sea view to no view

came home today to find this view 2807 from my rental bungalow
the neighbour just decided to add an additional 3 metres to his property [previously our ground level]
Tongson villas once had fantastic views over tongson bay on the island of Samui
however it seems that as development is moving at a frenzied pace on the island the wealtly foreingers dont care about thier neighbours
and the government isnt doing anything about it either , by handing out building permits without checking the environmental impact[or the neighbours ]
its a dog eat dog scenario of total greed over morals
[attached are before and now pictures of a once great view , where many have come on honeymoon ]
and alas theres still another 3 metres to go
promises from the developer about guaranteed views have just dissapered ,with little [or no] comeback avaliable to protect ones investment
who would want to invest in thailand after this ????
just dont figure does it

post-122291-0-17229000-1380290687_thumb.post-122291-0-84447100-1380290749_thumb.

Really not much you can do ! I would however get everything checked to see if he has permission to build ( you would be surprised how many people don't ! )

Also , is he extending on top ? Ie how high will his building be as you look as if you are in a slope ?

• Like 1

If its a rental bungalow then just go rent another one !

You don't buy a view in any country. Having said that, most countries give you the chance to see and object to proposed plans in advance smile.png

Sounds like a purchase rather than a rental and you are entirely correct in that someone should never buy a view unless they can actually buy the view. Whilst I do feel sad for the OP I also have to feel that it's the OP's fault.

have a look at the headland in the distance

its the same in both pictures

the bungalows are mine [which ive rented with views for many years ]

and if you add 3 metres we will be looking at a block wall within the next few months

very difficult to rent without views

they were supposed to finish at the level they are at now [which was very reasonable ]

however they have decided to add another level so this now becomes a floor and not a roof anymore

according to discussions with the neighbour and contractor a few months ago

spoke to the contractor yesterday when i arrived home and asked when the plan was changed ?

reply = about 2 weeks ago

Think you must get your ass in gear and go ask some questions and take along a solicitor. Perhaps a ''back hander'' was given to alter the plans. whistling.gif

If its a rental bungalow then just go rent another one !

You don't buy a view in any country. Having said that, most countries give you the chance to see and object to proposed plans in advance smile.png

In many countries view is not guaranteed. Australia is an example.

spoke to the contractor yesterday when i arrived home and asked when the plan was changed ?

Think you must get your ass in gear and go ask some questions and take along a solicitor. Perhaps a ''back hander'' was given to alter the plans. whistling.gif

Worth a go for sure.

You must have known that this would happen in the future? If you don't buy a place right on the beach, you have to expect changes. I know this is not what you want to hear, but then again, false expectations? Maybe you should build 4 more stories onto your place?

Can't see the point in getting upset. Just move.

This is the deal you made living on an island in a third world environment. I wouldn't have been surprised if you said it was a fifty story blue coloured skyscraper being built infront of you which would be quite feasable pending on who you know and what you're worth.laugh.png

would be great if i could afford to build up 12 metres but this was a retirement plan with a little income from renting a couple of sea view bungalows

seems we will have to lower our living and eating standards

Ouch

Not much in the way of options really. The legal route is going to cost you and is likely to be fruitless while building upward will require a huge investment. Making the bungalows super wheelchair friendly could be a selling point I guess.

just exactly what did you ask the contractor? surely you should be asking for the approved plans and cause a real stink about it?

I can't see why the contractor would tell the poster anything if he doesn't want to. If my land and I had plan's why would I tell you anything. I think all are assuming the builder is in the wrong.

It appears once you have a property on your land and are in possession of your house registration book you can add on without extra planning consent it is the same with your borders one day you could come home and find your neighbours have built right up to the perimiter at least you only rent so you can move on as a written rental agreement means nothing it is a worthless piece of paper

just exactly what did you ask the contractor? surely you should be asking for the approved plans and cause a real stink about it?

I can't see why the contractor would tell the poster anything if he doesn't want to. If my land and I had plan's why would I tell you anything. I think all are assuming the builder is in the wrong.

Sorry for second there I thought I misread this when reading up on land,

'You must however apply for planning permission from the local municipality office and your building plans will have to be certified by a qualified engineer or qualified architect'

so it wouldn't go amiss if you ask the contractor or municipality office for the approved plans that wouldn't be an issue would it? seems the plans changed 2 weeks ago and all has been rushed through the municipality office and agreed, must be the fastest agreement on Samui to date. Something doesn't feel right to me that's all. Once you get to see the plans at least you will know how to better prepare for the future now.

• Like 2

back handers are just about always needed for building plans on samui

thats part of the problem

we can make an official complaint [ive done it before ]however without a back hander , no body follows up your complaint

and if they do follow up your issue then a simple backhander can make it go away

if indeed there is no building permit in place Now for the addition , there soon will be [maybe with another backhander to speed up the process]

this is just a moral issue

why block your neighbors view ? when it wasnt necessary , nor in your original plan?

just doesnt figure

Really not much you can do ! I would however get everything checked to see if he has permission to build ( you would be surprised how many people don't ! )

Also , is he extending on top ? Ie how high will his building be as you look as if you are in a slope ?

yes if you can afford it check to see if he is all in his building legal limits and if not then go to the tessabaan and complain. if they do nothing then u might want to take them to court.

also get your neibours together. the more people complain the stronger your case,

sure then have a building hight regulation and they cannot have open roof top baloconies. Is it a forang company bulding or a Thai owned buiulding

its a thai owned company as you all know foreigners cant own land

the construction company is following orders from the owner so its not really thier problem

also myself and 2 other land owners went to the tessabahn some years ago and filed 3 separate complaints about another neighbours construction ......result = not a thing , not even a visit to the property , simply because there was no exchange of currency , and very simply my neighbour has more money than me so its a no win situation in this country

anybody want some land with partial sea views ?

seems to be my only option

i did ask the contractor about the building permit [im in construction business myself ]

a copy of the building permit is supposed to be avaliable on the site , however its been withheld from my viewing by instructions from the owner [according to the contractor ]

there are many many illegal things not being done/followed with construction in thailand [tit]

many many buildings are started on samui without the building permit being granted [in the process its called] just the same as the cheques in the mail

• 1 month later...