning the issue (story here).

“We do not have enough money to pay the monthly installments on our tuk-tuks and to cover living costs. Our incomes have fallen because many illegal taxis [tuk-tuks] are stealing work from us,” said Mr Sakol in late June.

By inspecting the tuk-tuk drivers along Rat Uthit 200 Pee Road and the shopkeepers who regularly come into contact with them, Gov Maitri proposed that a study be undertaken to set up a new system that will better allocate the services of tuk-tuk drivers around the island.

“During the low season, the number of tourists in any given area of the island, be it in Phuket Town or Patong, can be estimated, and drivers and their vehicles could be allocated to those areas appropriately, which would be advantageous to both the drivers and the tourists,” said Gov Maitri.

The general response from shop owners to Gov Maitri's proposal of increasing the number of tuk-tuks and better distributing their services around the island was a welcome one.

Until the illegal tuk-tuks become legal, however, officials have vowed to take action.

“Already this month we have fined 172 illegal tuk-tuks 2,000 baht each,” said Patong Police Superintendent Chiraphat Pochanaphan.

“We set up check-points around Patong every day,” Col Chiraphat explained.

Legal Patong tuk-tuk driver Sutin Sukkeaw believes that there are enough tourists for all the tuk-tuk drivers operating in Phuket to make a living, and welcomed the idea of the government paving the way for legalization.

“There would be no issue in increasing the number of tuk-tuks. Already illegal tuk-tuk drivers have their own queuing stations, and we have ours – I have never witnessed any passengers being stolen by an illegal tuk-tuk,” Mr Sutin said.

“Many tuk-tuk drivers are protesting because they are afraid that an increase in the number of tuk-tuks operating on the island will affect their income. However, I don't see this as an issue, because there are so many tourist visiting Phuket,” he said.

Jaturong Kaewkasi of the Phuket Land Transport Office (PLTO) backed Gov Maitri's call for a study of the need for tuk-tuk services before increasing the current ceiling.

“The need for more tuk-tuks by consumers will have to be the key motivation for increasing the number drivers allowed to operate on the island,” Mr Jaturong said.

“In the past, there were a lot of tuk-tuks operating in Phuket, but only a few tourists arriving during the low season. We don't want the drivers to have conflicts with each other and force us to discuss this issue again,” he explained.

After concluding his investigation along Rat Uthit Pee 200 Road, Gov Maitri said he would appoint relative officers to the case and have the issue resolved as soon as possible.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Governor-proposes-more-tuk-tuks-for-the-island-22287.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-20

>>“We do not have enough money to pay the monthly installments on our tuk-tuks and to cover living costs. Our incomes have fallen because many illegal taxis [tuk-tuks] are stealing work from us,” said Mr Sakol in late June.

No, your income has fallen because people are tired of getting ripped of and want an affordable solution to travel 1 km. Since you don't have enough money to pay your installments, increasing the number of drivers for a smaller pie makes sense, doesn't it Mr Sakol?

>>The general response from shop owners to Gov Maitri's proposal of increasing the number of tuk-tuks and better distributing their services around the island was a welcome one.

Are shop owners using the tuk tuks and finding them convenient and affordable, hence their valuable opinion matters, or are shop owners not happy with the tuk tuks because they take up all the parking and scare potential customers away?

• Like 1

Even less places for the rest of us to park our vehicles. They should be reducing the number of licences as there are far too many right now.

Not only Phuket, but many other places are burdened with many tuktuks, and taxis because of overlicensing.

A few years ago no taxi's in Khon Kaen, there were only tuktuk's

Now, a few years later there are less tuktuks, but there are nearly 300 registered taxis driving around.

All in all, 300 taxi's and 120 tuktuks seems to be slightly over the top.

Khon Kaen is not that big.

There is so much backwards, nonsensical comments in this article it is difficult to know where to start. But these two lines pretty much sum up the insanity that is the Phuket transport game:

"“We do not have enough money to pay the monthly installments on our tuk-tuks and to cover living costs. Our incomes have fallen..."

and

"“There would be no issue in increasing the number of tuk-tuks."

when is a street with 20 tuk tuk parked next to eachother how many of them are actually working ??

better when driver his shift is over and they sleep in their hammock with the laokao in hand they are not allowed to be in the city but outside at some parking place

what is the use of 20 taxi waiting for customer ? like there is gonna be a bus coming , everybody gets out and they all get into a tuk tuk

How about enforcing a service like Bangkok where you can hop on and off whenever/where ever you want at a reasonable price... It would be nice to hail a taxi in Phuket town late at night. The taxis already use that cheaper LPG gas, whats the need for the high prices?

I always go out of my way to pick people up that I know to make sure they dont use the taxis on the island because they are simply ridiculous!

Edited by bangarang

How about enforcing a service like Bangkok where you can hop on and off whenever/where ever you want at a reasonable price... It would be nice to hail a taxi in Phuket town late at night. The taxis already use that cheaper LPG gas, whats the need for the high prices?

I always go out of my way to pick people up that I know to make sure they dont use the taxis on the island because they are simply ridiculous!

So...you...are...an ....illegal...taxi....driver...also???

So...you...are...an ....illegal...taxi....driver...also???

work permit? reserved occupation.....mate, better off not saying what you do....who knows who is reading this

When will he understand that the people don't want them anymore, that they are unsafe, rogue, armed and extortionate.

A 10 or 20B baht bus system for Patong (same as Pattaya), regular pink buses between the beaches and the existing shuttle to and from the airport, plus some legal metered taxis with Bangkok rates. Period.

Of course this guy wants them (more or made legal) because he is one at the top of the "Tea Money" chain...........more income for him for doing nothing other than ruining the Island with greed.

Surely the numb nuts that run this mafia transport system can see that a properly organised bus system would make more money than a bunch of loafing, half-wit tuk tuk drivers?? But then that would take forward thinking, i.e. beyond the next meal.

• Like 1

Anyone but a blind man can see there are far too many tuk tuks lining the streets in Patong taking up all the available parking space that is not already being used by the vehicle renters with the drivers pestering anyone who walks by. Has anyone ever seen a time when there were no idle tuk tuks in Patong. I have but that was over 20 years ago. Until you get honest authorities & they decide there will be no more snouts in the trough nothing will change.