I love Thailand

Nayet

I don't use the word "love" very often, but I truly love living in Thailand. I have a long list of things that I like about Thailand, but only a very short list of things that I don't like..........

Unlike a lot of expats who work as teachers or in corporate environments, I do all my work from home. I wonder if people who work out of their homes are better able to keep a certain distance to Thai society and therefore don't get into all the complications of dealing with the Thai mentality.

So you.love living in Thailand because you've isolated yourself from Thai society.

"Keeping a certain distance" is very different from "isolating". Also, I don't know if that is why I love living here since I've never had a "normal" job in Thailand. It's just a hypothesis.

Just got here, huh?

if you are referring to me. it would depend on your own perception of time. I have lived in this particular Moo Baan for 10 years. My Mother In Law for well over 20.

I first 'got here' in 1970 actually.

How about yourself?

• Like 1

Ok. I will tell you the secret. Seriously. No Charge,

The Secret is 'Man Bot'

Mashed Potato!

They only love me for my mashed potato.

Whenever we have a social function, where everyone brings their 'Signature Dish' to share I am always in great demand for Mashed Potato. The buggers just can't get enough of it ever since I spoiled them by placing the finished mashed potato into a baking tray, with mozzarella cheese and diced TGM Canadian Bacon on top and placed under the griller.

But keep that under your hat, I don't tell everyone.

Edited by cpofc
  • Like 2

Just got here, huh?

if you are referring to me. it would depend on your own perception of time. I have lived in this particular Moo Baan for 10 years. My Mother In Law for well over 20.

How about yourself?

Guessing they're referring to the op.

Op, I'd posit your average boozer is more in with Thai society and all its foibles than your average teacher/corporate type.

well I love it here too, there are some draw backs but over all it is a great place to live and I have no intention of moving back to Australia. We all have our bitches now and then about someone/thing but thats natural and to be expected but it does not detract from the country. By the way, I agree with the post above, being able to make great mashed potatoes helps people like you too, every time someone comes over they want me to make them, go figure.biggrin.png

Edited by seajae

Just got here, huh?

How about yourself?

Op, I'd posit your average boozer is more in with Thai society and all its foibles than your average teacher/corporate type.

If I wanted to go bush I'd be an immigrant, not an expat.

Ok. I will tell you the secret. Seriously. No Charge,

The Secret is 'Man Bot'

Mashed Potato!

They only love me for my mashed potato.

Whenever we have a social function, where everyone brings their 'Signature Dish' to share I am always in great demand for Mashed Potato. The buggers just can't get enough of it ever since I spoiled them by placing the finished mashed potato into a baking tray, with mozzarella cheese and diced TGM Canadian Bacon on top and placed under the griller.

But keep that under your hat, I don't tell everyone.

You have spoilt them, how can anyone top that!! thumbsup.gif

I don't use the word "love" very often, but I truly love living in Thailand. I have a long list of things that I like about Thailand, but only a very short list of things that I don't like..........

Unlike a lot of expats who work as teachers or in corporate environments, I do all my work from home. I wonder if people who work out of their homes are better able to keep a certain distance to Thai society and therefore don't get into all the complications of dealing with the Thai mentality.

So you.love living in Thailand because you've isolated yourself from Thai society.

"Keeping a certain distance" is very different from "isolating". Also, I don't know if that is why I love living here since I've never had a "normal" job in Thailand. It's just a hypothesis.

Are you speculating about your own hypothesis?

Edited by Dancealot

he has a very valid point! thumbsup.gif fact is that a foreigner without Thai family connections has not much to gain from Thai society. au contraire!

well when youve been away for 6 months, missing your wife and child,

it brings it home how much you do love the place, and great to get home,

i think it might come to us having to live in england for a few years, im just so bloody busy and like i say, you really really miss your home,

jake

Just got here, huh?

How about yourself?

Yup.

Just got here, huh?

How about yourself?

Yup.

I'm not so sure. The Thai blokes I work with are real lightweights when it comes to bevvin'

Just got here, huh?

How about yourself?

Really? Feel free to state your case.

In my view, folks who spend most of their time in bars (I assume that's what you mean by boozer) are (on some level) in touch with the segment of Thai society that turns tricks on Sukhumvit Rd. As for the rest of "normal" society? Not so much.

Teachers interact with average Thais on a daily basis. Those who bother learning some Thai probably have an even better chance of getting to know their host country.