restaurant review

ericpasansai

Like every other member who writes in about food it seems I too went to the best culinary school in the world. Paris, Prague, Tirana Albania and London so I too am qualified to babble on about restaurants with absolutely no regard for economy of words .

I walked in and what jumped out at me was that even though the salt shakers had rice in the shaker, the salt still clumped and was difficult to pour.

The sea urchins were imported from Greece and NOT Italy as claimed.

The wine glasses came from Venice and NOT Murano as stated

The waitress were in fact waiters (adams apple)

The napkins were 200 count Egyptian cotton not 400 count as one would expect in a restaurant specializing in food from Andora

All in all we enjoyed our meal as my parents were visiting from Zagreb and rarely had the opportunity to have Andorian food

And the point is?,I thought this forums purpose was to help people,educate,

debate topics referring to Chiang Mai, and to sometimes have a joke,but

that post was no of those.

regards Worgeordie

I agree. This post is disrespectful to the world class chefs who work so tirelessly to educate the masses on ThaiVisa about what consititues good food. It's disgraceful.

• Like 2

No mention of the restaurant's name nor location....so therefore this review is totally hopeless. Its like reviewing a motor vehicle but not saying the brand or model.

As Daoyai above said...how was the Pizza? geez if I went to a pizza place decked out like that, I wouldnt be complaining.... Id probably be kicked out!

Lots of very good eating/dinning establishments in Chiang Mai. Some are in hotels and some are on the side of the road. Each to their own. Havent yet found a place that Id say should be closed down, sure some havent been great with mainly poor service but as a whole Im quite happy with what is on offer here.

I didnt go to any poncy catering schools in any part of the world yet I still have a taste for good food. This is Thailand.... dont expect to see the same 'high' standard of surroundings from your own country here. Thats what makes countries unique. If they were all the same, what a boring place the world would be.

Standardisation is not always the answer, although the likes of McDonalds would probably disagree! However I find 'those' burgers to be the most boring and commercial that Ive tasted....but Im only a voice in the wilderness. McDonalds accountants would aslo disagree with my last opinion. (Millions of burgers cant be wrong).

I love the uniqueness (Is that a word?) that is Thailand, if I didnt.....I would piss off back to my birth country, letting those that enjoy the place, continue to do so.

wai.gif

"I walked in and what jumped out at me was that even though the salt shakers had rice in the shaker, the salt still clumped and was difficult to pour."

I hope that you stomped out immediately. This sort of thing does not stand in the hi-so, world renown, culinary capital Chiang Mai

Edited by Ulysses G.

No mention of the restaurant's name nor location....so therefore this review is totally hopeless. Its like reviewing a motor vehicle but not saying the brand or model.

As Daoyai above said...how was the Pizza? geez if I went to a pizza place decked out like that, I wouldnt be complaining.... Id probably be kicked out!

Lots of very good eating/dinning establishments in Chiang Mai. Some are in hotels and some are on the side of the road. Each to their own. Havent yet found a place that Id say should be closed down, sure some havent been great with mainly poor service but as a whole Im quite happy with what is on offer here.

I didnt go to any poncy catering schools in any part of the world yet I still have a taste for good food. This is Thailand.... dont expect to see the same 'high' standard of surroundings from your own country here. Thats what makes countries unique. If they were all the same, what a boring place the world would be.

Standardisation is not always the answer, although the likes of McDonalds would probably disagree! However I find 'those' burgers to be the most boring and commercial that Ive tasted....but Im only a voice in the wilderness. McDonalds accountants would aslo disagree with my last opinion. (Millions of burgers cant be wrong).

I love the uniqueness (Is that a word?) that is Thailand, if I didnt.....I would piss off back to my birth country, letting those that enjoy the place, continue to do so.

They don't have pizza however they do have ajdov kruchabeld from slovenia made with buckwheat flour and potato which you can sprinkle with olive oil, fennel and sesame seeds and tolminc cheese as a starter

wai.gif

The place that he is reviewing is <removed>. Its is located at the second red light after the big market in Sansai, after the puddles of water but before the barking dogs. They feature some of the finest Andorran food outside of Boston but their truffle sauce is not authentic and is totally unacceptable.

Edited by onthedarkside
name and shame rule
  • Like 1

What makes me think that you are a disgruntled restaurant owner that had his establishment dissed?

This probably sounds a bit silly, but have we EVER seen a GRUNTLED person, even a Restaurateur (yes, I said Restaurateur, which is correct regardless of how some folks might like to spell or try to pronounce it.)

Anyway, there are plenty of the Disgruntled types around, so what about those of us who may be described as, Gruntled?

give me a clue is it near a 711?

Bad guess, It is obviously near a Top Chaeron eyeglass store. Or was it the Family Mart? Maybe by the vendor that sells sunglasses? Electric razors? I am sure it is one of them.

Could someone give a hint where this place is? I don't understand the secrecy as I don't see anything derogatory about it. Who cares about the salt shakers.

The restaurant doesn't exist. The "review" is a parody of the reviews sometimes posted in this forum by chefs who are fond of citing their credentials..

Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 1

I find that when appropriate stating one's qualifications can be helpful as I'd rather know when it's a doctor giving me medical advice than a Chef who went to one of the best Culinary schools in the universe (while keeping in mind that we all know that jealousy is the sincerest form of flattery).

As for substituting something, especially when it is of lesser quality and cost, and not informing the buyer while charging the quoted price is dishonest and is called stealing. In the restaurant business, there is something called "truth in menu" and is akin to the hippocratic oath or a Priest's vow of celibacy which broken would have to be called the hypocritical oath and wow of getting it! For instance when ordering a meal by pointing to a picture of a menu item and being served nothing that remotely resembles it. Upon inquiring if one was indeed served the ordered item and you are shown the little printing at the bottom that says "photos for advertising purposes only", one knowing that the intention is to protect the restaurant and not to allow them to deceive, this is also called stealing. A true professional in any of these often lifetime pursuits would not be so dishonorable to disrespect the nature of their passion.

When discussing the attention to detail of the many facets involved in making a restaurant a place where one not only wants to return but leaves with a feeling of love in their stomach I for one always appreciate the effort.

Not that any of the hypothetical examples I've used have ever happened to me as I personally have enjoyed every meal I've had the pleasure to be served by the always attentive staff of the dinning establishments in our fair city.

I find that when appropriate stating one's qualifications can be helpful as I'd rather know when it's a doctor giving me medical advice than a Chef who went to one of the best Culinary schools in the universe (while keeping in mind that we all know that jealousy is the sincerest form of flattery).

I think that the comparison to a doctor who publishes his academic credentials misses the mark. In the case of the doctor, you are expecting him to perform specific tasks which he would have been trained to do in medical school or in his residency. That is not the case with a chef reviewing restaurants, he is not be asked to do anything that he was trained for, he is just offering his opinion on someone else’s business.

IMO, chefs representing themselves as being uniquely qualified to judge which is the best Italian restaurant in Chiang Mai because they attended a top culinary institute are more analogous to someone who tells you that The Clash was a better group than The Sex Pistols and that they know that to be true because they went to Julliard.

I think that the comparison to a doctor who publishes his academic credentials misses the mark. In the case of the doctor, you are expecting him to perform specific tasks which he would have been trained to do in medical school or in his residency. That is not the case with a chef reviewing restaurants, he is not be asked to do anything that he was trained for, he is just offering his opinion on someone else’s business.

IMO, chefs representing themselves as being uniquely qualified to judge which is the best Italian restaurant in Chiang Mai because they attended a top culinary institute are more analogous to someone who tells you that The Clash was a better group than The Sex Pistols and that they know that to be true because they went to Julliard.

Depends on your point of view.

#1 why did he have to go to so many different schools did he fail in them all.

#2 This was not a review of the food other than he said he liked it and his parents liked it. Also some might not have come from the place stated on the menu but he still liked it.

This is like comparing to a doctor. You hire him to take out your Gall Bladder and he does a magnificent job you are healthier than ever before.

But you complain about the instruments he used.sad.pngcoffee1.gif

#2 This was not a review of the food other than he said he liked it and his parents liked it. Also some might not have come from the place stated on the menu but he still liked it.

This is like comparing to a doctor. You hire him to take out your Gall Bladder and he does a magnificent job you are healthier than ever before.

And so I should if I had gone for laprascopic gall bladder surgery and ended up with a couple of huge machette slashes across my abdomen.

One thing that food reviews in the Chiang Mai forum make plainly clear is that attending a top culinary school produces a much large ego than does attending a top medical, engineering, or law school.

• Like 2

And so I should if I had gone for laprascopic gall bladder surgery and ended up with a couple of huge machette slashes across my abdomen.

You and I have different opinions on what "a magnificent job you are healthier than ever before"

are.

So let us agree to disagree.