Extension based on marriage to thai

Hi, I'm seeing these changes to requirements for a non imm o based on marriage you get the feeling that the authorities want you to extend in country rather than applying for visas outside Thailand.

My situation makes it difficult to extend from my 1 year non imm o because I'm not in country long enough (60 + 30 days) to apply, normally I'm in country 5 or 6 weeks at a time followed by 5 weeks at work then back again, which makes the extension using that method impossible,,

but I heard someone mention on another thread that it's possible for qualifying nationalities to enter on a 30 day visa exempt then go directly to my local immigration office and apply for an extension, then receive the extension around 30 days later,,,, which if it's possible would maybe suit me ok,, can anyone confirm if this is correct?? And if so can I apply using this method for a 1 year extension? Or is it only possible to extend for shorter periods?

Thanks

No that is not an option - you convert to non immigrant Visa and then wait 60 days to extend and still requires you return 30 days later after review if for marriage. But multi entry visas do seem to still be available at most locations and indeed that fits your situation as you have said.

What you can do is enter and then apply for a non immigrant visa entry (90 days) within15 days of arrival. You would need to meet all the requirement for an extension including financial proof but money in bank does not need to be there 60 days. Then dependent on where you apply you have to return in15 days to get visa/entry stamp. Then apply for your extension 60 to 90 days from date you applied for visa. Showing all documents again.

Be aware that visa/entry cannot be done at all offices.

You could do this with your work schedule by getting a re-entry permit for the 90 day entry. But the tricky part is being here for the 30 day under consideration period. It would mean timing every thing just right. Another thing to consider is that most immigration offices start the 30 day period at the end of your permit to stay date. This means that if you apply 30 days early you have 60 days before you get your extension stamp. But you can get a re-entry permit for the waiting period.

You could also do it with a 90 day non-o visa entry.

No that is not an option - you convert to non immigrant Visa and then wait 60 days to extend and still requires you return 30 days later after review if for marriage. But multi entry visas do seem to still be available at most locations and indeed that fits your situation as you have said.

Believe some offices will do the conversion and accept the extension on the one day IF the financials are in order.

Ok, looks like as lopburi said my only option is to continue with the non imm o visa, was just looking for an option to make an extension whilst I'm Thailand in between work shedules which are normally 5 or 6 week periods,, my current entry looks as though it's the closest I'll get to that since the vessel I work on is in dry dock for repairs, been in Los for coming up for 2 months now but unlikely I'll still be here for another month,,

just another question relating to this,, if I were to apply for extension on my last 30 days of entry and I were called away from Thailand to work before the 30 days consideration period were up, would this cause any issues to my current non imm o visa which has still around 6 or 7 months remaining? ie: is the visa suspended or anything when applying for an extension?

Thanks for the suggestion joe, but I'm probably better just continuing with the non imm o route,, your suggestion is another option right enough, but in some cases I think I may be asked to show an onward ticket, not so bad doing that for one entry if I could've extended for a year, but no use if I'm in and out 5 or 6 times a year,

Thanks