500,000 in thai bank , joint account but cannot access our money..help

me and wife put this into thai bank account 2 years ago, now my wife is waiting on immigration issuing her uk visa, she cannot travel outside uk untill she has her visa as if she does then ukba will not let her return into uk without visa status. anyway straight to the point here, we desperately need that money, really need it , i can travel alone with wifes passport or letter from wife etc to get the money out of account, can i get access to this money ? my wife can leave phone number or what ever for bank manager to call her in uk , can a lawyer help for small fee ? what can or what should we do ?

thanks

mike

Your wife can give you (or someone else like a friend or a lawyer) specific power of attorney in respect to that account and this should be accepted by the bank. Best check with the bank exactly what form they want the POA to be in before getting it.

Having a POA wont allow you to do anything that you couldnt do if both of you were present though.

Who is telling you that you can not have your money, the bank, why?

Does the bank have a branch in England?

I'm sure the bank will work with you. You may have to pay a penalty if it is similar to a Certificate of Deposit, but you have your money. Like Suradit says, what does paypal have to do with it?

The difference is:

- "Mr" and "Mrs", i.e. both have to sign at the same time

OR

- "Mr" and/or "Mrs", i.e. single signature is sufficient
Worst case scenario; get a power of attorney in Thai language done (by your wife) and get her signature legalized by the next Thai Embassy. The signature of the Thai Embassy (in London I assume) can be notarized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Chaeng Wattana). So done with all translations of documents from non-Thai into Thai, if the paper is issued overseas.
Latter should do the trick as bureaucracy also has its advantages and I cannot imagine, that a banker would reject a legalised power of attorney with a lot of Garuda stamps, signatures and little numbers 8-)

looks like on what you have posted,you have opened an acc.you dont understand and its got a minium limit before you can access the funds.when you opened it did you stipulate it requires both signatures to draw on it.

what bank is it.

Maybe the OP, should give the bank a better explanation,than

he has given to us here,and we can understand English,if he

talked to the bank in such a vague way,maybe the could not

fully understand what he wanted to do.

regards Worgeordie

God bless all of you that have found the patience to try and find a solution for the OP. I have not got a clue what he is talking about, and no idea on how to help him. Where did he go?

go and read the op's posting in the general topics. [TROLL]

• Like 1

What the OP is saying seems pretty clear to me

He and his wife are in the UK, the money is here, his wife cannot leave the UK, 2 signatures are needed to withdraw the money, the OP is willing to travel here alone to get the money but needs help as 2 sigs are needed

OP only your Thai bank can help you with this, get your wife to call them to see how you can get your money without her returning here.

• Like 2

Sounds to me like he is fishing for a loan, "I have paypal". If I had 10 baht for every time a foreigner told me he had plenty of money in the bank but couldnt access it at the moment, could I loan him some money, I could take a holiday. Maybe I am just skeptical of new posters with money problems who need help sorting it out. Perhaps it is also because over the last month his post conflict "We live together in UK". " I live in UK, but wife in Thailand", "we live together in Isaan"... Maybe he is on the up and up, but in 4 years in Thailand I have only been cheated by Brits...

Sounded that way to me too.

• Like 1

God bless all of you that have found the patience to try and find a solution for the OP. I have not got a clue what he is talking about, and no idea on how to help him. Where did he go?

You are right, since the OP expected forum members to help him he should have outlined his bank account problem in a positive manner in order to ensure that matters could be understood, and not the way it was done, he does not seem to understand what the account is all about.

In order to find out what is happening to their joint account he should contact the bank, not the forum members, and the bank will outline the entire account details.

Sounds to me like he is fishing for a loan, "I have paypal". If I had 10 baht for every time a foreigner told me he had plenty of money in the bank but couldnt access it at the moment, could I loan him some money, I could take a holiday. Maybe I am just skeptical of new posters with money problems who need help sorting it out. Perhaps it is also because over the last month his post conflict "We live together in UK". " I live in UK, but wife in Thailand", "we live together in Isaan"... Maybe he is on the up and up, but in 4 years in Thailand I have only been cheated by Brits...

If I was silly enough to try to elicit sympathy from strangers,much less high finance, this is the last place I'd post. ;)

• Like 2

I must agree , only,,,,,,,, cheated by Brits..... also in 15+

• Like 1

Ouch! 500,000.

I have (had?) 20,000 in a bank in Chiang Mai. The bank, after opening the account told me that they must send me my PIN # in the mail.

But they never did (or it got lost at the condo place I was renting at).

Now I'm back in America and all I could ever get was (over and over) go to the branch in Chiang Mai....

...long walk that is.

I imagine it's history now, as that was 2010.

OP my suggestion is to hire a lawyer.

My company handles transfers overseas on a weekly basis.

The first mistake here is having a joint account.

The second is leaving Thailand without clearing out the account.

Even with TWO Power of Attorney forms (one provided by the bank), the account holder's original passport, AND that we were simply requesting money be transferred via IBAN to an account overseas with an identical name, SCB insisted the clients return to Thailand in person. What we did receive from the SCB complaints manager was sufficient BS to fill a barn, but then he didn't understand how IBAN worked anyway.

Op has a Thai wife, the internet and money in a Thai bank. He can solve his own problem better than anybody here.

Thai wife calls or emails Thai bank tells them in Thai that they need to withdraw the money but she can't go with her husband to the bank (maybe explaining why), and asks if it is possible for him to get it on his own and if so what the bank needs her to do to facilitate this.

• Like 1

hmmmmmm.........just as i thought from thaivisaforum loads of negitive nitwits , please read the post !! if you cannot understand it then its through no fault of my own, to the few who gave me advice thanks very much .