Should I settle in KL or Thailand

tezzainoz

Is MEDIUM higher or lower than relatively moderate?

There wasn't a lot of quantitative data there, although the survey referenced first showed that Malaysians worry more about crime. They probably report more crimes as well, perhaps because they trust their police more. Or perhaps becuase they are more likely to have insurance... as rugby fans will know, there's no point speculating.

Anyway, I don;t think crime is a good reason to choose one over the other. You're more likely to get a traffic fine in Malaysia, and less likely to get asked for a bribe

SC

That's well written. Your wikipedia link shows that murder rates in Thailand are more than double those of Malaysia.

This link, http://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=Malaysia, seems a bit silly since it's concerned mainly with the extent to which people worry about crime. This is very different to hard core stats (as per the Wikipedia link).

Another thing to consider is road safety. Thailand has the second highest traffic death rates in the world. As a tourist traveling in a hired car, you're much more likely to become "collateral damage" in Thailand than Malaysia.

And then of course we have the jet ski scams, the muggings, the jewelry scams, the bargirl scams, and so on and on.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is MEDIUM higher or lower than relatively moderate?

There wasn't a lot of quantitative data there, although the survey referenced first showed that Malaysians worry more about crime. They probably report more crimes as well, perhaps because they trust their police more. Or perhaps becuase they are more likely to have insurance... as rugby fans will know, there's no point speculating.

Anyway, I don;t think crime is a good reason to choose one over the other. You're more likely to get a traffic fine in Malaysia, and less likely to get asked for a bribe

SC

That's well written. Your wikipedia link shows that murder rates in Thailand are more than double those of Malaysia.

This link, http://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=Malaysia, seems a bit silly since it's concerned mainly with the extent to which people worry about crime. This is very different to hard core stats (as per the Wikipedia link).

Another thing to consider is road safety. Thailand has the second highest traffic death rates in the world. As a tourist traveling in a hired car, you're much more likely to become "collateral damage" in Thailand than Malaysia.

And then of course we have the jet ski scams, the muggings, the jewelry scams, the bargirl scams, and so on and on.

I think murder statistics are probably fairly sound. It's unlikely that a murder will go unreported, and they are quite hard to brush under the carpet, while less heinous crimes may not be worth reporting in some places. However, the minor crime that you or I - particularly you, Mr Average - are likely to suffer may not be closely correlated with the murder rate. I believe loutish street violence is more prevalent in the UK than the USA, although the murder rate is much lower.

Certainly, I feel safer in Chiangat Bukit Bintang than in lower Sukhumvit, because the quality of pissed foreigner stumbling about is higher (self excepted); and also there's no streetside knife vendors

SC

There wasn't a lot of quantitative data there, although the survey referenced first showed that Malaysians worry more about crime. They probably report more crimes as well, perhaps because they trust their police more.

Ehhh..., the survey also takes into account the crimes actually reported, a statistic where Malaysia outperforms Thailand by some margin. And now you claim that this is due to the reluctance in Thailand to report crime?

In all, your posts so far are all based on personal beliefs and speculation, and as soon as someone provides facts "it's not a lot of quantitative data there".

I'd rate that attempt to refuse admitting to be wrong as at least three gardeners on the multilingual Naam-scale.

cheesy.gif

Personally, I'm confident the safety levels are comparable, though I'd be VERY careful in JB (based on years of experience). To suggest that Malaysia a is "much safer" is simply wrong.

Edited by Forethat
  • Like 1

I am p...off with people here talking bad about Thailand and its people. I live in many countries around the world, from Argentina, Brazil to Mexico to the US, and Israel, and visited many Asian countries to find my retirement spot. People here are complaining about the low pay jobs but not saying nothing about the low cost of living. Talking about violence and corruption, but living on the most disgusting tourist areas of the country. The only thing expensive in Thailand considering other countries' cost of living, it is the alcohol and the gasoline. I think most negative people here, are the ones with nothing to do and to learn, just driving around looking for easy women, and drinking their lives away.....without any interest in understand, assimilate, and enjoy the culture.

For a western.....trying to have an Asian experience, moving to Taiwan, Kuala Lumpur or Singapore, is like to move to New York to live in Chinatown....and with no other choices around....But...if you are young, and just looking around to make your mind....enjoy the ride.

• Like 2