PM Yingluck defends performance in 'challenging' first year

webfact

POLITICS
PM defends performance in 'challenging' first year

The Nation

30215597-01_big.gif

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Yingluck Shinawatra finally delivered her administration's first-year performance declaration to Parliament yesterday, stressing that the period was filled with challenges and problems on many fronts, ranging from politics, society and natural disasters to the global economic downturn.

The premier defended her numerous official trips abroad, saying they were aimed at restoring investor confidence in Thailand and fostering greater investment and economic ties with foreign friends.

Since the government came to power in 2011, it has sought to pursue three key policies - rebalancing the economy to strengthen fundamentals, fostering national reconciliation on the basis on equality and preparing the country for integration under the ASEAN Economic Community in 2015.

Up to 70 per cent of the economy is dependent on exports so a stronger domestic consumption base needed to be built, while the gap between the rich and poor needed to be narrowed.

This was partly achieved by giving people greater access to capital and pushing for a seven-year major infrastructure investment programme including high-speed train routes.

However, the global economic outlook remains volatile and complex. Spending on flood-prevention measures has led to the cutting of budgets for some ministries although advent of the AEC should help boost trade and tourism.

Deputy Premier and Finance Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong said employment remained stable with a low unemployment rate and the introduction of a Bt300 minimum wage at the beginning of the year "went well".

Appropriate measures have been introduced to expand the tax base and reduce farmers' debts. Prices of 42 commodities remained under government control and the prices of 140 more commodities have been temporarily frozen.

"The reduction of company taxes has led to the private sector being more honest in their tax payments," he said, adding that the first-car policy also enabled a million people to own a car, which was an important asset, and boosted their quality of life.

Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva presented a starkly different view of the government's 12-month performance, arguing that the administration had failed the people. He said independent figures pointed to Thailand losing competitiveness in all areas.

Petrol prices also became more expensive than what the government promised, causing hardship among the public, while the first-car and first-home schemes failed to boost the real economy. They had led instead to increasing debt.

"The prime minister must rethink how the economy is managed, because populist projects do not work and cannot strengthen the economy. It also created more risk," he said.

Fiscal discipline was also necessary, he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-25

• Like 1

What was cut out was her statement: "You want to talk about a challenge? Those peasants have no idea how difficult it is to travel overseas for so many meetings and have to match my shoes and handbags with my outfits. It's not like I only have one or two. Now I can truly empathize with Imelda Marcos".rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif .

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 1

I only ever passed a maths exam once in my high school days and was accused of cheating so imagine my pleasure at pointing out the maths teacher had counted up my marks wrongly !

Anyway the point of this is that even with my limited abiliity I have figured out the government is approaching the end of its second year in office yet only now is producing a report on the first year.

I'm sure all of us can advance good reasons as to why it has taken so long but I'm surprised as lying comes naturally here.

It's taken a year to come up with an excuse.

• Like 1

I only ever passed a maths exam once in my high school days and was accused of cheating so imagine my pleasure at pointing out the maths teacher had counted up my marks wrongly !

Anyway the point of this is that even with my limited abiliity I have figured out the government is approaching the end of its second year in office yet only now is producing a report on the first year.

I'm sure all of us can advance good reasons as to why it has taken so long but I'm surprised as lying comes naturally here.

It's taken a year to come up with an excuse.

and still it's a poor, inadequate one.

• Like 1

Instead of the PM and the Leader of the Opposition making separate statements it would be far more edifying for the nation to hear them debate the government's first year performance in parliament.

On television.... but NOT while a soap is on another station..! facepalm.gif

She didn't comment on the success of the rice scheme then? Complete with all the latest facts and figures to support its success. All those new sales etc.

She forgot to comment on her much anticipated and long awaited answer to the Ombudsman's question concerning the illegal action of her government in issuing a new passport to her fugitive criminal brother. Guess that still needs another 3 months extension.

She didn't explain all the work and achievements made in flood prevention. Carefully and thoroughly explaining exactly what the 350 million baht was spent on.

She didn't explain the successes in the fight against corruption or in pacifying the troubles South.

