Alternative to Pangasius Fish?

moonseeker

Even "breathing" is many parts of the world dangerous. I like my -Pangasius- Breaded Fish and chips meal.

At MAKRO now, 1.000 g frozen fillet - 800 g net. Only 79.- Baht !

To much Antibiotics and medicine inside the fish, ok, than "I save my way to the pharmacy!"

I am "immunized" beforehand, already against a lot! tongue.png

The death comes also to the "Health Apostles". whistling.gif

Talk about classic head in the sand.

1. Yes, breathing can be hazardous in many parts of the world, therefore you don't want to be adding to the hazards by eating fish bred in sewers.

2. Yes, everyone dies, but by taking a little care about what you eat you can increase your chances of living longer with a better quality of life.

You probably didn't watch the video. If you haven't already, don't, because you won't enjoy your fish and chips as much if you do.tongue.png

-Tropo-

I not care so much about everything same others, or you.

I believe, my still sometimes done Motorbike driving with my old 400 cc Sport Honda is in the way I practice it what is much more dangerous than any fish.

When I am in the "right" mood (Not so often - but sometimes you meet a "crazy guy" in a car), car driving can be similar entertaining. w00t.gif

Just yesterday bought 4 kg of the "shunned" MAKRO fish. I have to say since I eat him frequently, can say often, I was not sick. good medicin! tongue.png

-Tropo-

I not care so much about everything same others, or you.

I believe, my still sometimes done Motorbike driving with my old 400 cc Sport Honda is in the way I practice it what is much more dangerous than any fish.

When I am in the "right" mood (Not so often - but sometimes you meet a "crazy guy" in a car), car driving can be similar entertaining. w00t.gif

Just yesterday bought 4 kg of the "shunned" MAKRO fish. I have to say since I eat him frequently, can say often, I was not sick. good medicin! tongue.png

I don't care about everything, but I can't eat that fish no more - ate plenty before I quit though. When you know how they are raised, it takes the fun out of it.tongue.png

If you're living in a heavily polluted city, you still have to breath, but no one is holding a gun to your head saying you're got to eat sewer fish.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Tropo, I neither agree nor disagree with what you're saying, I haven't watched the video simply because over here in LOS none of us are likely to know exactly where the fish we buy come from, back in Scotland at the time I left the fishing industry, the fishermen started a traceability program whereby the fish merchants knew what day and where each fish was caught, which is certainly a good thing and would give us confidence in the product, but many places don't have this traceability in place therefore most of us have no idea where our fish come from, I can also tell you that Coley (a close member of the pollack family) used to frequent the shit sewers along the coastline, most sea fish if given the opportunity will eat human waste, in saying that pollack or coley have excellent looking white flesh, but as mentioned before it's not a personal choice of mine simple because at the time there were too many better options,

• Like 1

Tropo, I neither agree nor disagree with what you're saying, I haven't watched the video simply because over here in LOS none of us are likely to know exactly where the fish we buy come from, back in Scotland at the time I left the fishing industry, the fishermen started a traceability program whereby the fish merchants knew what day and where each fish was caught, which is certainly a good thing and would give us confidence in the product, but many places don't have this traceability in place therefore most of us have no idea where our fish come from, I can also tell you that Coley (a close member of the pollack family) used to frequent the shit sewers along the coastline, most sea fish if given the opportunity will eat human waste, in saying that pollack or coley have excellent looking white flesh, but as mentioned before it's not a personal choice of mine simple because at the time there were too many better options,

Actually we are likely to know with a high degree of certainty that the frozen catfish (Pangasius, basa, tra, Pacific Dory etc) available here comes from the Mekong River Delta. The supply of this fish around the the world comes from there. It's a well established new industry which is worth many billions of dollars annually and changing the fish industry globally. They are able to produce the quantity and quality at the right price, thereby compete with local markets around the world.

These fish happen to be native to the Mekong River. It doesn't even matter how dirty or clean the fish farms there are, because the Mekong River is a good approximation of a sewer anyway.

I know it's probably not want you want to hear, but it's the facts with this type of fish. If you insist on eating it, don't watch the video.

