Stamping a new number into an engine and getting the book updated.

Spoonman

Killed the engine in my Ranger and bought a new one from Ford, it does not come with an engine number stamped into it and you have to put in an application (To Ford) to have one allocated.

So got the engine and the new number, how do I legally have the number stamped into the engine block and have the book updated accordingly.

Anyone been through this before ?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the new engine doesn't have a number, and the old engine is out of circulation, how would it turn out if you stamped it with the old number ?

I guess nobody would actually notice.

The OEM number is some sort of lazer etching, a new one will be banged with a set of punches. I know the difference and I suspect so would the dept of land transport and as well as a buyer when it comes time to sell it.

I want it done properly with the correct documention to match.

If the new engine doesn't have a number, and the old engine is out of circulation, how would it turn out if you stamped it with the old number ?

I guess nobody would actually notice.

The OEM number is some sort of lazer etching, a new one will be banged with a set of punches. I know the difference and I suspect so would the dept of land transport and as well as a buyer when it comes time to sell it.

I want it done properly with the correct documention to match.

Off topic I know Spoonman, but how did the warranty / insurance claim pan out? Or were you left on your own?

We put a used engine in one of the Dmaxs at work a couple of years ago after an unfortunate incident. From memory we took the truck, book specs and receipt for the used engine that was installed to the DLT. They checked the numbers corresponded to the paperwork and that was about it.

We put a used engine in one of the Dmaxs at work a couple of years ago after an unfortunate incident. From memory we took the truck, book specs and receipt for the used engine that was installed to the DLT. They checked the numbers corresponded to the paperwork and that was about it.

Yeah done engine swaps before.... I guess the question Iam asking is how to legally stamp the new engine with the new number as at some time in the future I will most likely want to sell the vehicle (it is currently 12 months old with 13,500km on the clock) so would like all to be above board and not look dodgy.

Edited by Spoonman

So your year old, low mileage Ford engine imploded, well within warranty and Ford don't want to know..........Correct ?

Water in engine = warranty void, which part do you have trouble understanding ?

Well sorry old fruit but I haven't been following all your Ford woes, last thing I recall was lost compression, but if your Mr.Angry today thats OK. smile.png

Edited by transam

Sounds like Mr Angry doesnt know a Radiator Cap , from the Oil filler Cap then. Or the Head distorted letting in the Water.Still its not funny to have all that happen to whats realy a new Vehicle, as to the Question , each Province has its place to stamp engines,go to where its first registerd with the Book ,they sort it..coffee1.gif

as to the Question , each Province has its place to stamp engines,go to where its first registerd with the Book ,they sort it..coffee1.gif

Do you know rhis for fact, on the phone they don't seem to know and before I haul the lump all the way to BKK I want to be sure.

Edited by Spoonman

Yeah done engine swaps before.... I guess the question I am asking is how to legally stamp the new engine with the new number as at some time in the future I will most likely want to sell the vehicle (it is currently 12 months old with 13,500km on the clock) so would like all to be above board and not look dodgy.

This is an excellent question - and I feel your predicament: A classic case of Thai bureaucratic (nobody knows) run around!

Ultimately, it will come down to you locating the one (or two) 'officials' who specifically handle this task. It is going to take perseverance (and a lot of patience on your part).

Car repair shops as well as automobile dealerships install new engines into cars all the time and DLT offices process practically every single one of them. I would keep persevering between these 3 until I came across someone with the knowledge of (and ability to communicate to you) the steps you have to take to get your replacement engine legally stamped.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

as to the Question , each Province has its place to stamp engines,go to where its first registerd with the Book ,they sort it..coffee1.gif

Do you know rhis for fact, on the phone they don't seem to know and before I haul the lump all the way to BKK I want to be sure.

Well. thats the Route for replacement engines for Heavy Plant registered for road use,so i'm not positive about Private Vehicles.thumbsup.gif .

Yeah done engine swaps before.... I guess the question I am asking is how to legally stamp the new engine with the new number as at some time in the future I will most likely want to sell the vehicle (it is currently 12 months old with 13,500km on the clock) so would like all to be above board and not look dodgy.

This is an excellent question - and I feel your predicament: A classic case of Thai bureaucratic (nobody knows) run around!

Ultimately, it will come down to you locating the one (or two) 'officials' who specifically handle this task. It is going to take perseverance (and a lot of patience on your part).

Car repair shops as well as automobile dealerships install new engines into cars all the time and DLT offices process practically every single one of them. I would keep persevering between these 3 until I came across someone with the knowledge of (and ability to communicate to you) the steps you have to take to get your replacement engine legally stamped.

I actually purchased the engine from our own dealer and even they do not know, they say all engine they replace already have a number stamped into it.

Are the Ford engines made here or imported? Maybe the engines are imported by Ford into a BOI duty free zone then etched and put in trucks and sold. They don't pay any duty on engines in trucks exported to Australia etc. but may have to pay duty on engines for trucks sold in Thailand. I would let the Ford dealer who sold you the engine do it.

Last resort take the truck and the engine receipt to the Land Transport Office and ask.

I actually purchased the engine from our own dealer and even they do not know, they say all engine they replace already have a number stamped into it.

ALL the engines they replace. Hmmmmmmmmm, not a good ad for their engines is it. sad.png

ALL the engines they replace. Hmmmmmmmmm, not a good ad for their engines is it. sad.png

It is a long established Mazda dealer so why would it be bad advertisement that they have replaced a few engines over the years ?

This is the first 2.2 engine that they have had dealings with and also the first that has come with no number stamped on it.

Just taking a stab here so don't lambaste me please but it seems that even IF they noticed the number difference why would it be a problem? If there was no # previously and you have the paper work on the new one you just bought should be no problems for the Transport office, they'd just note the change in your blue book when reported.

Just taking a stab here so don't lambaste me please but it seems that even IF they noticed the number difference why would it be a problem? If there was no # previously and you have the paper work on the new one you just bought should be no problems for the Transport office, they'd just note the change in your blue book when reported.

..... it would be a problem because theoretically, it could very easily be an opening to 'govt approval' of potential cleverly orchestrated fraudulent document cases and this would not be an optimum way to manage a department bureau where following posted departmental guidelines is the correct path in the long run.

This is exactly what Iam trying to find out, is it as easy as me stamping a new number then fronting the transport office ?

Seems dodgy because now that I have the document from ford with the number what is stopping me from stamping a stolen engine and fitting (in the future if I kill another).

With or Without matters not, the Book must match the Vehicle. Big prob when one sells and the etchings dont match the Book. Never heard of a codeless engine myself, there must be one,or how do you claim when it fills up again.?.ermm.gif

If you bothered to read this thread title you will notice it also mentions getting the book updated.

And yes, the engine must have a number, I thought that was a given.