Perhaps she's saving all these for next time?

Mongolia, Montenegro, the Vatican, Poland - yep, some real big export markets there.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 2

The thing is that the first year was bleeding useless and the second year totally diabolical.

In releasing the report a year late the first year will look good against the second

Master stroke

The premier defended her numerous official trips abroad, saying they were aimed at restoring investor confidence in Thailand and fostering greater investment and economic ties with foreign friends.

and after this years flooding season it will be triple the trips, no tripe truly

Edited by klauskunkel

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Yingluck Shinawatra finally delivered her administration's first-year performance declaration to Parliament yesterday, stressing that the period was filled with challenges and problems on many fronts, ranging from politics, society and natural disasters to the global economic downturn.

It's called Karma wink.png

Karma-3.jpg

I think during the last floods she was busy with the passport for Thaksin work she was doing. I could be mistaken on this one but I seem to remember the floods and the passport thing overlapped, and she took some heat for it. I don't think she understands the criticisms, I for one have no issue with a glamorous PM with lots of fancy shoes and bling, or even with her jetsetting allover the place. My issue with her is that she isn't doing any of the urgent hard-infrastructure reforms in Thailand when she is here. She could dress like Dolly Parton and drive a platinum Rolls for all I care, if she worked hard for the people of Thailand, and not for overseas crooks-in-hiding.

coffee1.gif

Reason for edit : I can't type for toffee.

And why is that? Because the opposition stick legal barriers in the way of every single thing. And get this..... the opposition who are doing this is great new policy is a 2 trillion infrastructure plan.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Would you believe it.

Working in business in Bangkok it is clear people are now positive about the Government and the investment going forward. The views of TVF's retired and unemployed sloths do not reflect that of the Thai community which matters thankfully.

It is funny though, when I go see my Doctor, who is head of department in one of Bangkok's best private hospitals, and he is highly educated Bangkok citizen of 55~ years old, all he ever says is that this country is doomed unless PTP are kicked out. His opinion is echoed by several other Bangkok professionals such as my lawyer and insurance agent, all highly educated and all born and raised in Bangkok, and all view PTP as the proverbial iceberg that the Titanic was unfortunate enough to meet.

Those people by the way are not "elites" either, they are self-made success stories and they view Yingluck very negatively indeed.

But yeh ok "only unemplyoed & retired sloths" complain about PTP.

coffee1.gif

Can you read? i was referring to TVF's membership.

Working in business in Bangkok it is clear people are now positive about the Government and the investment going forward. The views of TVF's retired and unemployed sloths do not reflect that of the Thai community which matters thankfully.

It is funny though, when I go see my Doctor, who is head of department in one of Bangkok's best private hospitals, and he is highly educated Bangkok citizen of 55~ years old, all he ever says is that this country is doomed unless PTP are kicked out. His opinion is echoed by several other Bangkok professionals such as my lawyer and insurance agent, all highly educated and all born and raised in Bangkok, and all view PTP as the proverbial iceberg that the Titanic was unfortunate enough to meet.

Those people by the way are not "elites" either, they are self-made success stories and they view Yingluck very negatively indeed.

But yeh ok "only unemplyoed & retired sloths" complain about PTP.

coffee1.gif

Can you read? i was referring to TVF's membership.

> "The views of TVF's retired and unemployed sloths do not reflect that of the Thai community ."

I pointed out that this blanket statement by your good self, regarding the Thai community, is infact an untruth. And I provided examples, from my own very small world which nonetheless has Bangkok professionals who actually fear the consequences of PTP staying in power.

wai2.gif

Edited by Yunla
  • Like 1

So that's a fail across board! farmers in more debt first time car debt, the rice scheme, 300Baht minimum wage has boosted the economy NOT. With the latest flooding can we expect exports to be down not just this year but next as well? How many Japanese firms will decide enough is enough and move to another country?

And surely her trips abroad have increased other countries inward investment (Shopping trip) and done very little to stop the outward flow of investment for Thailand. So all together a very successful year!

Edited by ggold