Rock or Blues music in BKK

Mr Wimpy

Can anyone recommend somewhere I can get a drink in Bangkok and hear some decent upbeat blues or rock music? I know Saxaphone pub and have heard some OK tunes at the Black Swan. Anymore? Preferably somewhere I won't be bothered with "where you come from?" All the time. Cheers!

Sent from my jungle hideout

The Rock Pub seems to be dead most nights when there's no events or known bands on.

Can go in and they'll have great local bands doing metal and hard rock covers but no one in the pub.

Drinks are a little expensive too. Either 140 or 160B for a small bottle of beer. Can get a jug at any of the bars at Cocowalk for 140-170B.

Try New Wave in Soi 7.

Adul (Eddie), the Thai DJ, plays mainly rock and blues as he knows that's what most westerners in there like and most of it has been recommended by customers. He listens to what the customers say re the music, it's all accompanied by a video and if there's something particular you want to see/hear just tell him and he'll find it. Very occasionally he'll play Thai music for 10 minutes but that's just to keep the girls happy.

Thanks for ideas. Will check out aphoteka. Been to the pool bar before. Not my cup of tea. Also been to the place near khao San. Found it a bit cliquey but that was a while ago so might give it another go.

AlexRRR looking for something a bit better than the tired old drivel that passes for blues or rock in many live venues.

I've seen some top class acts at saxaphone pub. Not been anywhere that's come close so far bit keeping my hopes up. In fact I'm not really that bothered about the music being live. Just trying to avoid the usual Thai easy listening. I know some of the bars around sukhumvit play rock but really want a place I can chill out without the bar girl bullshit. Thinking about heading to the Madrid bar as I'm guessing they're into some old fashioned rock.

I've heard about a small bar/club called Brown Sugar, but I'm afraid I don't know where it is apart from Bangkok. I hear that it's very good.

http://www.brownsugarbangkok.com

Just found their website. Seems like it's more acoustic blues than rock.

Brown Sugar has a reputation of being a club for live jazz, keeping in mind that the Thai definition of 'jazz' can be quite broad. Nice club, though, not far from Khao San road. For rock/blues Aphoteka as mentioned, also Fat Gutz on Thonglor (not sure if they have music every night, but have a good band on Saturdays), and Bully's Pub (between Suk. sois 2 and 4) has a band most nights.

• Like 1

I've heard about a small bar/club called Brown Sugar, but I'm afraid I don't know where it is apart from Bangkok. I hear that it's very good.

Brown Sugar has a reputation of being a club for live jazz, keeping in mind that the Thai definition of 'jazz' can be quite broad. Nice club, though, not far from Khao San road. For rock/blues Aphoteka as mentioned, also Fat Gutz on Thonglor (not sure if they have music every night, but have a good band on Saturdays), and Bully's Pub (between Suk. sois 2 and 4) has a band most nights.

Oh, so, Brown Sugar's venue at Rachadamri Road (well, just off Rachadamri) has closed down and they have moved into the current location. I had no idea. Anyway, I will check out their new venue.

By the way, it is amazing how well the Saxaphone Pub has been doing since they opened (in 1987). I first went in there in 1991, and it was doing well; and then over the years, have gone there every now and then, and it has always been crowded.

Edited by JemJem

Just about every place with live band plays that tired old blues/gold........hey its 2013 now.

The problem is, the majority of expats are over 50, and refuses to listen to something else than Lynard Skynard, Greatful Dead, and The Eagles.

Brown Sugar has a reputation of being a club for live jazz, keeping in mind that the Thai definition of 'jazz' can be quite broad.

The term Jazz can be quite broad even in a non Thai definition.

• Like 1