Bangkok braces for floods as Chao Phraya River rises

webfact

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please ... you Farang posters. Stop this silliness blaming the Thai government for floods. Every country has floods. Look at Colorado in the US; look at the yearly firestorms in California; look at New Orleans. As I recall. you can see floods in 1942 with rowboats at Victory Monument. Bangkok is built on a mud flat, a flood plain. It's mother nature, not the government.

Thank you...

But only the Thai government is stupid enough to announce that boats are propelling water into the sea...

In which case Mr gold can I have my tax back and could you stop the government borrowing one penny to try to stop these inevitable floods.

• Like 1

Please ... you Farang posters. Stop this silliness blaming the Thai government for floods. Every country has floods. Look at Colorado in the US; look at the yearly firestorms in California; look at New Orleans. As I recall. you can see floods in 1942 with rowboats at Victory Monument. Bangkok is built on a mud flat, a flood plain. It's mother nature, not the government.

Thank you...

Too much commonsense in that TG

Most of these posters are looking for something to moan about and to vent their hatred of the PM and all things Thaksin.

Somehow, the descriptions of situations, any situation, are more dire on TV than they are in reality.

Goes with the forum, i suppose.

I've been flooded out a few times in the last few years, before you ask.............................

Flooded out?

Did you sit there believing all the government propaganda or move your possessions upstairs?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Did what any normal person does, made the house and factory as safe as we could, moved what we could, prepared as best we could and then started drinking beer............

What else can you do ???

And the propaganda ???

The wife showed me a picture of a dam bursting north of BKK. She said it hasn't been put on the news yet, but someone put a picture they took with a mobile and posted on a Thai forum..

She isn't here at the moment, but when she returns from town, I will get her to send me the link and better info.

As with the 2011 flood, please understand the difference between a dyke and a dam, before posting these stories.

I know the difference between a dam and a dyke... thanks.

It was a dam, and was a photo of the spillway that had the added boards slotted into it to increase the capacity and delay the spillways coming into effect.

The top 2 boards had ruptured and the water was gushing through.

Please don't assume that someone is stupid and naive before posting YOUR comments.

The wife not back from town yet to post the link ?

• Like 1

There are so many expert Hydrologists here on Thai Visa I'm surprised there is any problem at all. You should start a company and contract your services out to the Thai government. After all, you are all experts on the subject and assume there are no competent local engineers. I'm sure they would love to hear your expert input in regards to this matter.

Sorry... But the same government won't allow us to work here, they can handle it on their own with Thai engineers.

They are doing a great job. We will just sit back and discuss where they are going wrong instead.

Then again. I don't think a discussion largely based on the failings of the people in charge of the country, and their false propaganda which can end up being potentially lethal to their citizens by attempting to convince them that everything is fine while a very dangerous and possibly deadly situation is bearing down on them can be construed as TV members being hydrologist experts.

Your spin on this discussion is excruciatingly banal. Do you have to twist this so you feel comfortable posting in your usual apologist way?

Let me guess..... You have been here 3 months?

• Like 2

The wife showed me a picture of a dam bursting north of BKK. She said it hasn't been put on the news yet, but someone put a picture they took with a mobile and posted on a Thai forum..

She isn't here at the moment, but when she returns from town, I will get her to send me the link and better info.

As with the 2011 flood, please understand the difference between a dyke and a dam, before posting these stories.

I know the difference between a dam and a dyke... thanks.

It was a dam, and was a photo of the spillway that had the added boards slotted into it to increase the capacity and delay the spillways coming into effect.

The top 2 boards had ruptured and the water was gushing through.

Please don't assume that someone is stupid and naive before posting YOUR comments.

The wife not back from town yet to post the link ?

Yes... But she can't find it now.

She has probably surfed a hundred pages since that one.

Here we go again.

And where did the hundreds of millions in flood prevention measures go? Someone's new house?

Oh, come on, don't be so cynical; I'm sure it built many new houses, purchased many new cars, etc. One can only hope for good karma: that the new cars and houses will be flooded by the repairs and improvements not made.

• Like 1

During the big flood, the government purposely flooded my area to make sure the water didn't touch the nearest shopping mall, I had to put up with a metre of water and there wasn't a single drop outside that mall 1km away. It is doubly annoying as that street could have taken a good foot or two without touching the mall as it is on higher ground. If they do the same again, I shall be really p#$$ed off !!

• Like 1

During the big flood, the government purposely flooded my area to make sure the water didn't touch the nearest shopping mall, I had to put up with a metre of water and there wasn't a single drop outside that mall 1km away. It is doubly annoying as that street could have taken a good foot or two without touching the mall as it is on higher ground. If they do the same again, I shall be really p#$$ed off !!

I wonder why they opt to flood out thousands of people's home to save a handful of businesses.... could it be that the homes usually are not insured, but the businesses in the mall are?

Or could it possibly be that the owner of the mall has influence with the right people?

• Like 1

As. Someone mentioned, the last time we had problems in BKK it was towards the end of October. Certainly, the scenario doesn't look good, hopefully it won't be as bad as it was last time, but when an idiot like Plod starts making comments, which he has, then it's time to start worrying. Yingluck though, will likely go on an overseas jaunt very soon.

