Stamping a new number into an engine and getting the book updated.

Spoonman

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So got the engine and the new number, how do I legally have the number stamped into the engine block and have the book updated accordingly.

If I got this right, you do have a new number, it's just not stamped into the block...do you have paperwork from Ford stating this number? If yes, stamp the number yourself, take to DTI with paperwork from Ford and they ought to do a rubbing of the new number and stick that in the book.

Disclaimer rolleyes.gif ...I've never done this before, but should work because there is no previous record/rubbing of the engine number Ford have given you

Edited by Neilly

yeah should mention I do not have the book, the finance company does !!

Tell the finance company what's going on and they ought to release to book to their agent to have it updated. One guy I know replaced his engine and DTI wanted to see the old one

Sorry to chip in here without an answer for you but I don't understand how there can be an engine without a number. Even here in LOS that seems a bit extreme.

As I understand it you have paperwork, a receipt, for the engine that has a number but there is no number of any sort stamped on the actual engine.

How do you know you have the right engine? blink.png

Sorry to chip in here without an answer for you but I don't understand how there can be an engine without a number. Even here in LOS that seems a bit extreme.

As I understand it you have paperwork, a receipt, for the engine that has a number but there is no number of any sort stamped on the actual engine.

Or a rebuild. sad.png

• Like 1

Or a rebuild. sad.png

One would think a rebuilt engine would already have a number.

Moot point though as you cannot buy oem pistons for the 2.2 puma engine and I doubt anyone would go to the expense of custom ones when a short motor is cheap.

A Genuine Ford Remanufactured Engine now comes with a 2 Year Unlimited KM/ Milage, unless their websie is wrong.Theres allways a chance it is. Seems they build em better than O.E.if you read up.biggrin.png

Where on www.ford.co.th is this stated, not that I would buy a remanufactured engine anyways.

You don't need the book, same as you don't need the book to pay your yearly taxes, you can proceed with a copy of the book and the finance company will have the book updated later.

I don't understand why you need a tilt tray to go to Bangers. Stamp the engine with the number given, drop it in and drive it to where ever you need to go to get it checked.

Is this the correct procedure though ?

That is the answer Iam looking for because at some time in the future I will most likely want to sell the thing and have no desire to be <deleted> around cause the engine swap appears to be dodgy.

You don't need the book, same as you don't need the book to pay your yearly taxes, you can proceed with a copy of the book and the finance company will have the book updated later.

I know.

I have recently paid the yearly road tax and compulsory insurance, what relevance does this have to having the engine number stamped ?

I know.

I have recently paid the yearly road tax and compulsory insurance, what relevance does this have to having the engine number stamped ?

The relevance is that things can be checked at other locations as where the car is registered, and the book will be updated anyway.

They have computers and internet these days, you know biggrin.png

All engines come from factory with a number. LOS must be the worse place not to have an engine number as here paperwork and numbers rein.

Once on the street it could be a stolen lump with the ID removed. Main dealer should sort it.

Erm people, I didn't say "NO number" I said the same engine number as the previous engine stamped. I agree that the dealership that sold the engine should sort it though, but that has been shot down already.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Just taking a stab here so don't lambaste me please but it seems that even IF they noticed the number difference why would it be a problem? If there was no # previously and you have the paper work on the new one you just bought should be no problems for the Transport office, they'd just note the change in your blue book when reported.

This is exactly what Iam trying to find out, is it as easy as me stamping a new number then fronting the transport office ?

Seems dodgy because now that I have the document from ford with the number what is stopping me from stamping a stolen engine and fitting (in the future if I kill another).

Well on the up side the engine has NEVER been stamped so it can't really be considered stolen obviously, there is no tampering with a previous ID and you have paper work (I assume) from a dealership for the new engine so I don't see it becoming an issue if it is registered as a repair in the blue book.

With or Without matters not, the Book must match the Vehicle. Big prob when one sells and the etchings dont match the Book. Never heard of a codeless engine myself, there must be one,or how do you claim when it fills up again.?.ermm.gif

Most crate engines have no code..

Or a rebuild. sad.png

Reman would have a number..

Well seems the process is,

Take old and new engine to Transport Dept along with all supporting documents for the purchase of new engine and the Transport Dept will stamp the new engine and update the book and their records.

Than can put engine into vehicle and all is happy and above board.

Anyone wanna buy a 13 month old Ranger with less than 14k on the clock (still has not had first service @ 15K !!) ?

Well seems the process is,

Take old and new engine to Transport Dept along with all supporting documents for the purchase of new engine and the Transport Dept will stamp the new engine and update the book and their records.

Than can put engine into vehicle and all is happy and above board.

Anyone wanna buy a 13 month old Ranger with less than 14k on the clock (still has not had first service @ 15K !!) ?

Thanks for posting the correct procedure for exchanging engines - it actually makes sense after all!

Are you selling the Ranger with the new motor installed? If so, what kind of warranty will the new engine have from Ford?

Tell me it's an automatic transmission ....

What are its specs (4 door?), any mods and photos?

Edited by thailoht

Sorry,but I did not follow your story...so how exactly did the water get inside the engine?And any tips to prevent this to happened?...(I do own a Ranger and occasionally will have to go through some paddles)...

...nice truck BTW...

Edited by funcat