More provinces under water

Lite Beer

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure if Farangs were in charge the rains would stop.....blink.png

Cos in Farang countries we never have flooding do we, cos we Farangs know better, yeah right...

Nope everywhere floods, especially when build on flood plains. However not that many countries have PM saying won't happen when it already is.

Our politicians always get it right and never ever try to calm the population down, hooray for Farang politicians, boo for the Thais that do exactly the same thing. w00t.gif

Thank Christ we are free to leave Thailand whenever we like, unlike the vast majority of Thai people who have no choice.

There is a difference between calming people down by explaining what is happening/what is being done to ameliorate the situation and just refusing to recognise the painful reality of the truth. There are Thai experts and politicians who are prepared to do this and have realistic solutions I'm sure, however none of them appear to be in a position of power in the current administration.

As far as I can tell, it has been raining very heavily in lots of provinces to the north and northeast of Thailand with many provinces being flooded. Since Thailand is a sloped country, this means that all of this water is going to flow downhill to Bangkok, doesn't it?

Can anyone confirm or refute my above statement? Additionally, does anyone know approximately when we can expect the runoff to hit Bangkok?

You're all wet--- The Mun river starts west of Korat and empties into the Mekong and after 40 years here I still don't know which way Thailand slants.(or leans)

Ermmm Pattaya suffers regularly from flash floods ........

Anyway the watermap of Thailand is roughly as follows.

* Most of Northern and Central Thailand drain their water into the gulf of Thailand. In majority through the Chao Phraya. And some through some other minor rivers, like the Mae Klong and Bang Pakong. But most of the water has the go through Bangkok.

*Most of Isaan and 2 or 3 rivers or so in the upper upper North drain through the Mekong river. That water feeds Tonle Sap and probably floods Phnom Penh on the way. In the end it will go into the South China Sea through the Mekong delta in Vietnam.

*Then there are many "minor" rivers (which still flood regularly) in the South and East and 1 in the North I believe that take their water directly to either the Andaman see or the Gulf of Thailand.

So the flooding in Isaan, while horrible, is not in any way a threat to Bangkok, unless the Thais decide to blow a hole through 800 meter high mountains.

For more info about the River systems of Thailand, see (which also has a nice map of the Chao Phraya system!):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_systems_of_Thailand

• Like 1

I just have information from my son in Taipeh..

No big problems. When a typhoon is coming every one is prepared.

The Army is ready, no cheerleader to give the orders.

They learn from history, political dissens comes after the typhoon.

• Like 1

Yes some provinces are under water with more to come but there is no problem and there will not be and that's official, YL says so.

Wasn't it the Prime Minister who said do not worry about floods? What map was she looking at? Map of china or map of Thailand

If you will recall she wasn't looking at the map just pointing to it while staring off into space.giggle.gif

• Like 1

Bangkok will not be affected as, after the 2011 floods, the BMA already dredged all the canals through the city so they wouldnt clog up next time...

They did? Okay, must have been done at night so as not to alarm anyone.

Edited by marell

As far as I can tell, it has been raining very heavily in lots of provinces to the north and northeast of Thailand with many provinces being flooded. Since Thailand is a sloped country, this means that all of this water is going to flow downhill to Bangkok, doesn't it?

Can anyone confirm or refute my above statement? Additionally, does anyone know approximately when we can expect the runoff to hit Bangkok?

The runoff from most of the Northeast flows into the Moon river, not the Chao Phraya, so it's lower Esarn that gets the water. Actually, quite a bit of it is already here. The rain in the Northern and Central regions flows mostly into the Chao Phraya - so look out for heavy rain in those areas. But how long it takes to get there? No idea.

I wonder, Will the flooding cause problems with the rice harvest this year? As most on this thread blame the governments lack of governing for the flooding, a conspiracy theorist might say this is a convenient way to reduce the cost of subsidy for the rice scheme! flood relief was 5000 baht per household last time this happened, compared to the price per ton of rice.

Cos in Farang countries we never have flooding do we, cos we Farangs know better, yeah right...

I take it you've never been to Holland?

Flash floods are one thing. Seasonal floods are another.

Being prepared for seasonal floods should be simple. The government should be ready. It should also be honest. This government borrowed 350 billion in 2011 and spent pretty much zero since. Do you see any data on river levels and flow rates? Intelligent warnings of where will be flooded? Hotlines of who to call? No - it's all Dad's Army

Being prepared for seasonal floods should be simple. The government should be ready. It should also be honest. This government borrowed 350 billion in 2011 and spent pretty much zero since. Do you see any data on river levels and flow rates? Intelligent warnings of where will be flooded? Hotlines of who to call? No - it's all Dad's Army

To be honest some of the money was spent to help Bangkok. To what degree remains to be seen.

