Should I settle in KL or Thailand

tezzainoz

I understand farlang are really not welcome in Thailand, but my money is !!!!

But I have heard that Malaysia Via Air Asia is only 2 hours away and you are welcome

Can any one tell me what requirements are require to buy a home and retire in Malaysia

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can tell you 3 things about KL.

1. The girls in this cosmopolitan city are gorgeous.

2. The street side restaurants are in my view better than Thailand

3. The beer is more expensive than London, in fact, it is generally a very very expensive city if you situate yourself outside of the local enclaves.

PS. Direct flight from CNX

Edited by iancnx
  • Like 1

KL is not ideal.

Malacca and Penang are nice, but perhaps a bit quiet.

Either way, Malaysia is a much better option than Thailand.

Think .........

1. cleaner

2, safer

3. fewer (sex) tourists

4. better police

5. less corruption

I've been to Melaka, Johor, Ipoh, Penang and KL several times over the years, but only as a tourist. I will live on Penang fulltime from April next year, but even my somewhat rosy view of Malaysia doesn't quite line up with your own. I sincerely hope I'm just being Mr Negativity here.

(FWIW, if Ipoh had a decent airport with a direct flight to Bangkok, that would be my choice. The food is fantastic, the kids still smile at a passing Bule and I had zero problem with crowds. As I said, a rosy view :) )

You can buy landed property in Malaysia as a foreigner. But it must be over 500k ringgit. This amount goes to your mm2h requirement. Cops are very corrupted especially if you are not local, they ask for bribes for traffic offenses. The ruling party is in the same boat and gives every advantage to Malays only. Many times you read in the local press how a Chinese who had 10 A in the A level exams were not given a place in the local U. Singapore then comes in and offers the Chinese a full board and tuition fee scholarship in sg, with options to become a PR. A better place to stay in Malaysia is Penang, good food,airport and nice people, more Chinese here, however house prices are much more then elsewhere in Malaysia.

Iskandar in Johor state is just coming up and you can get houses there at a reasonable price, but going up fast due to foreigner buying up the property, including a lot of Singaporean. In Malaysia due to the crime rate, caused mostly by Indonesian illegals, most foreigner stay in gated and guarded communities. Is it just not safe to live outside them as you will be the target of all the local crooks.

I can tell you 3 things about KL.

1. The girls in this cosmopolitan city are gorgeous.

2. The street side restaurants are in my view better than Thailand

3. The beer is more expensive than London, in fact, it is generally a very very expensive city if you situate yourself outside of the local enclaves.

PS. Direct flight from CNX

Traffic jams as bad or worse than Bangkok.

Heat and humidity as bad as Bangkok.

Thai sex-workers at double the price.

Even more boring culturally and artistically than Bangkok (though the Dewan Filharmonic Hall is a gem).

Nice airport.

Good restaurants.

KL is not ideal.

Think .........

1. cleaner

2, safer

3. fewer (sex) tourists

4. better police

5. less corruption

And don't forget the joys of Sharia law and being able to proudly tell your friends and family you live in an officially Islamic state!

Better than saying you live in the world's brothel and the average (single male) tourist is just a reject who can't get a woman.

• Like 1

Iskandar in Johor state is just coming up and you can get houses there at a reasonable price, but going up fast due to foreigner buying up the property, including a lot of Singaporean.

Interesting. So it's pretty glaringly obvious that by allowing foreigners to buy land and house, the price goes up. That seems pretty logical to me. As for Thailand....

KL is not ideal.

Think .........

1. cleaner

2, safer

3. fewer (sex) tourists

4. better police

5. less corruption

And don't forget the joys of Sharia law and being able to proudly tell your friends and family you live in an officially Islamic state!

Better than saying you live in the world's brothel and the average (single male) tourist is just a reject who can't get a woman.

I always maintain I'm in the Far East. "No, no! Can't stop! I'm off to the Far East!"

Naturally they assume that's Pattaya and I get the usual ladyboy jokes. But they'd be wrong!