• Like 1

It ain't about what I'd like to hear or not, The point I'm trying to make that if you dwell too much on what you read then you won't have too many issues with regard to eating anything, what you maybe don't understand or don't want to hear, is that human waste is quite possibly a good source of food for the fish,

On many occasions I've scraped prawns out of the inside of stinking carcasses of dead sheep when fishing on the west coast of Scotland,, would that stop me from eating prawns,,, not one bit.

Likewise regarding what I mentioned about the sewer (pollock) fish, I didn't make a habit of eating pollock simply because the better options available at the time,,, nothing to do with where they came from,, sure again as I mentioned if try to avoid fish in areas where nuclear waste is deposited, but I wouldn't lose any sleepless nights over it

• Like 1

The point I'm trying to make that if you dwell too much on what you read then you won't have too many issues with regard to eating quote]

Appologies,,, touchscreen typo to above paragraph

Meant "if we dwell too much on what we read or see then we would all be slim size"

It ain't about what I'd like to hear or not, The point I'm trying to make that if you dwell too much on what you read then you won't have too many issues with regard to eating anything, what you maybe don't understand or don't want to hear, is that human waste is quite possibly a good source of food for the fish,

On many occasions I've scraped prawns out of the inside of stinking carcasses of dead sheep when fishing on the west coast of Scotland,, would that stop me from eating prawns,,, not one bit.

Likewise regarding what I mentioned about the sewer (pollock) fish, I didn't make a habit of eating pollock simply because the better options available at the time,,, nothing to do with where they came from,, sure again as I mentioned if try to avoid fish in areas where nuclear waste is deposited, but I wouldn't lose any sleepless nights over it

What do you think ends up in the Mekong River over it's 4,350 km from China, through Burma, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam? I'm not focusing on human shit, but chemicals dumped and leeched into the river. They don't have regulations in this part of the world, or even if they do no one takes any notice of them. These rivers are sewers.

I don't eat prawns either, for similar reasons.

First you made an excuse that I don't know where they come from - now you're saying the shit they are raised in isn't so bad.

Nice try....No thanks, I'll give them a miss.

Edited by tropo

I would love to know what fish are farmed and what fish come from the sea!

post-110622-0-35268000-1380249314_thumb.

This is "Barramundi," which Thais label as "Sea Bass." It is farm grown and typically lives in brackish water.

post-110622-0-29537800-1380249330_thumb.

This is "Tilapia," which Thais often mislabel as "Snapper." It is farm grown in fresh water.

These two species can be found all over Thailand now. They are cheap to grow and will eat anything. I saw, with my own eyes, one fish farmer feeding dead baby chickens to tilapia.

I think both taste horrible. I also think both are part of a large scam. Real sea bass, which if not farm grown and comes from the sea, is good tasting and does not even resemble barramundi.

Real "snapper" (Red Snapper) has a wonderful taste and has no resemblance at all to tilapia.

Buyer beware!

post-110622-0-50436900-1380249723_thumb.

This is not the best picture, but it does show non-farmed saltwater fish that were caught in Jomtien-Pattaya.

I have seen "flounder" (a flat fish with eyes on one side) in the market in Pattaya. It is very good, but you have to buy it fresh (and it is not farm raised).

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

Please don't take it personal Tropo, none of us can be sure where most fish come from, not only you,, I was just pointing out from my experiences in the industry, personally I don't care much about Mekong fish,, yes sure I've tried the panga, personal preference for me would always be sea fish coming from a fishing background,

the personal bullshit you're coming out with in the last post wasn't called for especially since you pointed out some useful stuff prior to that, I didn't actually say the shit isn't so bad,, what I did say was it could quite possibly be a good source of food for the fish, as pig shit provides nutrients for plants,, I don't know for sure hence why I said it "could be"

[quote name="tropo"

First you made an excuse that I don't know where they came from - now you saying the shit they are rared in isn't so bad.

Troop, as you know this is a public forum used for giving and receiving info, you are as I am entitled to our opinions or sharing our experiences,we base our choices from experience and sharing those opinions,, please don't take it personal, I mentioned in a previous post that I neither agree or disagree with you, this was based purely on personal choice combined with my personal experiences, I don't think I said you were wrong on any of your previous inputs I just have differing opinions,, now let's get back to sharing our experiences.

Apologies if I offended, it wasn't meant

• Like 1

Apologies again tropo, your incorrect quote didn't attach as was meant to my above post, here it is below.

