DLT offers training courses to Bangkok taxi drivers ahead of AEC

webfact

DLT offers training courses to taxi drivers ahead of AEC

taxi.jpg
Source: Stock file

BANGKOK, 26 September 2013 (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport is planning to provide training courses to taxi drivers in Bangkok following a slew of complaints from passengers.

The courses will target around 1,500 taxi drivers who offer their services to passengers landing at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports in a bid to improve the level of service and safety ahead of the formation of ASEAN Community.

The department revealed that during the past three months alone, over 6,000 complaints have been lodged over impolite service, refusal to take on passengers, failure to deliver passengers to their intended destinations and reckless driving.

More than 20,000 complaints against taxi drivers have been submitted so far this year which mostly focused on drivers who point-blank refuse to take passengers to their destination.

Drivers can face a fine of 1,000 baht if a first offence is proven; the same fine and a seven-day licence suspension for a second offence; and a fine of 1,000 baht and permanent licence cancellation for a third offence.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-26 footer_n.gif

My taxi I was in yesterday we were stopped at a police check point on the outskirts of BKK and my driver was find 200Baht because he did not have a blue shirt on, very efficient police spotting that I wonder who did the police awareness training course.

• Like 1

3 charges and loose a licence big deal they will still be on the road.

I have never seen a taxi licence photo that remotely ressembles the driver in BKK

It would be better to educate the drivers in road knowledge

Back in 2007 I took a cab from swampy to don Muang too bad I ended up miles away at a shopping mall.

As i tried to catch another cab the driver was screaming I robbed him cheesy.gif

• Like 1

My taxi I was in yesterday we were stopped at a police check point on the outskirts of BKK and my driver was find 200Baht because he did not have a blue shirt on, very efficient police spotting that I wonder who did the police awareness training course.

well at least they got their priorities right eh rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Ugh. I take cabs almost every day here in BKK. Most days are fine. No problems getting in a cab, the meter being used or crazy, dangerous driving. However, those days when you can't get one to stop or take you where you want to go or they drive like a fricking lunatic, are the days that make you want to scream. I've had a few nasty incidents with some drivers. Really, law enforcement is needed. Not only to keep the taxis in line, but to make the roads in general safer. A training course is a good start, but enforcement is desperately needed. Oh, and give the drivers training on how to use a map and learn the streets of BKK. That would be nice.

• Like 2

Ugh. I take cabs almost every day here in BKK. Most days are fine. No problems getting in a cab, the meter being used or crazy, dangerous driving. However, those days when you can't get one to stop or take you where you want to go or they drive like a fricking lunatic, are the days that make you want to scream. I've had a few nasty incidents with some drivers. Really, law enforcement is needed. Not only to keep the taxis in line, but to make the roads in general safer. A training course is a good start, but enforcement is desperately needed. Oh, and give the drivers training on how to use a map and learn the streets of BKK. That would be nice.

I live a bit outside and you can have a 5 taxis that refuse you before you catch one that goes....

• Like 1

If the Powers that Be.. being DLT, Police or Government truly wish to do something about the taxi drivers in Bangkok then they should go anywhere between Asoke and Nana after 10pm. I'd say about 90% of taxi drivers in this area are up to 'no good'... i.e on the make, trying to charge extra etc...

Elsewhere 90% of the time the taxi's are quite reasonable with just a handful of idiots ruining it for the many.

100% of the time I have a drink with friends anywhere between Nana and Asoke I have difficulties getting a taxi back home (even by waving down passing taxis).

95% of the time I have a drink with friends outside of the above mentioned area I have no difficulties getting a taxi back home.

I live a bit outside and you can have a 5 taxis that refuse you before you catch one that goes....

Yep - and that seems to have gotten worse over the last couple of years. Before I had very few refusals. Now, maybe 30% "decline".

I have it on good authority (the som tam lady at the end of the soi) they are waiting for either Jackie Chan or Jet Li to come over so these taxi drivers can hone their samurai sword skills.

Jet Li and Jackie Chan are Chinese martial artists - not Japanese. clap2.gif

Taxis used to be really difficult in the UAE a few years ago. Now all new metered, automatic receipts, speed controls, clean and polite drivers. Woe betide a driver who refused a fair there or was rude in some way. The taxis are still relatively cheap and always busy. The drivers I've spoken to there are much happier than before. It can be done if there is a will.

I've met some really great taxi drivers here, some obnoxious and a couple of crooks. The issue here is you never know what you're going to get - no consistency of service or quality.

• Like 1

It's the end of the month. Nothing to do with diligence, all to do with the lack of the policeman's funds. That's my guess. whistling.gif

I have it on good authority (the som tam lady at the end of the soi) they are waiting for either Jackie Chan or Jet Li to come over so these taxi drivers can hone their samurai sword skills.

