lots of questions

careless

Hi we have been wintering in Samui for about 5 years now. We have never been to Chiang Mai but we're thinking of re-locating this year. So here are some of my questions..

1. What would one expect to pay for a low end clean bungalow, one bedroom? possibly with a pool, walking distance to night market, store?

2. Any good dentists? Hubby will need dental surgery done this winter.

3. What's the weather like Dec- March?

4. Back to the housing question, whats a good area? Not too touristy but not too quiet..

5. Doesn't have to be a bungalow can also be a condo or apartment with fridge and hotplate type cooking device.

thanks Carol

Edited by careless

1.What would one expect to pay for a low end clean bungalow, one bedroom? possibly with a pool, walking distance to night market, store?

8k-12k below 60 sqmeters....60 sqmeters up 15k

Dont know

cool and crisp, gets smoky from slash and burn around mid February

4. Back to the housing question, whats a good area? Not too touristy but not too quiet..

Nimanheimin road, many boutique restaurants, coffee shops, pubs, shopping mall and market within walking distance.

5. Doesn't have to be a bungalow can also be a condo or apartment with fridge and hotplate type cooking device.

Empire Residence, Punna, Hillside 2, One Plus.....On Huay Kaew Road - Bliss,Trio, Nakorn Ping, Hillside 4, Furama

They will all have fridges, hotplates can be bought at Lotus.

If you know how to navigate the area, traffic is not as big a problem as people will tell you. Besides that everything that you need is within walking distance.

Edited by KRS1
  • Like 2

Bungalow walking distance to the night bazar is unlikely. Townhouse or shophouse or condominium is easy. If stairs are the issue then do get a bungalow, but then you're a bit further away.

Heard good things about the dentist in Panthip Plaza.

Weather wise it's the best time of the year for Dec-Jan and a good part of Feb. But you want to be out of here by march, as many years get really bad haze in late Feb and March.

1.What would one expect to pay for a low end clean bungalow, one bedroom? possibly with a pool, walking distance to night market, store?

Dont know

Nimanheimin road, many boutique restaurants, coffee shops, pubs, shopping mall and market within walking distance.

Empire Residence, Punna, Hillside 2, One Plus.....On Huay Kaew Road - Bliss,Trio, Nakorn Ping, Hillside 4, Furama

If you know how to navigate the area, traffic is not as big a problem as people will tell you. Besides that everything that you need is within walking distance.

If you like Samui--I'm not sure that CNX will be 'your thing'.

The sea is a long way away, the food is totally different, the Northerners speak slower, are quieter and not 'Jai Dam', 'Peau Khao' not 'Peau Dam', but you might find it a refreshing change.

Take most of the above with a large pinch of salt.

Oh yeah-- traffic has really begun to be a bitch up here.

Joking aside--Dentist--good one at Empress Dental, Canal Road, opposite Moo Bah Nai Fan;

Grace Dental, also, good and near to Ninmanhemin Road--if you're locating there.

Edited by haybilly

The sea is a long way away, the food is totally different, the Northerners speak slower, are quieter and not 'Jai Dam', 'Peau Khao' not 'Peau Dam', but you might find it a refreshing change.

Joking aside--Dentist--good one at Empress Dental, Canal Road, opposite Moo Bah Nai Fan;

Grace Dental, also, good and near to Ninmanhemin Road--if you're locating there.

Where have they said that they like Samui ?

Weather is great in the winter months, cooler in the evenings, clear blue skies nearly every day, no rain, the smoke in Feb/ Mar can be a problem but it doesn't affect everyone.

Edited by alfieconn

Bungalow walking distance to the night bazar is unlikely. Townhouse or shophouse or condominium is easy. If stairs are the issue then do get a bungalow, but then you're a bit further away.

Heard good things about the dentist in Panthip Plaza.

Weather wise it's the best time of the year for Dec-Jan and a good part of Feb. But you want to be out of here by march, as many years get really bad haze in late Feb and March.

Dont know

There are 3 night markets on this side of town, food on suthep road and the usual flea market kind of stuff at 2 markets on huay kaew road after crossing canal road.

I had quite a bit of dental work done here in Chiang Mai last year at the dental clinic of Chiang Mai Ram Hospital. Two separate dental surgeries performed and a total of 10 crowns installed. I had Dr. Sansanee Puttikankit for the oral surgeries and Dr. Parima Uttarapong for the crown work. I am very satisfied with their work and how they performed the services. Chiang Mai Ram is not the cheapest place around to get dental work done but it was still a lot less than it would have cost me back in the U.S.

Prior to choosing them for my dental work, I asked a number of expats who have lived here for some time who they would recommend for the type work I needed. I asked them for two or three choices. I received a number of different dentists/clinics recommended to me but Chiang Mai Ram always was one of the recommendations. That's what led me to choose them.

• Like 1

I'll second the comments on the "Smokey Season" from about mid-Feb to mid-Apr. I arrived here in Chiang Mai early March 2012 and many days you could barely see the sun. Some days were so bad my eyes would be burning after a short time outside. And it was even worse further north in Chiang Rai. They had multiple airline flights into Chiang Rai cancelled because of the smoke "haze". It started to clear up with some rain showers in the first part of April.

To be fair, I will say that a number of long-time expats here have told me that 2012 was a particularly bad year for the smoke pollution I've met a number of people here that plan trips elsewhere each year during that time. I made sure I was elsewhere for Feb-Mar 2013 and I have already made plans and airline reservations for a vacation trip for the month of March 2014.

Thanks for the input folks. We probably wouldn't stay the entire time in Chang Mai. Just need a home base to leave most of the luggage and take jaunts from there. Samui is great with awesome beaches, just looking to change things up...any other tips suggestions would be great.

thanks againthumbsup.gif

I had quite a bit of dental work done here in Chiang Mai last year at the dental clinic of Chiang Mai Ram Hospital. Two separate dental surgeries performed and a total of 10 crowns installed. I had Dr. Sansanee Puttikankit for the oral surgeries and Dr. Parima Uttarapong for the crown work. I am very satisfied with their work and how they performed the services. Chiang Mai Ram is not the cheapest place around to get dental work done but it was still a lot less than it would have cost me back in the U.S.

Prior to choosing them for my dental work, I asked a number of expats who have lived here for some time who they would recommend for the type work I needed. I asked them for two or three choices. I received a number of different dentists/clinics recommended to me but Chiang Mai Ram always was one of the recommendations. That's what led me to choose them.

I am glad to hear that, in the later case, there is improvement. The crown work I had done by the latter a few years ago took an absurd seven visits (including two temporary crowns which popped off. Nothing complicated about the situation. A real pro gets the job done in two, at most three visits. Perhaps she has learned something since!

Otherwise, Chiang Mai Ram is generally more expensive than any other place in town, as far as I know, albeit still cheaper than in rich countries. I suggest another place, actually that is on the pinned list.

You said "low end" one bedroom. You don't have to pay 8k or more if you really mean low end.

HERE are some ads from the classified on this site. 86 ads from 3k to 7k IF you really mean low end.

most of those are studios.

Weather is great in the winter months, cooler in the evenings, clear blue skies nearly every day, no rain, the smoke in Feb/ Mar can be a problem but it doesn't affect everyone.

"...the smoke in Feb/Mar can be a problem but it doesn't affect everyone."

It most certainly does effect everybody except those who don't breathe.

"...the smoke in Feb/Mar can be a problem but it doesn't affect everyone."

It most certainly does effect everybody except those who don't breathe.

It doesn't affect me and i'm breathing most of the time laugh.png

• Like 1