• Like 1

hellodolly...

First of all: it is no secret, that I am a part time PTPredshirt supporter?

a) even if: so what? b ) maybe in your wild and weird fantasy. Just because someone asks for some balance in some posts, doesn't make him a supporter of one or the other!

...and secondly: do me a favor and google "sarcasm" or "irony", Mr. Knowitall!

I was referring to Thaigold and philw in my reply and you might have noticed that, if you would not see a Thaksin- fan behind every bamboostick...wai.gif

My statement the first line on your retort nullifies a) and B)

I saw no balance in your statement. out and out nonsense.

• Like 1

I don't think things will get as bad as 2011. There just isn't the runoff heading south from the northern region. Chiang Mai is dry at the moment. Reservoirs, rivers & canals are low. 2 years ago there was a hell of lot of water released at the same time as massive rains.

Chiang mai rain doesn't go to BKK.

All the water from the already flooded provinces goes to BKK.

Chiangmai rain does find its way through the rivers and dams into the chao prays.

There are so many expert Hydrologists here on Thai Visa I'm surprised there is any problem at all. You should start a company and contract your services out to the Thai government. After all, you are all experts on the subject and assume there are no competent local engineers. I'm sure they would love to hear your expert input in regards to this matter.

Sorry... But the same government won't allow us to work here, they can handle it on their own with Thai engineers.

They are doing a great job. We will just sit back and discuss where they are going wrong instead.

Then again. I don't think a discussion largely based on the failings of the people in charge of the country, and their false propaganda which can end up being potentially lethal to their citizens by attempting to convince them that everything is fine while a very dangerous and possibly deadly situation is bearing down on them can be construed as TV members being hydrologist experts.

Your spin on this discussion is excruciatingly banal. Do you have to twist this so you feel comfortable posting in your usual apologist way?

Let me guess..... You have been here 3 months?

Wind back the throttle a little or you'll blow a gasket. Bangkok's drainage problems have been common knowledge for decades. Built on a flood plain at the end of a huge catchment area, massive population increase, land is sinking, oceans rising, clongs filled in etc, etc. Successive governments are guilty of neglect, not just this one.

Oh, and in respect to your last sentence, multiply that figure by a factor of 90 and you will be going close.

Thank you...

Too much commonsense in that TG

Most of these posters are looking for something to moan about and to vent their hatred of the PM and all things Thaksin.

Somehow, the descriptions of situations, any situation, are more dire on TV than they are in reality.

Goes with the forum, i suppose.

I've been flooded out a few times in the last few years, before you ask.............................

Flooded out?

Did you sit there believing all the government propaganda or move your possessions upstairs?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Did what any normal person does, made the house and factory as safe as we could, moved what we could, prepared as best we could and then started drinking beer............

What else can you do ???

And the propaganda ???

It's all under control

Nothing to worry about

Splendid

hellodolly...

First of all: it is no secret, that I am a part time PTPredshirt supporter?

a) even if: so what? b ) maybe in your wild and weird fantasy. Just because someone asks for some balance in some posts, doesn't make him a supporter of one or the other!

...and secondly: do me a favor and google "sarcasm" or "irony", Mr. Knowitall!

I was referring to Thaigold and philw in my reply and you might have noticed that, if you would not see a Thaksin- fan behind every bamboostick...wai.gif

My statement the first line on your retort nullifies a) and cool.png

I saw no balance in your statement. out and out nonsense.

Have a look in the mirror and google "narcissist", will you?!

Are you the internet- police?

And why do you take offense in a mail, that was not even directed at you?

...and not the commentator it followed?!

I live in Pathum Thani and I have not seen anymore work done since more than x2 weeks ago in putting the dikes along the canal near krong 3. I seeing the progress of the installation of the dikes along our canal and it has been slow with many stopping of work along the way. If the floods come in, I can't even imagine the amount of water that will be passing through the incomplete dike installation in our area , I just hope our Chomfa village will not get the brunt of the floods because of the lack of completion.

Most of Bangkok will be flood-free despite 2 approaching storms,National Disaster Warning Center assured /The Nation

Like the word play here... "Most of Bangkok will be flood-free"....in two weeks the can just change it to "Most of Bangkok will be flooded after the 2 storms..." .Everyone staying above the 50m mark of sea level in Bangkok will be fine- for "most" of the rest...sorry....wai2.gif

• Like 1

*Deleted post edited out*

She did want to built the anti-flood infra.

But opposition leader Mark was against it; so if there is a flood, blame Mark for stopping the mega projects.

I thought he lost the last election..... that is like blaming Bush again!

The map you posted is from November 4,2011 and not a recent map

Actually the displayed map infact is from today. For obscure reasons they have a link to an old map to be be downloaded at the top, but if you open the dropdown box with dates at the top right of the main area you'll see dates and selecting them you'll see the map change and the red areas reflecting the story as it has unfold the last week.

Edited by rishi

Trust there to be a farang journalist who actually clears up the question.

Go over to bangkokpundit, there is a proper journalists statistical analysis of the situation in the dams. Seems there is plenty of space.....

Great finally some honest and clear data. Thanks for this