I'll repeat, nothing personal was meant by my personal opinions

quote name="tropo" post=

First you made an excuse that I don't know where they come from - now you're saying the shit they are raised in isn't so bad.

Nice try....No thanks, I'll give them a miss.[/quote

Please don't take it personal Tropo, none of us can be sure where most fish come from, not only you,, I was just pointing out from my experiences in the industry, personally I don't care much about Mekong fish,, yes sure I've tried the panga, personal preference for me would always be sea fish coming from a fishing background,

the personal bullshit you're coming out with in the last post wasn't called for especially since you pointed out some useful stuff prior to that, I didn't actually say the shit isn't so bad,, what I did say was it could quite possibly be a good source of food for the fish, as pig shit provides nutrients for plants,, I don't know for sure hence why I said it "could be"

[quote name="tropo"

First you made an excuse that I don't know where they came from - now you saying the shit they are rared in isn't so bad.

Troop, as you know this is a public forum used for giving and receiving info, you are as I am entitled to our opinions or sharing our experiences,we base our choices from experience and sharing those opinions,, please don't take it personal, I mentioned in a previous post that I neither agree or disagree with you, this was based purely on personal choice combined with my personal experiences, I don't think I said you were wrong on any of your previous inputs I just have differing opinions,, now let's get back to sharing our experiences.

Apologies if I offended, it wasn't meant

No offense taken and I hope I didn't cause any.

I'm no expert on fish in general, I just know quite a bit about these catfish as I used to eat them in quite large numbers, but always felt uneasy about eating anything out of the Mekong River... so I researched it.

I don't think there's anyway around it - true deep sea caught fish are going to cost a lot.... and they're going to go up as they become more scarce. In Australia it can cost as much as or more than prime beef now. I can see a time in the not too distant future that deep sea fish are going to be a luxury only the rich can afford.

I would love to know what fish are farmed and what fish come from the sea!

attachicon.gifBarramundi.jpg

This is "Barramundi," which Thais label as "Sea Bass." It is farm grown and typically lives in brackish water.

attachicon.giftilapia.jpg

This is "Tilapia," which Thais often mislabel as "Snapper." It is farm grown in fresh water.

These two species can be found all over Thailand now. They are cheap to grow and will eat anything. I saw, with my own eyes, one fish farmer feeding dead baby chickens to tilapia.

I think both taste horrible. I also think both are part of a large scam. Real sea bass, which if not farm grown and comes from the sea, is good tasting and does not even resemble barramundi.

Real "snapper" (Red Snapper) has a wonderful taste and has no resemblance at all to tilapia.

Buyer beware!

attachicon.gifsalt water fish jomtien.jpg

This is not the best picture, but it does show non-farmed saltwater fish that were caught in Jomtien-Pattaya.

I have seen "flounder" (a flat fish with eyes on one side) in the market in Pattaya. It is very good, but you have to buy it fresh (and it is not farm raised).

Alas it's getting harder and harder to find good quality wild sea fish these days.

Sea Bass ( Pla Kapong) in Thailand is related to Australian Barramundi ( an aboriginal Australian word) but of course it's farmed = bland, & speaking of scams is sold in Australia as Barramundi too.

I have eaten Pangassius sold in Pattaya which was called John Dory at a popular pub - I know a little about this as we serve tons of Basa/Paga where I work. Don't try poaching this stuff - it turns a sickly pink colour , it's OK fried in batter - most of our customers don't know.The industry now uses Panga in the same way we used Nile Perch 10 or so years ago, ie it's the cheapest thing on the market.The flounder mentioned above was proably an Indian Hallibut - last of the wild stock ?

Hey, do you know any market where to buy sea prawn ?

I really don't want to eat anything that comes from a farm, and especially in this country... (but I know that feeding salmon with pesticide in Norway is not better!)

Actually I feel like to completely stop eating anything and hate this industry that poisons the people, fuxx these monkeyx, wish that they die with their own <deleted>.

Hey, do you know any market where to buy sea prawn ?

I really don't want to eat anything that comes from a farm, and especially in this country... (but I know that feeding salmon with pesticide in Norway is not better!)

Actually I feel like to completely stop eating anything and hate this industry that poisons the people, fuxx these monkeyx, wish that they die with their own <deleted>.

Don't bother your barney too much about this...