Jet Li and Jackie Chan are Chinese martial artists - not Japanese. clap2.gif

Taxis used to be really difficult in the UAE a few years ago. Now all new metered, automatic receipts, speed controls, clean and polite drivers. Woe betide a driver who refused a fair there or was rude in some way. The taxis are still relatively cheap and always busy. The drivers I've spoken to there are much happier than before. It can be done if there is a will.

I've met some really great taxi drivers here, some obnoxious and a couple of crooks. The issue here is you never know what you're going to get - no consistency of service or quality.

Technically, you might find that actually Jackie Chan is not even Chinese, but a British Dependent Territories Citizen ...

If the Powers that Be.. being DLT, Police or Government truly wish to do something about the taxi drivers in Bangkok then they should go anywhere between Asoke and Nana after 10pm. I'd say about 90% of taxi drivers in this area are up to 'no good'... i.e on the make, trying to charge extra etc...

Elsewhere 90% of the time the taxi's are quite reasonable with just a handful of idiots ruining it for the many.

100% of the time I have a drink with friends anywhere between Nana and Asoke I have difficulties getting a taxi back home (even by waving down passing taxis).

95% of the time I have a drink with friends outside of the above mentioned area I have no difficulties getting a taxi back home.

I agree, The poor service is promulgated by the lack of enforcement. I live outside the city center and I dread meeting friends for a drink in the Nanna, Asoke or Dusit area. It is common to hail up to ten seperate taxis' in order to find one that will take me home on a metered fare. E

So, Somchai has been driving for 10 years and someone's decided it's time he learnt how to. I guess the authorities think it's easier to train the horse to push the cart with its nose.

Sad to see services declining as in the past, it wasn't hard to get a cab to the outskirts (avoiding the ranked taxis, of course) and some of the drivers were fun to talk to.

Ahhh the old closing the gate after the horse has bolted routine... Brilliant...

Though to be fair, in the number of trips I've taken from the west side of BKK to Swampy, I'm yet to have the infamous rip off act, don't even need to head upstairs to the departures level.

The trip's worth around 500 on the meter plus tolls - for a trip that's just under an hour - yeah the driver's a maniac but there's not many around that aren't...

Going into the CBD's probably a different story and I'd take the AOT option if needed.

I am sure that getting rid of the drivers who dont adhere to rules would go a long way. No need for 3 strikes. One is enough and get caught without a license then spend some time in jail... No fine, just straight to jail.

Sometimes harsh measures are needed to deal with harsh people

My experience this morning - from Sukhumvit just near The Landmark hotel - to Soi Thaniya off Suriwongse Rd. - at around 9.30am - traffic pretty good - a really easy route straight down Rama 1 left into Henri Dunant across Rama 1V and then left into Soi Thaniya - usually about B60 - B80 on the meter and around 15-20 mins. Six taxis declined even after I offered a flat B100. Seventh guy was very polite and spent the entire trip bemoaning the parlous state of the taxi industry in Bangkok! (and he used the meter) And before anyone says it - yes, I usually take the train but sometimes I have lots of things to carry.

My main gripe with taxis is the sheer recklessness of the drivers. Speeding, tailgating, swerving here and there - crazy. All of these problems however all come back to the same thing - as they do with so many things in this great, but strange place - law enforement and respect for the rule of law. Almost non-existent. It is endemic!

This is something I would have already expected of being implemented prior to them receiving that little plastic placard in their windshield. Out west in a world where I come from a Taxi/Limousine course is given over a period of 3 days (a tuition/fee is collected by local government) This course covers popular tourist spots, landmarks, 4-5*hotels, etiquette and maps.

This ensures that all independent contractors and owner-operators hired by companies to transport tourists and the general public have the basic knowledge needed to perform the simple tasks requested of them. (taking them from point A to B ) Its only logical that the local government would step in and take control over this as tourism is a major profit industry to some cities/provinces.

We all know that here in Bangkok we have an influx of drivers from the Isaan area that flock here for jobs and have no clue where MBK, Siam Paragon, The Palace, Lumpini Park, Snake Farm, Chatuchak Market, Jim Thompsons House etc are.

I went through 4 taxis and 1 on his cell phone to take me to State Tower on Silom. I gave him every variation that I could think of. (LeBua, State Tower, State Dome, Scirocco, SkyBay, Silom) He had no clue.

Edited by YeaBiGgiEs

That's just hilarious, I still talk to my mates down the pub about BKK taxi drivers. I always told them, when they came here, to catch a cab late at night. An experience not to be missed.

I remember once, I told a tuk tuk driver I would double the fare if he got me home and back to town really quickly. I was really pissed when I jumped in, but my god, I was sober as a judge when we got back to town....Do tuk tuks still go round every corner on 2 wheels??...just asking.

post-177475-0-30524300-1380267743_thumb.

Edited by adjustedpete