I had to show the girls at work photos of the houses and my kids and a normal life before they accepted I wasn't a sex pest. Hell, I can't even get it up!

• Like 1

KL is not ideal.

Think .........

1. cleaner

2, safer

3. fewer (sex) tourists

4. better police

5. less corruption

Much rather live where it's easy to have four girlfriends than four wives.

• Like 1

KL is not ideal.

Think .........

1. cleaner

2, safer

3. fewer (sex) tourists

4. better police

5. less corruption

Much rather live where it's easy to have four girlfriends than four wives.

Can you imagine having four wives? I mean, how many shelves does a bloke want to put up in his life?

• Like 2

KL is not ideal.

Think .........

1. cleaner

2, safer

3. fewer (sex) tourists

4. better police

5. less corruption

Boring

Muslim...boring again

More boring

No fun

Ummm.yep boring

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I disagree with the comment above that KL has gorgeous women. I dont think that I saw one in 2 days. Apart from that KL is a hole of a place to live. The worst taxi drivers in the world live in KL and the traffic is terrible. 

choke dee

I have friends in very good jobs who want nothing else but to be transferred to bangkok. Guess that saysit all. And it is boring

KL is not ideal.

Think .........

1. cleaner

2, safer

3. fewer (sex) tourists

4. better police

5. less corruption

The only place I got mugged was in kl and I don live there. Just passingby. Safer lol. Less corruption ? Lol. Better police ? Lol

Detention without trial. Heard of it. Keep dreaming.

All depends in what you are looking for......

If you wants to live like a King, with little money, nothing better than Thailand.

If you wants to have a gorgeous and younger girl friend or wife, even a successful woman, even if you have little money, nothing better than Thailand.

If you want to invest, or have a lucrative business, with little money, nothing better than Thailand.

If you want to live in a beautiful city, with all the amenities, without violence, corruption, traffic, pollution, with a easy immigration office, good airport, good climate, good jobs, good and very active expat community, and low cost housing.....nothing better than Thailand...

Yes...Chiang Rai is in Thailand.

If you get boring with the nice things to get busy in Chiang Rai, take the plane and with little money fly North to China and Korea, or south to Malaysia, Singapore or Indonesia, to spend in one day what you will spend in Chiang Rai in one week.

But..if that is not interesting for you, do not live in wonderful Thailand....live in Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket....

• Like 2

I disagree with the comment above that KL has gorgeous women. I dont think that I saw one in 2 days. Apart from that KL is a hole of a place to live. The worst taxi drivers in the world live in KL and the traffic is terrible.

choke dee

I have friends in very good jobs who want nothing else but to be transferred to bangkok. Guess that saysit all. And it is boring

Cause they cant wait to get back to the temples, right ? ;)

You see lemons, I see lemonade : I'll be within 10 minutes of the airport at Penang and in ~2 hours from that point (the early evening AirAsia flight has yet to run on time in my experience), I expect to touch down at DMK. Or Jakarta. Or PP/HCMC/AC - a little further to Tokyo/Seoul, but its all good. Do I need Cowboy at the bottom of my apartment block to enjoy my retirement ? No, but it's good to know that there are other options an hour or so away, and cheap flights at that. Some manage that feat out of Perth or Darwin, but I guarantee you their cost of living is exponentially higher than Penang. Horses for courses.

Ultimately, I dont believe any of us are speaking from any more firsthand experience than a visa run or shopping trip to Malaysia - happy to hear otherwise - and 12 months from now I'll be able to agree or disagree from the POV of someone who has been there for six months and has some idea whether its his cup of tea or not. More to the OPs original query - would I choose Kuala Lumpur ? No way, even if I was being offered a hefty package to move there. It's not as bad as Jakarta - thank God - but that traffic annoys me more on each successive trip.

Big advantage for someone wanting to dip their toe in the water in M'Sia is the automatic 90-day stay on arrival that the majority of TVers are entitled to, and the ease with which you can get a second stamp simply by spending a weekend in Bangkok or wherever. Downside is that most landlords want you to sign a 6-month lease minimum, but I've seen nothing to indicate that there is a shortage of longterm accommodation on Penang. Swings and roundabouts.