It's bad, but there won't be a pension anyway, so have a smoke. (German joke on crumbling social security systems) w00t.gif

When I lived in chonburi I used to go down early morning to the beach and catch the small boats coming in to offload their catch of fish, the fishermen would gladly sell some of their catch, not many prawns around from the beach fishermen as prawns are normally trawled up from the muddy depths, therefore requiring bigger boats than the ones dragged up on the beach.

The market at Bang pu in samut prakarn you may find saltwater prawns there

You probably didn't watch the video. If you haven't already, don't, because you won't enjoy your fish and chips as much if you do.tongue.png

I watched it now, (have slow signal) and it does not bother me at all! tongue.png

You are to sensitive.

Human waste is a fertilizer in many (poorer) countries used and can be a part of what cat fish consume.That is life.

Regarding the Industrial, chemical pollution of the water used in the fish ponds

and the antibiotics ect possibly fed, that is nowadays a factor you have to live with anyway. coffee1.gif

And now my breaded Pangasius breakfast.wink.png

http://www.agrowingculture.org/2011/09/recycling-human-waste/

".....rural setting where a toilet in many cases is nothing more than a platform above a catfish pond....."

I watched the movie that (was it Tropo?) somebody posed on catfish farming in the Mekong River. The Asian farmers could care less about health and are only wanting to make money (probably a worldwide scenario). What surprised me most about the movie was that the farm-raised catfish were being exported to the USA, among other countries. What is the FDA (Food and Drug Adminisration of the US Govt) doing to protect Americans from fish that is hazardous to health? The FDA seems to be just as "guilty" as the fish farmers. Money, money, money and to Hell with everything else!

• Like 2

I watched it now, (have slow signal) and it does not bother me at all! tongue.png

You are to sensitive.

Human waste is a fertilizer in many (poorer) countries used and can be a part of what cat fish consume.That is life.

Regarding the Industrial, chemical pollution of the water used in the fish ponds

and the antibiotics ect possibly fed, that is nowadays a factor you have to live with anyway. coffee1.gif

And now my breaded Pangasius breakfast.wink.png

http://www.agrowingculture.org/2011/09/recycling-human-waste/

".....rural setting where a toilet in many cases is nothing more than a platform above a catfish pond....."

Yeah, you got that right - I'm too sensitive to watch that video and eat a meal of it. I reckon you are too despite the brave face you're putting on here. You probably threw out a couple of kilos of that frozen Dory you purchased last week.biggrin.png

-tropo-

No, not thrown out and not given to the dogs or cat. Is eaten by me, trust my words in my last post! tongue.png

I will buy that fish again,but give the higher priced Pangasius - including Thai produced ones, a new try,

these have stronger, less jelly style meat and a more light pink color, which my eye likes more. (Thinking from salmon?)

The cheapest stock (Vietnamese), has meat with less consistence (to fast grown up?),

without any light pink influence or is probably, just a bit different breed. wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

-tropo-

No, not thrown out and not given to the dogs or cat. Is eaten by me, trust my words in my last post! tongue.png

I will buy that fish again,but give the higher priced Pangasius - including Thai produced ones, a new try,

these have stronger, less jelly style meat and a more light pink color, which my eye likes more. (Thinking from salmon?)

The cheapest stock (Vietnamese), has meat with less consistence (to fast grown up?),

without any light pink influence or is probably, just a bit different breed. wink.png

The Vietnamese catfish is the best quality... that's why it threatened the American catfish industry and they had to change the marketed name. Most people polled preferred the taste and consistency of the Vietnamese catfish.

There's a reason why it's taking the world by storm - it's good.

I didn't stop eating it because of the taste.

I have been buying Halibut for fish and chips,quite a nice taste,and good value for money too

Where have you been buying that? I love Halibut

Have bought it fresh or already filleted from big c extra,pattaya klang,its about 200 baht a kilo if i remember right.Excellant to batter with chips and peas

I have been buying Halibut for fish and chips,quite a nice taste,and good value for money too

Where have you been buying that? I love Halibut

Have bought it fresh or already filleted from big c extra,pattaya klang,its about 200 baht a kilo if i remember right.Excellant to batter with chips and peas

Sorry I forgot, you meant the Indian Halibut, yes I have had that before, I worry about its freshness, any idea where it comes from? Sometimes it tastes sweet like Plaice, other times its been musky. I buy the whole fish normally