7 has sandbags around the front door and workers inside digging what looks to be a sump.

only sign of flooding is the very small khlong nearby that is about a foot higher than usual but still a meter below the road. sa keao near border. hasnt been raining for a day or two but was fairly consistent for a few days before that. dont know if this is a run off path though so still may get the feet wet. at worst, maybe have to change room to the first floor. no refugees in sight, business as usual.

errm that's to the second floor depending on your terminology

Edited by foot long

The 350 Billion Baht was spent; it just wasn't spent on flood prevention or control.

• Like 2

Aaaaaahhh...I love the smell of Thai- apologists in the morning!

Yes!

We do have floods in "farang land"!

Not every year for the last....500.000 years, though.... and we learn from it occasionally...but please continue!

The psychiatrists are already grabbing their prescription pads!

• Like 2

Yeah in farang countries they plan and if they do not know they ask people who are qualified! Why does not Thailand ask the Dutch to help because they know what they are doing! How many years of trial and error are you planning for? Please continue in your line of thought and make Thailand a mass paddy field of human error.

Edited by Sheryl
civility
  • Like 1

Yes!

Not every year for the last....500.000 years, though.... and we learn from it occasionally...but please continue!

I guess the west has not had to learn too much from monsoons and tropical storms over the last 500.000 years, although there are regions that have coped well with heavy snowfall!! where as the Thai built houses on stilts and learnt to accomodate the quirks of the life blood for agriculture....Then the western style of building arrived!! and with it the capitalist moaners, who for the sake of additional space build underground carparks in BKK!! for the majority of Thailand some floods may be extreme, but it is business as usual for the majority, the water arrives, and when it departs it departs, and in the agricultural areas a little too much for a while is perceived as better than non at all! The minority but most expensive to appease, in the cities, just want money spent to right what they got wrong smile.png

Yes!

I guess the west has not had to learn too much from monsoons and tropical storms over the last 500.000 years, although there are regions that have coped well with heavy snowfall!! where as the Thai built houses on stilts and learnt to accomodate the quirks of the life blood for agriculture....Then the western style of building arrived!! and with it the capitalist moaners, who for the sake of additional space build underground carparks in BKK!! for the majority of Thailand some floods may be extreme, but it is business as usual for the majority, the water arrives, and when it departs it departs, and in the agricultural areas a little too much for a while is perceived as better than non at all! The minority but most expensive to appease, in the cities, just want money spent to right what they got wrong smile.png

Okay...sooooo..fit is the farangs fault, no matter what?!

And since nobody wants to hear what "we" to say to anything, if Thais copy "us" and things go wrong...it is "us" again, who are at fault?

Yes!

Okay...sooooo..fit is the farangs fault, no matter what?!

And since nobody wants to hear what "we" to say to anything, if Thais copy "us" and things go wrong...it is "us" again, who are at fault?

Nope it's nature, the Thai have dealt with it for years, the moaning farang turns up and demands that there is a cure for all the ills nature can bestow.....is there any wonder nobody wants to hear it.......the trait I find so attractive in many Thai is the ability to deal with anything life throws at them....rather than sit around and moan......carry on.....

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, in her dual role as defence minister, has ordered military personnel to help residents in 15 flood-hit provinces

From September 16 through 22, the ministry’s relief centre has sent 1,500 soldiers, 35 trucks, five excavators and 29 flat-bottomed boats to assist flood-hit people.

Is this really all the equipment and personnel that is needed? Seems a bit inadequate for the size of area flooded.

What about that aircraft carrier?

Or the submarines from "submarine day"?

Nope it's nature, the Thai have dealt with it for years, the moaning farang turns up and demands that there is a cure for all the ills nature can bestow.....

The current flooding is making the news because it is, in at least some locations, very out of the ordinary by Thai standards. If these were the normal seasonal floods, it wouldn't be making headlines in the Thai press.

Thank you pointing out the shortcomings of the previous post.

Reality is difficult to face for some.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Tigre101

The current flooding is making the news because it is, in at least some locations, very out of the ordinary by Thai standards. If these were the normal seasonal floods, it wouldn't be making headlines in the Thai press.

Also aggravated by a bunch of people claiming that they intend and have partially already spent a boat load of money to make it all better...

In the UK many centuries we had K Canute who's drainage plan and ocean control system failed.

The Dutch dredged and drained East Anglia and the Fens 300 years ago and the Victorian engineers built our city sewer system which

still works to this day.

However the reason the UK railway,road,canal and drainage system is still working hundreds of years after being built is that it lacked one primary component Thailand has.

Corruption and skimming of public funds.

'Let them eat cake' as Thaksin once said about the starving masses!