Recent purchase

jbaldwin

post-3771-0-51887600-1379742050_thumb.jp

I purchased some Smoked Salmon at a major retail in Pattaya on 19 September.

As you can see from the photo a small area of the cardboard outer packaging had been removed and next to it was a sticker with Thai writting giving the sell by date as 30 September.

If I have a cynical person I might think that the product had expired and the sell by date had been altered to allow it to still be sold......but a responsible retailer would not do that........even in Thailand......right?

• Like 1

When I was in my mid teens in the UK I worked part time at a big supermarket chain. i did all kinds of things, I shacked shelves, mopped floors...and helped with the bread and cakes section. One of my regular jobs on bread and cakes was to look at the sell by dates and replace them with later dates if they had expired. Funnily, I just did what i was told and didn't question it. Maybe thats why they seemed to like me...too young and naive to know better.

Anyway, this is Thailand, not the UK and yes, they might have changed the sell by date even on Salmon.

Edited by paddyjenkins

any better seller will discount items about to expire...i know Tesco does for one. and i am happy to pick up perfectly good things at 50% discount, if i know it will be consumed within due date.

3 weeks ago scooped up few dozens of Coke Zero cans, about 15 days till expiration...price 3thb each! yay, keep 'em coming!

Why make the purchase? Were you right or were you wrong? If you eat the product, get food poisoning and end up with a backside like a Japanese flag, will you feel a sense of pride that your initial cynicism is justified? Or will you just regret ever buying and eating the product in the first place?

What is that white square with a circular transparent window to the right of the sticker with the Thai text? Is it a pocket or envelope glued to the plastic packing of the salmon? How wide is this square? It looks like an envelope for a CD to me.

post-21260-0-12758500-1379842073_thumb.j

Regarding the Thai label, it is there to comply with Thai food labelling laws.

any better seller will discount items about to expire...i know Tesco does for one. and i am happy to pick up perfectly good things at 50% discount, if i know it will be consumed within due date.

3 weeks ago scooped up few dozens of Coke Zero cans, about 15 days till expiration...price 3thb each! yay, keep 'em coming!

That's good buying. They can't sell it past expiry date and all food items must have expiry dates by law, but we all know that coke will be good for years to come.

I wouldn't buy smoked salmon close to expiry. That stuff costs too much to take chances... apart from the health risk. You can get very nasty bugs from salmon.

• 6 years later...