All depends in what you are looking for......

If you wants to live like a King, with little money, nothing better than Thailand.

If you wants to have a gorgeous and younger girl friend or wife, even a successful woman, even if you have little money, nothing better than Thailand.

If you want to invest, or have a lucrative business, with little money, nothing better than Thailand.

If you want to live in a beautiful city, with all the amenities, without violence, corruption, traffic, pollution, with a easy immigration office, good airport, good climate, good jobs, good and very active expat community, and low cost housing.....nothing better than Thailand...

Yes...Chiang Rai is in Thailand.

If you get boring with the nice things to get busy in Chiang Rai, take the plane and with little money fly North to China and Korea, or south to Malaysia, Singapore or Indonesia, to spend in one day what you will spend in Chiang Rai in one week.

But..if that is not interesting for you, do not live in wonderful Thailand....live in Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket....

cheesy.gif

• Like 2

choke dee

Cause they cant wait to get back to the temples, right ? ;)

You see lemons, I see lemonade : I'll be within 10 minutes of the airport at Penang and in ~2 hours from that point (the early evening AirAsia flight has yet to run on time in my experience), I expect to touch down at DMK. Or Jakarta. Or PP/HCMC/AC - a little further to Tokyo/Seoul, but its all good. Do I need Cowboy at the bottom of my apartment block to enjoy my retirement ? No, but it's good to know that there are other options an hour or so away, and cheap flights at that. Some manage that feat out of Perth or Darwin, but I guarantee you their cost of living is exponentially higher than Penang. Horses for courses.

Ultimately, I dont believe any of us are speaking from any more firsthand experience than a visa run or shopping trip to Malaysia - happy to hear otherwise - and 12 months from now I'll be able to agree or disagree from the POV of someone who has been there for six months and has some idea whether its his cup of tea or not. More to the OPs original query - would I choose Kuala Lumpur ? No way, even if I was being offered a hefty package to move there. It's not as bad as Jakarta - thank God - but that traffic annoys me more on each successive trip.

Big advantage for someone wanting to dip their toe in the water in M'Sia is the automatic 90-day stay on arrival that the majority of TVers are entitled to, and the ease with which you can get a second stamp simply by spending a weekend in Bangkok or wherever. Downside is that most landlords want you to sign a 6-month lease minimum, but I've seen nothing to indicate that there is a shortage of longterm accommodation on Penang. Swings and roundabouts.

Yes most of my impressions are from visa runs to both Penang and KUL of 2-3 days duration but multiple times. I've also been to Malaysian Borneo, Kota Kinabalu and sipadan for diving. Penang is pleasant enough but suffers mightily during the burning season on neighboring Indonesian islands. The food is cheap and decent but never found anything outstanding...doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Shopping selection is primitive compared to a central mall anywhere in Thailand. I'd you're working I guess it's okay if you have a good package...but boring and the beaches, both sand and water, are dirty compared to Thai beach resorts.

KUL pretty much sucks wind compared to either Bangkok or Singapore...but gain, if you're on a package you can put up with it. I'm sure you'll find nice girls and plenty of recreation and some cultural stuff if you settle in for a time. I've read in Malaysian press that quality medical care can be a problem if that's a concern.

I guess that's pretty much why they have to offer the incentives they do to retire there...because few would want to otherwise.

I think Kuala Lumpur is probably the place I've worked where my expat colleagues have complained least about the city that they find themselves in. The biggest problem is that drink is mind-numbingly expensive. Not that I want to encourage you...

My apologies for not being able to answer the questions in the OP, but I understand retirement visas require a much higher income than Thailand. If you're planning on retiring, then I don't think I would recommend either Bangkok or KL. Purchase of property by foreigners is subject to approval by Government, but I think approval is rarely withheld. You can legally own landed property, I believe, as a foreigner

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy