Buying a second hand truck, nonsense?

Resa

We are moving to the countryside and where we live we will need a 4wd truck. We look for the Vigo Smartcab 3G 4x4 or something similar. It just seems that everyone is buying trucks new.

Is that really the best way to get them? If not what should I look out for when getting a second hand truck?

It really depends on how much you want to invest,there are many used trucks for sale and some in great shape.

I have bought five used trucks so far and never had any problems with them.

Now i have a Toyota Tiger 4wd 3liter automatic and i just think it is great,i do not like the look of newer trucks.

Before you buy you have to make sure you get all the needed paperwork,not a problem but if you are not sure ask the seller to come help you transfer the vehicle in your name and then you can pay him on the spot.

Just look around for awhile and a good deal is to be found.

I have bought 4 second hand trucks and never had a problem.most current is a 2007 vigo.paid 615000 and it had 15000km .and was one year old.new it was 890000. Do check that it hasn't had a severe accident or been used as a freight truck.4 door trucks are not used for fruit hauling.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Rather than start a new topic, can anyone advise if it is possible to get a reliable pre-purchase check on a used vehicle in the Pattaya/Jomtien area please ?

Also i imagine that any warranty given by a used car dealer is probably next to worthless, am I correct ?

Is it advisable to buy private or via a dealer please. ?

My budget 30-40 K, better value car or pick-up please ?

30-40K Baht seems a little expensive for a pre-purchase check, so I'm guessing you mean budget to buy the car. In that case, I hope you're talking Dollars, Euro or Pounds ;)

• Like 1

30-40K Baht seems a little expensive for a pre-purchase check, so I'm guessing you mean budget to buy the car. In that case, I hope you're talking Dollars, Euro or Pounds wink.png

TVM Sorry should be 300-400K Baht for vehicle

• 3 weeks later...

If you don't qualify for the 100k tax relief then I'd thoroughly recommend a one or two year old 4x4 - they will still have a year's warrantee left on them.

There is no 100K tax relief anymore, has been stopped a long time already.

If you don't qualify for the 100k tax relief then I'd thoroughly recommend a one or two year old 4x4 - they will still have a year's warrantee left on them.

And firs the first time in recent memory, it's a buyer's market in new cars..

Rather than start a new topic, can anyone advise if it is possible to get a reliable pre-purchase check on a used vehicle in the Pattaya/Jomtien area please ?

Also i imagine that any warranty given by a used car dealer is probably next to worthless, am I correct ?

Is it advisable to buy private or via a dealer please. ?

This are a few places along Sukhumvit Road, I know of one that's between the South & Central Roads on the left if you're heading towards Naklua. Take along a Thai friend who you can trust as the seller may offer a bribe to the mechanic for a trouble free report - this happened to me, the Thai person I was with warned me.

Alternatively go to the manufactures Dealer service center

Why would the used car dealer warranties be useless? 90% of their sales are to local Thais and they would quickly get a bad rep if this were so. Many of the tents give their vehicles thorough mechanical and cosmetic checks and repairs before putting them up for sale. The dealer on the west side of sukie near north Pattaya road has a very good selection of cars and trucks with 6 month warranties.

If you'd be happy with an older Toyota Sportrider SUV I've got one for sale cheap.

Why would the used car dealer warranties be useless? 90% of their sales are to local Thais and they would quickly get a bad rep if this were so. Many of the tents give their vehicles thorough mechanical and cosmetic checks and repairs before putting them up for sale. The dealer on the west side of sukie near north Pattaya road has a very good selection of cars and trucks with 6 month warranties.

If you'd be happy with an older Toyota Sportrider SUV I've got one for sale cheap.

It depends on the warranty and what it covers as to whether or not it's useless. For example, in the US a 50/50 warranty is common on used cars which is useless. Anything that goes wrong, they fix it, charge whatever they want, then pretend to pay half of it.

I know someone at work that might be interested in the Sportrider, if it is clean and low km. Send me some info.

Edited by mogandave

so take option "B" then! DUH!

If you don't write misinformation there is no need to react with a correction.

Edited by stevenl

Pm some info on the sportrider I might be interested

Learn to read!

Learn to read!

30-40K Baht seems a little expensive for a pre-purchase check, so I'm guessing you mean budget to buy the car. In that case, I hope you're talking Dollars, Euro or Pounds wink.png

TVM Sorry should be 300-400K Baht for vehicle

While I do agree the 30-40k baht figure is verging on the comical, I don't think 300-400k baht is necessary.

I'm currently driving a 30 year old Toyota Corolla that I bought about 5 or 6 years ago for 50,000 baht. Its only needed about 12,000 baht in repairs during those years (not including normal oil changes, battery replacements, etc.), and has only 'left me stranded' once (fuel pump).

I think you'll find the ThaiVisa Classifieds section a good source for used vehicles. I sold a good quality 4 WD truck there in no time at all. I had all my service records and it turned out to be a good deal for the farang buyer and for me.

Edited by lannarebirth